PDA

View Full Version : Maryland 20th

bigtick
03-23-2011, 19:16
Anyone here have experience as a candidate with the 20th Group in Maryland? I am not looking for any inside information. I would like to verify a few general things I have been told before I sign. I am non-prior service and want to make an educated decision on enlistment. Thank you for your time.

JJ_BPK
03-24-2011, 05:42
Anyone here have experience as a candidate with the 20th Group in Maryland? I am not looking for any inside information. I would like to verify a few general things I have been told before I sign. I am non-prior service and want to make an educated decision on enlistment. Thank you for your time.

Look for and make avail of the stickies.

You need to talk to the POC for the 20th and not get Opinions...

bigtick
03-25-2011, 07:36
Thank you for the advice. I read the stickies and have searched the site thoroughly. I have also been in touch with the POC in Maryland. I respect the time of those on this site and appreciate the knowledge they share. I only started this thread after I exhausted all other resources. I was hoping to have a brief conversation with someone that has walked this path before me (specifically as a non-qual in Maryland). Again, I don't want a leg up or information on selection standards. I want to verify before I commit. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Hacksaw
05-21-2011, 06:05
Hey Tick,

I came into SF the same way in 1984 through the MD unit (C/1/20, they're in MA now). My advice/insight is this; if your plan is to go SF period and nothing else interests you than the Guard is probably a good option. As an advisor in Iraq for a few years I've worked with a lot of former 18X's that were converted into 11B's (apparently there's an enormous pile of blown out kneecaps somewhere on Camp Mc, I guess no one quits anymore), granted, they did not know what they were getting into initally but now they typically are in less then stellar units (not always, just an observation). At least as a guard guy, if you blow it you're only going to eat shit sandwiches one weekend a month for a few years. The other side of the coin is going through the guard can take a while, and paperwork is not their strong suit. My experience was you need to push to get those orders done and get to school, do NOT go back to the unit without a tab, otherwise you'll be in limbo. At least nowadays there are no more papertabs and the guys in the unit are combat vets. Buenas suerte

mmayou
06-10-2011, 21:29
I came into SF through the MD Guard non-qual program where they work you hard, get you to SFAS and then to the Q. I've been impressed w/ B Co so far and am on a great team.

Henry R. Alford
08-16-2011, 20:28

Go & see for yourself. If your NOT In Top Shape go to leg outfit.

JJ_BPK
08-17-2011, 03:21
Go & see for yourself. If your NOT In Top Shape go to leg outfit.

Henry

You need to follow the directions that were sent to you.

Your first post should have been an introduction, instead you chose to reply to a post that is six months old,, not a good start.

:munchin

Henry R. Alford
08-19-2011, 00:14

They had a lot of us Combat VET's and Believed in SF Quote "Freedom for the Oppressed" and ready to go at a hearts beat !!!

Pete
08-19-2011, 04:16
Henry;

JJ gave you a suggestion which you ignored.

Follow the instructions you were given when you signed up. If you forgot them then read all the stickies at the top of all the sections before making your next post. On second thought read all the stickies anyway.

Pete