PDA

View Full Version : 68WW1 or SF

Seal_111
03-10-2011, 16:18
I am shipping to basic in March and am going to AIT to become a 68W. i was curious of a few things if anyone can give me the answers or an objective opinion i would be grateful. I would also gratefully take any advice you as quiet professionals want to offer. I was unable to sign up for 18x program due to a medical waiver, but decided to try going through the army itself and working up. i have looked and read on here for months and have found similar ones but no definitive answers to all three, if i have missed it please direct me to it!

1. I was told that you can apply for the ASI W1 in AIT, is this true?

2. I would like to become Special Forces in the long run and was curious if it would be prudent to become a W1 first or apply for SF first?

3. Can you apply for SF directly from AIT? ( i know you have to be SGT or E-4 promotable before you can become SF, i am coming in as an E-4 with 2 college degrees)

It's SF

Pete

exsquid
03-11-2011, 01:55
Do you have Airborne garaunteed on your enlistment contract? Have you contacted a Ranger recruiter or called SORB to ask about 68W slots in CA or MISO (the new name for PSYOPS)? Where is it that you think you would be going as a 68W W1? Things to think about.

x/S

Seal_111
03-11-2011, 07:13
No i am not guaranteed airbourne at enlistment that is the reason that i didnt go 18X, i was told that you could not get airboune at enlistment with a med waiver but that i could get one once in. i am hoping thats the case. no i have not contacted any of the possible W1 divisions, i figured that any slots now open would be closed after i got done basic and ait. And as far as where I'd be going for W1 that doesn't matter as long as it helps me achieve the goal of SF

The Reaper
03-11-2011, 08:56
No i am not guaranteed airbourne at enlistment that is the reason that i didnt go 18X, i was told that you could not get airboune at enlistment with a med waiver but that i could get one once in. i am hoping thats the case. no i have not contacted any of the possible W1 divisions, i figured that any slots now open would be closed after i got done basic and ait. And as far as where I'd be going for W1 that doesn't matter as long as it helps me achieve the goal of SF

David:

If you are a college graduate, it is difficult to discern from your posts.

Please pay attention to spelling and grammar rules, especially punctuation.

First impressions are lasting ones, and you start building your reputation here.

Incidentally, why do you have "Seal" in your user name?

TR

11Ber
03-11-2011, 19:45
Being a 68WW1, IMO, has no bearing on whether or not you can make it in SF. Most of the guys in my class were 11B before coming to SF. I can guarantee you that none of the 68W we had were W1; only one was anything else and I think he was a 68W that did the LPN thing. You have a lot of learning to do. Not only about SF but about the Army in general. Your spelling is horrible and given that this board has a spell check....:rolleyes: What I'm getting at is slow your roll, try to get as much info as you can by reading and doing your own research, make it through basic, become a 68W, try to learn as much as medicine as you can and then go talk to a SORB recruiter. By the way, if you don't volunteer for Ranger Rgt and pass RASP I don't see you getting W1 without going to CA/MISO prior to SOCM. They closed the loop hole that allowed people to reenlist for SOCM.

And what is your med waiver for?

aaronw
03-11-2011, 22:46
Does MISO have W1's now? Last I heard they were starting to get medics, but were not going to get W1's..

Seal_111
03-16-2011, 11:37
I have a conflict of opinions that needs resolved, I was talking to a former 13F yesterday and he advised me to not volunteer for Ranger because they get overlooked for SF assessment, which is contradictory to everything else I have heard. Opinions? If I have overlooked any answers required of me please let me know!

1. Reaper, Seal is in my user name because it is part of an old nickname a couple of friends used for me, III is because I am the third person to hold my name. It is my usual user-name on any site because it is usually available. You said it was not certain if i had degrees I actually hold 2 (History & Psychology) from the University of Alabama (not being a smart-ass just clarification)

2. 11Ber, I did not mean to imply that being a 68WW1 meant I would be able to be a SF soldier, I know they are totally different. If that is how it sounded I apologize. My question was meant to garner information as to whether being a 68WW1 would help me get an opportunity for assessment or hinder me in anyway. I would gladly volunteer for Ranger regiment, I am friends with a good number of former Rangers and have great respect for them.
This is part of many hours of research, I figured the best source for SF information was SF soldiers. I have also spent time on the phone with an 18D that my recruiter knows and put me in contact with as part of my research.

11Ber
03-16-2011, 13:00
What I was trying to get across, and apparently I didn't is that being a W1, as far as I know, should not preclude nor enhance your ability to be selected. Only you can do either of those. Oh and tell your 13F friend to STFU. I went to the Q with many guys from the 75th.