PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Tape and the Elements

Sapper124
03-17-2011, 11:48
Searched and scoured for a discussion on Electrical tape in extreme conditions and could have sworn I read a discussion on this but the queries have turned up nothing. :confused:

Something I had not thought about before and experienced firsthand this past winter was the effectiveness and flexibility of electrical tape in cold weather conditions. Pulled my handy Electrical tape out that i keep on my 2nd line at all times and it was not flexible or sticky at all.

Conditions: Temperature was in the 20-30degree farenheit range

I hit google and found Patco 85 PVC tape that claims servicibility in -40 to 221 degrees Farenheit. Anyone have experience with this product or reccomendations on brand of Electrical tape that will function in the cold?

tim180a
03-17-2011, 12:31
Duluth Trading Company has a tape that might do what you want it to. I have not used it yet, so I can't tell you it works as advertised.

From the website:

Self-fusing silicone tape is great for regripping tools too. Originally developed for the military, this new silicone based repair tape will be an essential for your tool box! It's self-fusing, and requires no adhesive since it only bonds to itself. X-Treme Tape® stretches to 3 times its length, conforms to irregular shapes easily, and withstands UV rays, acids and fuels. Won't melt to 500° F, so it can be used for emergency muffler repairs. Remains flexible to -60°F. Insulates to 8000 volts – ideal for short term electrical repairs. Forms a permanent air and watertight seal – fix that leaky pipe, radiator hose or air duct. Once wrapped over itself, it forms a bond immediately, and is permanently fused in 24 hours. 1" wide x 36' long roll. Made in USA.

Hope this helps.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/departments/tools-shop/quick-fixes-and-repair/42042.aspx?feature=product_8

Badger52
03-17-2011, 14:18
I have not used it yet, so I can't tell you it works as advertised. Ditto, but have a similar need and this product intrigues me. Tossed an RFI on this (and possible similar) product to eham.net and will report back. Thanks for the lead.

ETA (5 minutes later): Got an immediate hit on my RFI (and a PM) on what looks to be a similar silicone-based product.

http://www.rescuetape.com/buy-rescue-tape

There is a Tech Data page for it by clicking in the upper area of the page listed. "Color palette" may/may not have value added for you.
"The best I've used" was the assessment provided.

bravo22b
03-17-2011, 17:08
FWIW, there are a lot of different kinds of "electrical tape". As with anything else, you get what you pay for. The cheap stuff is pretty worthless.

Other than the above suggestions (which may be better than what I am suggesting), go for name brand. Buy 3M tape, it is much better than the other stuff. I suggest either their Scotch 33+ or Super 88 vinyl electrical tape. Both are rated down to 0 degrees Fahrenheit, and the Super 88 is rated as "all weather", whatever that actually means. If you can't get them at your local big box, try a real electrical supply place.

If you really want to geek out, try Googling "3m electrical tapes selection guide", they have an 8 page brochure on electrical tape.

As an aside, 3M makes probably tens if not hundreds of thousands of products, generally very specific and often very useful for specific purposes. Unfortunately, they have one of the worst, most confusing web sites and marketing materials that make it almost impossible to find and/or select what you are looking for. Just a little griping from someone that used to buy a lot of 3M products...

Sapper124
03-18-2011, 06:50
FWIW, there are a lot of different kinds of "electrical tape". As with anything else, you get what you pay for. The cheap stuff is pretty worthless.

I stay away from the dollar store junk because it simply doesnt hold. I know the rolls i use are 3M, just wish i knew the specific type. Looks like ill be waiting until winter to test out a few different brands i picked up this week.

As far as the silicone tape, ive heard great things about that stuff and need to snag a roll or two to have on hand. Thanks for the advice gents.

Badger52
03-18-2011, 14:26
I stay away from the dollar store junk because it simply doesnt hold.Among this eclectic group, had to share the last note I got from another reply on eham, endorsing Rescue Tape:

"Plus it does everything from fixing a fan belt, water pipe, my wifes sarcasam."

Your mileage may vary, especially on the latter application.