PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking

SlyFox
03-20-2011, 18:53
Hello gentlemen, I got stationed at Fort Carson a year ago then deployed upon arrival so I am new here. I am from the High Sierra in California, and I had a number of unmarked spots and routes that I used loved to go to on the weekends. Snowpack is melting, and I can't wait to get up in the Rockies, just wondering if anybody has any routes/places they would recommend. Cheers

Buffalobob
03-20-2011, 21:13
Perhaps, if it is interesting to you, a hike up the Escalante with the petroglyphs would be fun over the Memorial Day weekend. It is the one hike we never made while in Utah that still intrigues me. Canyonlands and Arches are nice.

Bennett
03-21-2011, 10:46
Google the 10th Mountain Hut system, there are some outstanding trails for both the winter and summer. Also you can start to conquer the 53 14ers in the state, then go to Utah if you still need to.

BigJimCalhoun
03-21-2011, 19:46
Maybe swing by the REI on Academy.I-25.

I wish I knew of some places. Now that my son is getting older, maybe I will start doing some fun stuff.

The Aspen Maroon Bells seems nice. I have hunted near Mt. Harvard/Yale and like that area.

EDIT - I apologize for lack of awareness and replying in this subforum as I am not 10th.