PDA

View Full Version : possible poser?

shooter_250
03-21-2011, 09:17
I ran across this on another forum... http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830714

"I grew up in the Catskill Mountains of New York, and served as an Officer of Marines and Special Forces team commander in most any environment you can think of."

this guys' web page... http://www.bushmonkeyknives.com/Index.html

thought you guys might be interested in another prospective hall of shame member...

Hope i have this posted in the appropriate area....

God Bless

Lee

***that's his quote not yours Lee, ss

JJ_BPK
03-21-2011, 10:55
I ran across this on another forum... thought you guys might be interested in another prospective hall of shame member... Hope i have this posted in the appropriate area....

Why do YOU think this guy is a poser??

DJ Urbanovsky
03-21-2011, 14:30
Well, for one, his behavior over at BF doesn't doesn't seem in character with that of any QPs I've ever interacted with... and I strongly doubt that a QP looking to establish himself as a knife maker would go over to BF and act in such a manner towards established makers. Seems very odd to me. Check out that thread over there, and I think you'll agree.

Why do YOU think this guy is a poser??

kgoerz
03-21-2011, 14:55
"officer of marines"

Why not a officer in the USMC. This is worth looking into.

Pete
03-21-2011, 14:57
Old School?

The bottom knive is old school

abc_123
03-21-2011, 15:07
"officer of marines"

Why not a officer in the USMC. This is worth looking into.

"Officer of Marines" is correct.

Here is a random Marine Corps Times article where the term is used....

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/class186/part3-mainbar-a.php

Richard
03-21-2011, 15:11
Old Skool Tools

Spells like a Marine. :rolleyes:

Richard :munchin

kgoerz
03-21-2011, 15:55
"Officer of Marines" is correct.

Here is a random Marine Corps Times article where the term is used....

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/class186/part3-mainbar-a.php

Dammit:D

BKKMAN
03-21-2011, 16:26
After doing some looking around, this guy's name is:

Jeffrey P Natterer

Claims to have been both a Marine Officer and SF Team commander, flight instructor, professional fire fighter, etc. Public records show his age at 52.

From his Bush Monkey Knives site:

"I grew up in the Catskill Mountains of New York, and served as an Officer of Marines and Special Forces team commander in most any environment you can think of. I have backpacked, hunted, fished, orienteered, adventure raced, kayaked, rock climbed and hiked from inside the Arctic Circle to the Bayous of Louisiana and from the White Mountains of New Hampshire to the High Deserts of Joshua Tree and Big Bend. I like going to places and doing things where the outcome is uncertain."

From http://captpost.wordpress.com/2010/05/26/watchdog-nation-by-dave-lieber/

"Before he became a Fort Worth firefighter, Jeff Natterer says, he jumped out of airplanes and led missions as a captain in the Green Berets. I see the world in black and white, says the man who also served nine years in the Marines. One Saturday in late January, Natterer, a short man with burning eyes that reflect his good-guy-versus-bad-guy outlook..."

"Jeff Natterer, now on inactive status with the military..."

From http://captpost.wordpress.com/2010/05/10/letter-to-the-editor-of-the-fort-worth-star-telegram-582010/

His signature line on a letter to the editor is:

Jeffrey P. Natterer
Capt. US Army (R), Special Forces
Fort Worth, TX

Seems like he has inflated his resume a tad, but it wouldn't be that difficult to look his name up to see if he is a Q graduate to settle this.

My .02

greenberetTFS
03-21-2011, 16:47
http://captpost.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/071212infidel.jpg :D:D:D

Big Teddy :munchin

SF_BHT
03-21-2011, 17:17
http://captpost.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/071212infidel.jpg :D

OK I am with Big Teddy..:D:eek:

wet dog
03-21-2011, 17:24
Jeffrey P Natterer

From his Bush Monkey Knives site:

"...I like going to places and doing things where the outcome is uncertain."

Jeffrey P. Natterer
Capt. US Army (R), Special Forces
Fort Worth, TX

Well, he now has entered yet another environment where the outcome is very certain. Too funny, I swear you can't make this stuff up.

Requiem
03-21-2011, 17:47
Here he is, in front of a USMC OCS (http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1737202674) sign. :munchin

JJ_BPK
03-21-2011, 18:34
Here he is, in front of a USMC OCS (http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1737202674) sign. :munchin

Got a sneaky,, we may be dealing with another Mykie Hawkie...

cszakolczai
03-21-2011, 18:51
out of curiosity, for actual guys who are proved to be posers, is there any sort of legal action which can be brought about? I'm guessing while they are in the military there is, but what if they are out?

caveman
03-21-2011, 20:08
I don't know much about recognizing posers. I do know that while he may be using the word "arcane" correctly (and I'm not convinced he is), it irritates me. It seems like he is really proud of himself for making it part way through the "A's" of his pocket dictionary.

sinjefe
03-21-2011, 20:26
There is a Jeffrey Natterer (CPT) in the AKO database (US Army Reserve), but he is Infantry, not SF. Only one in the datatbase with that name.

bluebb
03-21-2011, 20:33
I don't know much about recognizing posers. I do know that while he may be using the word "arcane" correctly (and I'm not convinced he is), it irritates me. It seems like he is really proud of himself for making it part way through the "A's" of his pocket dictionary.

Actually as an avid adage aficionado, an arcane anecdote about axes always amuses.

Ablue

Bill Harsey
03-21-2011, 20:39
There is a Jeffrey Natterer (CPT) in the AKO database (US Army Reserve), but he is Infantry, not SF. Only one in the datatbase with that name.

Thanks.

bluebb, Well done.

1stindoor
03-22-2011, 06:25
Actually as an avid adage aficionado, an arcane anecdote about axes always amuses.

Ablue

Another asinine adage award, amazingly, awed all.

shooter_250
03-22-2011, 06:30
JJ....Top, nice to meet you...

there are a couple of things that caught my eye about this "knife maker"

1)..officer of Marines/SF team commander...not unheard of, but not an everyday thing

2)...his responses to the guys in the BF forum were not representative of the SF enlisted and officers i've had the honor and pleasure of working with

3)...claiming to be something he is not, however carefully worded, just riles something in me...being able to change sparks plugs doesn't make me a mechanic

4)...i dunno, i just had a feeling

If i am wrong about this individual, i will gladly apologize...both here and in the BF forum...i am not to proud to be the first to say i stepped on my crank...

I personnally hope i am wrong...

God Bless

Lee

Dozer523
03-22-2011, 06:43
God Bless

Lee Not me. I hope you're dead on. Nothing like watching the lather and froth rise over these guys. This place has been a little boring lately. :D

JJ_BPK
03-22-2011, 07:45
JJ....Top, nice to meet you...

God Bless

Lee

Lee,

Thanks for your reply. Fair observations..

This guy is not lacking in ego and has little or no SA (based on his inflated ego).

But we have had others with the same problem,, that were SF qualified..

Where is the FOIA req??

OR as this thread is open to the GOOGLE WORLD,, do we go DA and skip the UW route???

:munchin

x SF med
03-22-2011, 08:36

Another asinine adage award, amazingly, awed all.

"A" for awesome, amigos.

shooter_250
03-22-2011, 08:42
Top...

i posted this in the GenDis section with the word "possible" as a precursor...because i didn't know where else to ask the question...as this is open to google, i do realize the possiblities...and will take my licks if i've got them coming...

by the way, the pic of someone in front of the OCS sign is gone, or at least the link didn't work for me...second monday of the week for me

God Bless

r/s

Lee

Bill Harsey
03-22-2011, 09:07
BladeForums has a world wide membership something over 175,000, if memory serves, and they don't think very much of his attitude.
Neither do I from what he wrote.

1stindoor
03-22-2011, 09:43
BladeForums has a world wide membership something over 175,000, if memory serves, and they don't think very much of his attitude.
Neither do I from what he wrote.

More importantly...what do you think of his knives?

Bill Harsey
03-22-2011, 10:16
More importantly...what do you think of his knives?

I'm usually pretty careful about talking of other makers work.

The guys and gals at BladeForums seem to think he's buying knife kits for some and putting the handles on. Seems like he so much as admitted it.

If one is representing that work as his own, it's not how I'd do it.

1stindoor
03-22-2011, 10:43
I'm usually pretty careful about talking of other makers work.

The guys and gals at BladeForums seem to think he's buying knife kits for some and putting the handles on. Seems like he so much as admitted it.

If one is representing that work as his own, it's not how I'd do it.

I appreciate your respect for another's workmanship/craftsmanship. I was more interested in what you thought of his finished product in terms of durability and use. I made a knife as a youngster with my dad out of a piece of a leafspring. In terms of being useful...I had a very sharp pry-bar that could be concealed amongst rusted metal. But considering neither of us had a true "clue" about what we were doing, the drill press, grinder, and various other tools gave us some good times together.

greenberetTFS
03-22-2011, 11:02
Not me. I hope you're dead on. Nothing like watching the lather and froth rise over these guys. This place has been a little boring lately. :D

I second Dozer's montion.............;)

wet dog
03-22-2011, 11:25
I made a knife as a youngster with my dad out of a piece of a leafspring. ....the drill press, grinder, and various other tools gave us some good times together.

Sounds like a good knife, and time well spent making it. Many knifes would wish they had such a beginning. So many are mass-produced, loosing the human element of influence, science, and in my case, mystery, (why did the metal just do that?). As for Mr. Harsey, metal just jumps out, and says, "Yes Sir, what would you like to me to do today?" An example of the masters touch.

Dozer is right, we need some excitement. Posting knife stories on a poser thread is really quite sad.

We all need help......

Culpeper
03-22-2011, 14:19
out of curiosity, for actual guys who are proved to be posers, is there any sort of legal action which can be brought about? I'm guessing while they are in the military there is, but what if they are out?

People do this sort of thing a lot. All the way to the White House. Posers are under the assumption that "special" means "they" are special. There is no "I" in team. Special Forces is what it is. Why people pretend they were SF is beyond me. Every job in the military is important and no job is glamorous. The military doesn't create meaningless jobs. It is not an entitlement program. With that said if people want to pose then let them. It's their own mental hang up and insecurity.

kgoerz
03-22-2011, 16:12

Speaking from a LEO perspective. There are just bigger fish to fry. As bad as posing is. There is a lot more going on thats way worse. LEA's just don't have the resources to go after everyone. They have to prioritize.

sinjefe
03-22-2011, 16:16
With that said if people want to pose then let them. It's their own mental hang up and insecurity.

I can understand LEAs having to prioritize. However, people who pose need to be called out in public. They give a bad name to the community.

kgoerz
03-22-2011, 17:57
I can understand LEAs having to prioritize. However, people who pose need to be called out in public. They give a bad name to the community.

Thats what we do here. The reputation of the sight busting posers is well known.

Culpeper
03-22-2011, 19:39
Yeah, the best pressure is peer pressure for in the case of a poser, faux pressure. I don't think it is against the law unless they are really doing something stupid like dressing up and walking around an army post. I would keep in mind though that some people are not going to show up as SF in a strictly Army sense. USAF ROMADS apply for SF all the time. A few make it. I don't think too many Green Berets have even heard of a ROMAD but the career field as a whole worked hard since the Reagan Rapid Deployment days to make this happen. There are probably other off-shoots from sister service SOP that exist with an avenue to SF. I'm just saying somebody may not be a Green Beret but that doesn't mean he didn't pass all the training. Although this brings to mind a weird sight I once experienced. It was AGOS training in FL. The instructor was enlisted USAF NCO. He was known to have been an experienced fighter pilot in Vietnam, got passed over, ended up demoted to NCO TACP, and when I saw him a TACP instructor. He was actually wearing a Green Beret, was very proud, and seemed to know what he was talking about. I always thought it was a little strange; the Green Beret on a USAF enlisted airman in 1979.

Culpeper
03-22-2011, 21:10
Well, for one, his behavior over at BF doesn't doesn't seem in character with that of any QPs I've ever interacted with... and I strongly doubt that a QP looking to establish himself as a knife maker would go over to BF and act in such a manner towards established makers. Seems very odd to me. Check out that thread over there, and I think you'll agree.

This guy may have a background in USMC SOF. As for bladeforums? I wouldn't put too much stock in the quality of posts over there. It's a real cluster fuck of collectors, manufacturers, custom knife makers, and general dipshits. If their groupthink goes into gear and they feel threatened about a way a man makes a knife it goes straight to character assassination. Anyway, cross forum bashing is fun. :) I've jacked with "established members" at bladeforums. It's the equivalent of the Cartoon Network. Does that make me a bad person too?

cszakolczai
03-22-2011, 21:18
Speaking from a LEO perspective. There are just bigger fish to fry. As bad as posing is. There is a lot more going on thats way worse. LEA's just don't have the resources to go after everyone. They have to prioritize.

yeah I wouldnt expect it to be a wise use of ones time, but at the same time I didnt know if there were actually steps which could be taken.

chris

DJ Urbanovsky
03-22-2011, 23:57
Maybe he does have that background and maybe he doesn't. I can't say. I thought that's why we were discussing it in this thread. His website says he "served as an Officer of Marines and Special Forces team commander." Wouldn't a Marine say he was MARSOC or SOF, not Special Forces?

I didn't say established members, I said established makers. Meaning fellow knife makers - members of his peer group. I'm not getting the vibe that anybody is threatened by the dude's fabrication process.

Regardless of what your feelings might be about BF, have you gone over there and read that thread?

This guy may have a background in USMC SOF. As for bladeforums? I wouldn't put too much stock in the quality of posts over there. It's a general dipshits. If their groupthink goes into gear and they feel threatened about a way a man makes a knife it goes straight to character assassination. Anyway, cross forum bashing is fun. :) I've jacked with "established members" at bladeforums. It's the equivalent of the Cartoon Network. Does that make me a bad person too?

blue02hd
03-23-2011, 00:35
Yeah, the best pressure is peer pressure for in the case of a poser, faux pressure. I don't think it is against the law unless they are really doing something stupid like dressing up and walking around an army post. I would keep in mind though that some people are not going to show up as SF in a strictly Army sense. USAF ROMADS apply for SF all the time. A few make it. I don't think too many Green Berets have even heard of a ROMAD but the career field as a whole worked hard since the Reagan Rapid Deployment days to make this happen. There are probably other off-shoots from sister service SOP that exist with an avenue to SF. I'm just saying somebody may not be a Green Beret but that doesn't mean he didn't pass all the training. Although this brings to mind a weird sight I once experienced. It was AGOS training in FL. The instructor was enlisted USAF NCO. He was known to have been an experienced fighter pilot in Vietnam, got passed over, ended up demoted to NCO TACP, and when I saw him a TACP instructor. He was actually wearing a Green Beret, was very proud, and seemed to know what he was talking about. I always thought it was a little strange; the Green Beret on a USAF enlisted airman in 1979.

Culpeper, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about, and you are passing opinion for fact. Not only are you nearly 30 years out of touch, you are not Special Forces qualified. Do not warn those in a QP forum how other sister services may or may not view "SF". You clearly do not understand your audience here. Stop muddying the waters.

Do not expect a pat on the back for "jacking" with other boards and then looking for encouragement here. I personally find it disrespectful, rude, and completely unprofessional. You are a guest in this house, act appropriately. For all I know, you are posting on others forums how you "jack" with the QP's at PS.com.

Now, getting back on topic: The truth of the central issue is not too difficult to discover, and I am sure those with the desire and time to follow this through are doing just that. Unless you are a part of that process you really have no business discussing it.

Richard
03-23-2011, 04:08
RE: Post #36

Funniest damn thing I've read in a long time - I'm tempted to put it in The Comedy Zone where it belongs.

shooter_250
03-23-2011, 05:28
As for bladeforums? I wouldn't put too much stock in the quality of posts over there. It's a real cluster fuck of collectors, manufacturers, custom knife makers, and general dipshits.

all i can say is that every forum has it's 10%

1stindoor
03-23-2011, 07:36

Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual. But now I know why I have always lost women to guys like you. I mean, it's not just the uniform. It's the stories that you tell. So much fun and imagination.

Culpeper, you are a madman. When you saw that TACP instructor, and you seemed to know what he was talking about. I want to party with you, cowboy. If the two of us together, forget it. I'm gonna go out on a limb here. I'm gonna volunteer my leadership to this thread. A silly post like yours without leaders is like a foot without a big toe. And Culpeper isn't always gonna be here to be that big toe for us. I think that we owe a big round of applause to our newest, bestest buddy, and big toe... Culpeper.

JJ_BPK
03-23-2011, 07:38
And Culpeper isn't always gonna be here to be that big toe for us. I think that we owe a big round of applause to our newest, bestest buddy, and big toe... Culpeper.

Is that a stub??? :D

Culpeper
03-23-2011, 07:42
Ah, fuck you and your house. Out.

blue02hd
03-23-2011, 07:45
Wait for it,,,,,,,,,,

Dusty
03-23-2011, 07:45
Roswell boy.:D

1stindoor
03-23-2011, 07:46

Hey don't go away mad...just go away.

Seriously, you have almost zero credibility on this site and then you're going to come here and tell us about Green Beret wearing TACPs? Really?

shooter_250
03-23-2011, 07:47
Not here. Edited by Bill Harsey

Lee

Dusty
03-23-2011, 07:48
Hey don't go away mad...just go away.

Seriously, you have almost zero credibility on this site and then you're going to come here and tell us about Green Beret wearing TACPs? Really?

If that clown had any credibility, he wouldn't still be online. He said "out", right?

Bet he's got a pink .38.:munchin

1stindoor
03-23-2011, 07:48

7 posts in almost two years...and for number 8 you give us this winner? I suspect there's been some "probing" done in Roswell lately.

1stindoor
03-23-2011, 07:54
Awww...shucks!

Who banned my newest, bestest, friend? I pop over to the search button to see his other posts...and come back to "BANNED USER."

Dusty
03-23-2011, 07:57
Poor Culpepper.

Never even got to find out whether she was a Grey or Reptilian. :(

blue02hd
03-23-2011, 07:57
Awww...shucks!

Who banned my newest, bestest, friend? I pop over to the search button to see his other posts...and come back to "BANNED USER."

Was that a record?

shooter_250
03-23-2011, 08:00
1stindoor...i apologigize for mis-typing your name in my previous post...

SwatSurgeon...Doc...i just realized you left a note for me in my 1st post in this thread, thanks for fixing me,,,,

God Bless

Lee

Richard
03-23-2011, 08:01
Culpeper has left the battlefield after vectoring a strike on his own position.

TACP Requirements:

· Be male (current DoD policies)
· Be a U.S. citizen
· Score at least 49 in the general category of the ASVAB
· Have normal hearing
· Have normal color vision and depth perception
· Have no speech impediment
· Have a valid driver's license
· Qualify for a Secret security clearance

The TACP Physical Requirements are:

RUN: 1 and 1/2 miles, 6 laps around a 440-yard track in under 11 minutes and 41 seconds.
PUSH-UPS: Must complete at least 39 repetitions given a one-minute time limit.
CRUNCHES: Must complete at least 45 repetitions given a one-minute time limit.
PULL-UPS: Must complete at least 2 repetitions but strive for 6.

http://www.afsoc.af.mil/specialtactics/tacp/index.asp

S**t happens.

1stindoor
03-23-2011, 08:02
Was that a record?

Not even close. I have to go back and check but I think our "record" is something like 14 minutes.

1stindoor
03-23-2011, 08:04
Culpeper has left the battlefield after vectoring a strike on his own position.

TACP Requirements:

This has been my favorite "find" of the morning...

http://www.romad.com/faq.htm

and it's a "dot com" site...as opposed to those pesky "dot mil" sites, so you know it's the real thing.

Sacamuelas
03-23-2011, 08:33
Not even close. I have to go back and check but I think our "record" is something like 14 minutes.

Actually.... we have had some that haven't even made it to their first post. Username choice and/or PM's to Mods and Admins get some jackwagons banned before they even make it public. :D:lifter

1stindoor
03-23-2011, 09:06
Actually.... we have had some that haven't even made it to their first post. Username choice and/or PM's to Mods and Admins get some jackwagons banned before they even make it public. :D:lifter

I would think those PMs would be truly entertaining.

The Reaper
03-23-2011, 11:30

You funny GI, I pick you!

Better luck in your other board efforts.

TR

greenberetTFS
03-23-2011, 13:17

I just go away for a few seconds and bam-bam a poser gets nailed and banned.....:eek:
This has to be the record,no doubt about it..........:rolleyes: What pisses me off is I didn't get a shot at him...........:(

18C4V
03-29-2011, 18:01
It's been confirmed that Natterer, Jeff is a former SF Officer, he used to be in
C/3/12 and took a team to Haiti in 1994.

Team Sergeant
03-29-2011, 19:13
Awww...shucks!

I could not agree more! No one plays with their food anymore.....

We should have kept culpeper if only for our amusement!

Bye culpeper, I'll miss you!

Team Sergeant

ZonieDiver
03-29-2011, 19:31
It's been confirmed that Natterer, Jeff is a former SF Officer, he used to be in

C/3/12... isn't that the unit of "neuro25" - SSG/SFC Ranger-not Jose Harris?

In C/2/12 (out of San Diego), we called C/3/12 (out of LA) - the "Hollywood Detachment" and thought them to be filled with some verrrry "unusual" characters - even for Special Forces! :D

Bill Harsey
03-30-2011, 06:42

Thank you.
I emailed a link from this page to an admin of BladeForums showing this notice of Jeff Natterer's SF confirmation.

SeekHer
04-03-2011, 16:28

That there is/was a person by that name is confirmed but is that same person the person behind BM Knives.

You would think that some one with that quality of knifemaking skills <<sarcasm alert>> would advertise that fact on their Facebook page--he doesn't even mention an affection for blades (posted by Requiem in #13)...This is on the page with someone, who doesn't look to be short and 52 (as previously described by BKKMAN in post #9).

BMK has been banned from two sites that I know of (third and fourth forthcoming) and has pissed off the members of at least five others that I'm aware of...One of the two knives he actually claims to have made (SurvivalBoard.com) from a SawZall blade unfortunately was proven by a BladesForum.com member to be too long, too wide and too thick to have come from that metal source.

He has been asked numerous times in many different threads on different forums about his kit knives and has gone ape shit on the people and has never answered their questions...Not only not to their satisfaction but avoided them altogether or goes into a tirade about what is a knifemaker.

The man puts handles (poorly as was pointed out in three different forums) on kit knives that he has the audacity to claim as custom made and charges similar prices for--$150 to $200 for ones you can create yourself for $35 to $60 (including shipping and all the finishing materials) like the one, a Finnish Puukko, my eight year old daughter made (better in my opinion but then I'd be considered somewhat biased) for my birthday some ten years ago.

18C4V
04-03-2011, 23:16
That there is/was a person by that name is confirmed but is that same person the person behind BM Knives.

You have a picture of him? If so, I'll show the picture to confirm/deny that it's him.

mdpatterson
04-04-2011, 00:29
You have a picture of him? If so, I'll show the picture to confirm/deny that it's him.

There is a pic of him in a link on post #13.

Mike

greenberetTFS
04-04-2011, 05:51

Why do all these assholes "always" leave us with this comment?.........:rolleyes:;):p

18C4V
04-04-2011, 16:54
There is a pic of him in a link on post #13.

Mike

Sorry I should have been more clearer. I don't have access to face book since I'm not on there, (neither is most of my team mates and the person who knows him) Can someone zab grab his photo?

PSM
04-04-2011, 17:08
Here ya go.

mdpatterson
04-05-2011, 03:12
Sorry I should have been more clearer. I don't have access to face book since I'm not on there, (neither is most of my team mates and the person who knows him) Can someone zab grab his photo?

I didn't even realize you needed facebook to see the pic.

Mike

SeekHer
04-05-2011, 07:22

The suspense is building--is it or isn't it the same person--has your friend confirmed it yet?

18C4V
04-05-2011, 08:36
The suspense is building--is it or isn't it the same person--has your friend confirmed it yet?

It's going to be a while, my buddy is on a PDSS so he's a little busy. He'll get back to me when he can.

Lastest update. Picture is to blury for my buddy to PID, is there a better photo out there?

perdurabo
04-05-2011, 18:00
Thats what we do here. The reputation of the sight busting posers is well known.

And do so well, Google "hillar", "wolfgang hammersmith", and so on. The QPs @ PS.com certainly get the word out.