PDA

View Full Version : Stetson hat to be new Army standard headgear

JJ_BPK
04-01-2011, 05:56
Stetson hat to be new Army standard headgear

Apr 1, 2011

By Army News Release

Army officials announced today that the Army will pay tribute to it's frontier roots by adopting the dark blue stetson and the official headgear for the current force of 1.1 million Soldiers. Soldier will wear the stetson with non-subdued rank and branch insignia on the front. The Army star will only worn by Soldiers who have yet to graduate Advanced Individual Training, or the Officer Basic Course.

http://www.army.mil/-news/2011/04/01/54202-stetson-hat-to-be-new-army-standard-headgear/index.html?ref=home-headline-title0

Don't worry about the 400 verities of fatigues,,

Throw away your Black Berets..

Are Cowboy boots in your future???

:D:D:D:D

Richard
04-01-2011, 06:15
GEN Abrams and his tanker/cav buddies are celebrating in their graves!

K-9 Stetsons will also be issued in conjunction with Doggles to ensure explosive detection dogs have maximum protection, while looking as fierce as their handlers.

There will be some restrictions on wear. In a nod to other dress blue uniform traditions, general officer Stetsons will be black and must have a completely flat brim. All other wearers of dark blue Stetsons will be allowed any combination of opposing but matching curls of the side brims, up-to-twenty-degrees up or down. However no single-side flapping of any portion of the brim will be allowed.

"Is that a 21 degree curl on that side brim, soldier?" :rolleyes:

1 Apr 2011 - and who says the Army has no sense of humor! :D

Richard :munchin

Pete
04-01-2011, 06:15
Why not the 1883 SpanAm hat?

http://www.oshkoshmuseum.org/Virtual/exhibit4/e40141a.htm

It's a brownish color and would go good with any cammy uniform.

Oh, wait, we're talking a fashion statement with the Blues

Pete
04-01-2011, 06:22
Guys, this is April 1st? Right? Maybe? I hope?

"........The Army's official adoption date of the Stetson will be April Fool's Day, 2012................"

greenberetTFS
04-01-2011, 07:15
Guess what,"I believe it",April Fool's Day or not!.......:rolleyes: Why in the heck are they doing to us what they did to the "snake-eaters"? Asked one officer familiar with the board's deliberations. "If you ain't Cav, you ain't ought to be wearing a Cav hat. That just ain't right..............:eek: Pete might be right,however nothing would surprise me,look what they did to the Rangers Beret!......... :(

Big Teddy :munchin

JJ_BPK
04-01-2011, 07:23

I believe this is the one Rangers will wear???

Pete
04-01-2011, 07:35

I believe this is the one Rangers will wear???

The 1880's saw the transition begin from the blue to the tan Army. By 1905 the Army was in Khaki with bolt action smokeless powder rifles.

The Regular Army went into the SpanAm war in Blue shirts and trapdoor Springfields.

The "Campaign Hat" has long been preferred over the "Kepi/patrol hat" by field troops for over 160 years.

mark46th
04-01-2011, 08:40
Now we can play "Cowboys and Muslims!"

Buffalobob
04-01-2011, 09:22
The concept is good but the color is wrong.

Sdiver
04-01-2011, 09:31

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ....

:D :D :D :D

JustaSupportGuy
04-01-2011, 09:35
PLEASE tell me this is a sick "April Fool's" joke. If not, it has to be the most retarded thing the army has come up with.:eek:

JJ_BPK
04-01-2011, 09:41
PLEASE tell me this is a sick "April Fool's" joke. If not, it has to be the most retarded thing the army has come up with.:eek:

No such thing... ;)

mojaveman
04-01-2011, 09:51
Every soldier a cavalryman! :p

Those Australian regiments that wore the bushhats with one side pinned up didn't look too bad.

craigepo
04-01-2011, 10:20
"The beret is not completely leaving the Army inventory, as communities who previously wore berets will return to or keep their traditional colors of maroon (airborne), black (Ranger) and green (Special Forces). Additionally Rangers will be allowed to keep the tan beret for use in desert climates. "We've at least earned that, for all grief we took in losing the black beret in the last go-round," said one unidentified tab-wearing board member."

Well, there should be a really good market for the Ranger Regiment guys to buy 2nd hand black berets for the future.

JustaSupportGuy
04-01-2011, 10:22
I still have my stetson from my 1st Cav. days and my combat spurs, but I would never dream of wearing either with my ASU's to, lets say the Menton Ball.

I am curious what the proper headgear will be with the greens, they won't be phased out till 2014, dark blue stetson and greens? Major NO GO.

In a time when budget cuts to the DoD are all the rage, is this really necissary? During WWII when major cuts in operations budgets took place the Army did something smart, they combined a field and dress uniform that actually served its purpose quit well and saved money. Now in the early hours of our 2nd great depression we are adding a damn cowboy hat to the mix! :munchin

Next up collar/leashes and halter/saddle so we can pay respects to the dog and pony show the army has become.:p

Dusty
04-01-2011, 10:30
Every soldier a cavalryman! :p

Those Australian regiments that wore the bushhats with one side pinned up didn't look too bad.

Do you realize how ridiculous that statement reads at face value?

Stras
04-01-2011, 10:34

Nope, you lose...

The most retarded thing was the Black Berets...
2nd most was the ACUs.
3rd was the Greens retired and the Blues modified.

No one cares about the Cav... I mean really, most means of 21st Century transportation do not respond to spurs, unless you are kicking a Private. :munchin

JJ_BPK
04-01-2011, 11:13

The Ozzies still wear their regimental slouch(bush) hat.

mojaveman
04-01-2011, 11:18
Do you realize how ridiculous that statement reads at face value?

Forgot the pink for sarcasm/humor.

The entire subject is kind of ridiculous. ;)

Surgicalcric
04-01-2011, 11:34
I just dont see Ranger Regiment going back to the black beret.

To be quite honest its a smack in the face...

Crip

SouthernDZ
04-01-2011, 11:38
Nope, you lose...

The most retarded thing was the Black Berets...
2nd most was the ACUs.
3rd was the Greens retired and the Blues modified.

4th was retiring the TWs (khakis) so we could look more Air Force in our Class Bs:mad:

longrange1947
04-01-2011, 11:50
You guys better watch what you kid about. That is how the good idea fairy gets launched!! :munchin :D

Stras
04-01-2011, 11:56
You guys better watch what you kid about. That is how the good idea fairy gets launched!! :munchin :D

Maybe they'll feel nostalgic and issue us 1911s again..

Airbornelawyer
04-01-2011, 12:24
Clearly there is only one mode of headgear that properly respects the Army's long history.

longrange1947
04-01-2011, 12:35
Those were some dam hot, and I mean miserable hot, hats.

LarryW
04-01-2011, 12:51
You can bet the General that dreamed this crap up has a hat with a propeller on top.

Sten
04-01-2011, 13:14
Is this an April fools joke or not?

JustaSupportGuy
04-01-2011, 13:16
Burqa's and Hijad's for all... to celebrate the POTUS favorite culture and commemorate our time in the Middle East!:rolleyes:

Maybe in 2021 we can have pink berets with rainbow flash for the ten year anniversary of the repeal of DADT!

greenberetTFS
04-01-2011, 13:21

You just made some coffee run out my nose...........:rolleyes::eek::p

sinjefe
04-01-2011, 13:23
This one seems more appropriate.

RTK
04-01-2011, 13:32
No one cares about the Cav...

That hurts. That really hurts. :boohoo

I got excited this morning thinking the army had finally made a uniform change that didn't require me to drop $100 since I was already compliant. :D

Imagine my disappointment when I looked at my calendar...

Signed,
A Cavalryman who Cares

greenberetTFS
04-01-2011, 13:40
Maybe in 2021 we can have pink berets with rainbow flash for the ten year anniversary of the repeal of DADT!

That's already(pink beret with rainbow flash)reserved for "those people".....:rolleyes:
But,I bet they'll just love that pink Stetson when it comes out...........:eek:

greenberetTFS
04-01-2011, 13:45

A green propeller hat,now tell me that isn't really cool!..............;):D

Stras
04-01-2011, 13:55

Funny that you posted this.

We were leaving my house for a PGR mission, when we saw an object lying in the road before we got to the main street. Low and behold it was a propeller hat.

Guess what one of us wore as soon as we dismounted the bikes in the staging area..... The look on peoples faces was priceless. and yes, I took it off before standing in the flag line. :D

Leozinho
04-01-2011, 14:03

Yes, though I'm not sure everyone here has figured it out.

Stras
04-01-2011, 14:19

The sad thing is after watching all the stupid "good ideas" previously identified in this thread that blossomed into reality since 1989, it could very well become fact.

orion5
04-01-2011, 14:39
That's already (pink beret with rainbow flash) reserved for "those people".....:rolleyes:

Just point me to the warehouse where those things are stored and I'll take care of it.

Satisfaction for me, plausible deniability for the rest of you. Win-win. :D

Adam35
04-01-2011, 14:46

Yeah, I wasn't completely sure either until I took a closer look at the photos in the OP. That photoshop job was what gave it away. :D

JustaSupportGuy
04-01-2011, 15:48
That's already(pink beret with rainbow flash)reserved for "those people".....:rolleyes:

This may be true... but wasn't the black beret once reserved for Rangers only? I'm telling you, some Liberal dumbass is gonna come up with an idea to make the military show its support for "Gay Pride".... unicorns, glitter and rainbow dreaming.

FML! Wheres my DD214?:(

Richard
04-01-2011, 15:55
Signed, A Cavalryman who Cares

Wanna take a wild guess at which US Army unit made the last cavalry charge into combat using horses? ;)

HINT: They weren't Cav.

PSM
04-01-2011, 16:05
Wanna take a wild guess at which US Army unit made the last cavalry charge into combat using horses? ;)

Was it those bowlegged SF guys in Afghanistan? :D

Pat

Stras
04-01-2011, 16:16

His response will be that the one in OEF doesn't count as there were no Indians involved......
He might get who led the last Bayonet Charge....... but only if he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.:munchin

JustaSupportGuy
04-01-2011, 16:20

I think OEF counts:D

Socrates
04-01-2011, 16:45
Maybe they'll feel nostalgic and issue us 1911s again..

Stras... you mean like this one?

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj267/wsoeldner/Forums%20and%20Posts/24ca731d.jpg

Of course, now I'll have to put pearl handled grips on it, and wear it slung low, or maybe cross draw to match my "cowboy hat" and M-4 "carbine"

Stras
04-01-2011, 16:52

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj267/wsoeldner/Forums%20and%20Posts/24ca731d.jpg

Of course, now I'll have to put pearl handled grips on it, and wear it slung low, or maybe cross draw to match my "cowboy hat" and M-4 "carbine"

very nice..... sadly we're too NATOized over here... doesn't come in 9mm, don't have it in the Arms Room. Hell, they even got rid of the AKs.

Socrates
04-01-2011, 16:57
don't have it in the Arms Room.

That sucks. We finally got most of ours refitted before this last go around... We'll see how long we get to keep them.

Still, can't wait for my cowboy hat.

RTK
04-01-2011, 17:45

Touche and I concede the fact. My understanding is a few of those same gentlemen played goat polo not long after with the same horses.

And COL(Ret.) Lewis Millet (RIP), Medal of Honor recipient, led the last American bayonet charge 60 years ago last month in Korea. Less well known was that Millet was court martialed shortly after the Anzio invasion because he has deserted in 1941 and joined the Canadian army to get into WWII. Shortly after his court martial he recieved a battlefield commission. Sadly he passed away a couple years ago, a few days after Veteran's Day.

Dusty
04-01-2011, 17:59
very nice..... sadly we're too NATOized over here... doesn't come in 9mm, don't have it in the Arms Room. Hell, they even got rid of the AKs.

That's fucked up!

That could cost you, Bro...:mad:

219seminole
04-01-2011, 18:51
The problem with news like this on April 1 is that the Army really does stupid things and it is hard to distinguish the leg pull from the stupid decision.:munchin

Stras
04-01-2011, 19:27
Touche and I concede the fact. My understanding is a few of those same gentlemen played goat polo not long after with the same horses.

And COL(Ret.) Lewis Millet (RIP), Medal of Honor recipient, led the last American bayonet charge 60 years ago last month in Korea. Less well known was that Millet was court martialed shortly after the Anzio invasion because he has deserted in 1941 and joined the Canadian army to get into WWII. Shortly after his court martial he recieved a battlefield commission. Sadly he passed away a couple years ago, a few days after Veteran's Day.

Well done..

The Creepy One
04-01-2011, 19:29
Well, I'll admit those hats were kind of cool. I liked the one on the dog the best. :eek:;)

If you ever do get hats like that, will you play Wagner from your Blackhawks?

Combat Diver
04-02-2011, 01:26

5th and 10th are still using them. Last photo is a 1943 Rem-Rand on my hip

CD

Stylo
04-03-2011, 11:25
Now we can play "Cowboys and Muslims!".

That was just righteous

wet dog
04-08-2011, 11:44
My uncle Grant (OSS), was a "stay behind" fighter in the P.I. after McCarthur pulled troops out. Not a lot of fighting, more like hiding and watching. He wore a cowboy hat, rode a horse, carried a .45ACP.

Saddly, Stetson no longer makes hats, Resistol purchased the name a few years back. Trust me, no new Stetsons, just a single piece of poor silk made in China, glued inside of a shit felt hat, (rabbit, mink, squirrel), no beaver. My grandfather is rolling over in his grave.

Pete
04-25-2011, 16:49
Will the Brass Dump the Beret?

New Sgt. Major launches review.

From the front page of this week's Army Times.

Plus ACU design & ribbon rules under study.

Story on page 16

Bad Tolz
04-26-2011, 13:30
Originally Posted by RTK
"Touche and I concede the fact. My understanding is a few of those same gentlemen played goat polo not long after with the same horses.

And COL(Ret.) Lewis Millet (RIP), Medal of Honor recipient, led the last American bayonet charge 60 years ago last month in Korea. Less well known was that Millet was court martialed shortly after the Anzio invasion because he has deserted in 1941 and joined the Canadian army to get into WWII. Shortly after his court martial he recieved a battlefield commission. Sadly he passed away a couple years ago, a few days after Veteran's Day."

Col. Millet was the ASA CO at Devins in 1966. He was imposing and inspirational to us young pups.

Requiem
06-07-2011, 00:08
Saddly, Stetson no longer makes hats, Resistol purchased the name a few years back. Trust me, no new Stetsons, just a single piece of poor silk made in China, glued inside of a shit felt hat, (rabbit, mink, squirrel), no beaver. My grandfather is rolling over in his grave.

Wet Dog, while browsing an antique store with my mother-in-law, I found a Stetson high on a shelf. I admired the hat and remembered your lament and thought about your grandfather rolling uneasily in his grave. Can't say I blame him. This hat felt marvelous in my hands, substantial, soft, well-made. Inside brim read: Stetson 3X Beaver.

Susan

JJ_BPK
06-07-2011, 03:17
Wet Dog, while browsing an antique store with my mother-in-law, I found a Stetson high on a shelf. I admired the hat and remembered your lament and thought about your grandfather rolling uneasily in his grave. Can't say I blame him. This hat felt marvelous in my hands, substantial, soft, well-made. Inside brim read: Stetson 3X Beaver.

Susan

For anyone that is interested. After you find the Stetson, you need to make sure the Cord & Acorn is correct..

http://www.cavhooah.com/cav-shop/hat-cords.html?limit=all

http://www.millerhats.com/accesories_index/case4.htm

:D

Mr. Pink
06-10-2011, 12:57
Perhaps ARSTAFF should set themselves aside with headgear of their own: The Dunce cap..!

Murak
06-10-2011, 14:31

Lmao

WholeManin2010
06-11-2011, 16:09
Will the Brass Dump the Beret?

New Sgt. Major launches review.

From the front page of this week's Army Times.

Plus ACU design & ribbon rules under study.

Story on page 16

Stay tuned... :munchin

cavscouty
06-15-2011, 07:32
Too bad, it's actually more practical than the beret and I've already got one.

SPEC4
06-15-2011, 10:10
Back in 1969 I was told by a senior NCO that, "the Green Beret is a symbol of distinction....but it barely covers your head and doesn't cover your ass."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/army-ends-beret-requirement/story?id=13839084