PDA

View Full Version : Proposed handgun article

nmap
03-09-2011, 11:56
Gentlemen, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and comments on a brief article I intend to submit for publication in the monthly newsletter of a small organization. The article can't be very long, so I've glossed over a great deal.

The organization is Mensa (or, more particularly, South Texas Mensa) with a few more than 400 members.

I will quickly concede that I am no expert on firearms and most of you have forgotten more than I will ever know. That said, I would like to encourage the members of the organization to develop an appreciation of firearms and no one else seems willing to do so.

So...for your amusement...

------------------------------------
Choosing a Firearm for Concealed Carry

If you have a permit that authorizes you to carry a concealed handgun, and you choose to make use of that privilege, you face the question of which firearm is best. There is no one answer, and certainly no easy answer. On the one hand, some advocate using the largest caliber available, for example the 45 caliber semiautomatic pistol. Others contend that a smaller weapon is both sufficient and effective. Some consider the 25 caliber semiautomatic pistol, or even a 22 caliber firearm as sufficient. The purpose of this brief article is not to offer answers, but rather to stimulate the critical inquiry that may help you come to an answer that fits your needs.

One of the first choices is between the revolver and the semiautomatic pistol. The revolver has the advantages of high dependability and simplicity. The semiautomatic pistol tends to be flatter, and often offers a greater ammunition capacity. Either firearm can be entirely effective. According to a recent New York police study, about 68% of conflicts involving police required five or fewer shots from the perspective of the officer involved. About 22% required 6 to 10 shots. And 11% involved 11 or more shots (NYPD, 2007). From this, we might conclude that the revolver has sufficient ammunition for roughly 2/3 of the encounters involved.

It is worth noting that the supposed knockdown power of even the largest caliber handgun is not a significant factor. Rather, the important issues are penetration of the target by the bullet and the diameter of the wound. Given the realities of human physiology, this means the bullet should penetrate at least 12 inches into the target. That said, over penetration represents a risk to innocent bystanders and should be avoided (Patrick, 1989).

With due consideration of the foregoing, at least one highly qualified user suggests that the smallest weapon caliber for revolver is the 38 special, with options for semiautomatic handguns ranging from 9mm at the smallest through .40 caliber and up to a .45 caliber pistol (The_Reaper, 2005). Further corroboration is provided a webpage provided by Yahoo (McKay, 2009). These choices may somewhat simplify the decision process, providing a starting point for the new shooter who has not yet decided on the best firearm for themselves.

Whatever choice the aspiring handgun owner might make, the issue of proficiency remains. That can only be accomplished through regular practice. Those who wish to practice are encouraged to participate in the shooting SIG, which meets on the fourth Saturday of each month and is announced in the bulletin.

Bibliography

McKay, L. (2009). Five Best Pistol Calibers Retrieved 03/08, 2011, from http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1396923/5_best_pistol_calibers.html?cat=41

NYPD. (2007). New York City Police Department Annual Firearms Discharge Report. New York, NY: Retrieved from http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/public_information/2007_firearms_discharge_report.pdf.

Patrick, U. W. (1989). Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness. Quantico, VA: Retrieved from http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf.

The_Reaper. (2005). Concealed Carry Weapons Retrieved Mar. 08, 2011, from http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9449

plato
03-09-2011, 13:25
With friendly tongue in cheek......

That would make it our second ammendment privelege? :)

Dusty
03-09-2011, 16:24
lol Mensa

nmap
03-09-2011, 17:15
At least it isn't the Nancy Pelosi glee club and choral society... :p

ZonieDiver
03-09-2011, 19:36
I liked the article!

Once upon a time, our company clerk informed me that my GT score qualified me to join MENSA, and invited me to a meeting. I thought I could meet womens. When I got there, I joined a group that was talking about Piri Reis (Turkish admiral long ago - with cool maps). I thought they were talking about PeeWee Reese (Dodger shortstop and later play-by-play announcer with Dizzy Dean and Gurt Gowdy) and joined in the conversation.

I wasn't invited back. :D

(That story IS true, and I am NOT taking it back even if one of those people shows up and disputes it!):boohoo

Peregrino
03-09-2011, 19:59
You forgot the most basic CCW truth there is: a Sterling/KelTec/Kahr in your pocket beats a 629 in the safe every time. Everything else is secondary.

PSM
03-09-2011, 20:04
I liked the article!

Once upon a time, our company clerk informed me that my GT score qualified me to join MENSA, and invited me to a meeting. I thought I could meet womens. When I got there, I joined a group that was talking about Piri Reis (Turkish admiral long ago - with cool maps). I thought they were talking about PeeWee Reese (Dodger shortstop and later play-by-play announcer with Dizzy Dean and Gurt Gowdy) and joined in the conversation.

I wasn't invited back. :D

(That story IS true, and I am NOT taking it back even if one of those people shows up and disputes it!):boohoo

Dude, common mistake. You thought it was a Menses meeting. BTDT! ;)

Pat

nmap
03-09-2011, 20:14
You forgot the most basic CCW truth there is: a Sterling/KelTec/Kahr in your pocket beats a 629 in the safe every time. Everything else is secondary.

That's a very good point. I'll add it, with the appropriate footnote to this thread.

Thank you!

nmap
03-09-2011, 20:17
I liked the article!

Thank you very much, for both the kind words and the story!

PSM
03-09-2011, 20:21
nmap,

You seem to be assuming that Mensa members would embrace CCW. Do you know that to be true with your 400? I would have thought that they would prefer to try negotiating until the bad guy is bored to death. ;)

Pat

nmap
03-09-2011, 21:44
nmap,

You seem to be assuming that Mensa members would embrace CCW. Do you know that to be true with your 400? I would have thought that they would prefer to try negotiating until the bad guy is bored to death. ;)

Pat

(Chuckle) Nooo...I can assure you that most are not at all in favor of CCW. Many are liberal. And yes, most would do their best to talk the bad guy out of it (no pink font here.).

But there are a few who are in favor of CCW, and even a few that practice. The shooting group I mentioned had 5 people show up last time - 3 from Mensa, 2 friends. So, if I can encourage those who have an interest...while, perhaps, annoying the more liberal side...it's all good. ;)

cszakolczai
03-09-2011, 22:34
(Chuckle) Nooo...I can assure you that most are not at all in favor of CCW. Many are liberal. And yes, most would do their best to talk the bad guy out of it (no pink font here.).
But there are a few who are in favor of CCW, and even a few that practice. The shooting group I mentioned had 5 people show up last time - 3 from Mensa, 2 friends. So, if I can encourage those who have an interest...while, perhaps, annoying the more liberal side...it's all good. ;)

Wait a second... you're telling me, that Texas has liberals? :confused: I dont believe it... MSNBC says Texas is all conservative and Rachel Madow would never lie to me

I liked the article by the way, let us know how it goes over.

craigepo
03-09-2011, 22:56
I think you should hit them with a little logical antagonism, you know, make them squirm in their seats a little. Challenge their beliefs a little. Drop them into a situation that really happened, and make them think their way out of it.

One of the first attorneys I worked for was a real jackass, but he was a fantastic med-mal defense attorney. Fantastic cross-examinations. His goal for his first question to an opposing physician was to make his mouth cottony, and to increase his heartrate ramp up over 120.

That many smart guys in one room, you've got to screw with 'em.

Roguish Lawyer
03-09-2011, 23:01
His goal for his first question to an opposing physician was to make his mouth cottony, and to increase his heartrate ramp up over 120.

I'm still trying to give someone a heart attack. No luck so far. Am I supposed to put that in pink?

dr. mabuse
03-09-2011, 23:57

incarcerated
03-10-2011, 01:11
Bypassing the membership’s general opposition to firearms and going straight to an equipment/caliber discussion sounds like a good approach. The fact that one can’t always choose his or her fights is an idea that does not always communicate well in conversation with eggheads. That concept may not come across in an intellectual argument or as an abstraction, and really has to be lived to be grasped. In my experience, MENSA types generally tend to be somewhat estranged from any type of fighting. With that in mind, perhaps future pieces dealing with defensive shootings involving LEOs (The Ayoob Files type stuff) might go a long way in generating audience interest. For that matter, you could skip firearms all together and work up a short treatise on knife fighting.
On the other hand, Doctor, you have opened a can of worms here that we might never get closed. :D

Dusty
03-10-2011, 05:04
Facts are facts; none of Mensa's founding members (Simon Bar Sinister, Lex Luthor and Egghead) considered it necessary to pack heat. If brain power alone was sufficient for them, it should be good enough for you latter-day pseudo-intellectuals as well, what?

JJ_BPK
03-10-2011, 05:38
N

1st, congrats on your Mensa membership,, and the fact that you have found some non-liberal members. I belonged to the Palm-Mensa chapter for several years in the 80t's and could not find anyone that was even central thinking.

2nd, Good article base. I would suggest for a discussion, you may want to brake out the NYPD statics from the weapon type. One could discuss or present the two independently for a good hour long speech.

Most Owls are math intensive,, so this is easy.. I have used the NYPD statics for years. Seems when ever the conversation comes up,, all the home boys think you need at least 10k in ammo, belt fed, .50 cal minimum. It's one reason I feel very comfortable with my S&W J frame with moon clips,, especially when I wear my speedo... :D

On the weapon type, this can be an exercise in getting a cross male/female discussion. Most people with small hands become very frustrated with an auto, because of the larger grip. They like the smaller revolver, but are intimidated by peers into a weapon they don't like, can't fire well,, and ultimately abandon.

I have also found that people with smaller hands & grips, generally have problems with "weak wrists" syndrome.

When I wear the appropriate clothing,, I like my .45 & three mags..

PS: Not all Owls are nice guys...

American murderer George Trepal got the nickname "the Mensa murderer" for his membership in the high-IQ society. Exactly whom did he poison?

his neighbors. The ultimate meddling neighbor, Florida genius and Death Row resident George Trepal was convicted of the murder of his neighbor Peggy Carr. George had placed some Coke bottles laced with the poison thallium nitrite in the Carr residence; the entire family became ill, but unlucky Peggy died. The reason? The Carrs made too much noise. Much was made of the fact that the bespectacled man was a member of Mensa and dubbed him "the Mensa murderer". (I was a member of Mensa at the time also, and can attest that we did not find this amusing). Apparently he drew suspicion to himself when, as the organizer of a Mensa "murder weekend", he made some sort of statement that neighbors should be careful of what they eat around their household. This suspicious statement led police to the proverbial smoking gun, in the form of a vial containing traces of thallium in Trepal's garbage.

The problem I found with Mensa is their inclusiveness... They have none..

My $00.0002 :munchin

Dusty
03-10-2011, 06:32
PS: Not all Owls are nice guys...

Rule of thumb: 93% of Mensa members drive Mazda Miatas-those are the nice ones.

Best Mensa Pickup Line: "You must be tired, because you've been running quadratic equations through my mind all night!"

Second Best: "I like the way that tape sets off your eyeglasses."

Buffalobob
03-10-2011, 07:07
A couple of points from an amateur:

Personality is extremely important to any gunfight and to the decision to even have a gun. The Arizona shooting was a good example of calm people, even unarmed, noticing the opponent's actions and acting at his vulnerable moment. Calmness and decisiveness are very desirable attributes in any type of crisis.

The issue of hand type, prior experience/training is important. After several session at the range with the Glock with an 8 page printout of how to grip it, I am close to being able to obtain the proper grip without changing hand position too many times. However yesterday, I also was shooting my revolver and had to take a moment to get the proper grip for it. I would also say for the amateur that the carry gun should also be the home defense gun such that there is not a mental disconnect during a crises.

I would add a phrase/sentence that reminds them that they are not the police and should not become engaged in a long running gun battle, so high capacity magazines are not all that useful and will create a lot of weight. The sentence you have indicates that there is a significant chance for them to become engaged in a long duration high volume gunfight. Going back to paragraph one, a person needs to assess the situation and conserve ammo if need be.

Being an accuracy freak, I think ammo selection is as important as gun selection. Your reference to FMJs is appropriate but falls short of leading them to the water. My suggestion is a separate article on ammo selection. But my thoughts are somewhat like this. FMJs have no place being used by amateurs around innocent people. Light weight HPs will reduce the potential for unintended consequences. Ammo that shoots with acceptable accuracy at reasonable ranges of say 20 yards and has an easily controlled recoil may require testing a half dozen different brands and bullet weights. One of the things I did was yesterday was tune a load by changing seating depth only 0.015 inches as an example of fanaticism with accuracy. Bottom line to me is that it is better to hit the guy with some type of bullet than to chose a bullet that has great theoretical characteristics but misses.

Of course this runs you well over your word limit. :D

nmap
03-10-2011, 07:18
Facts are facts; none of Mensa's founding members (Simon Bar Sinister, Lex Luthor and Egghead) considered it necessary to pack heat. If brain power alone was sufficient for them, it should be good enough for you latter-day pseudo-intellectuals as well, what?

We live in fallen times, Dusty. We are not equal to those giants of the past. However, not unlike the Brain, we still seek to rule the world. :D

Dusty
03-10-2011, 07:40
We live in fallen times, Dusty. We are not equal to those giants of the past. However, not unlike the Brain, we still seek to rule the world. :D

That lab gets lonely, too, Dexter-I understand.

Re: your article: I don't like the phrase "knockdown power", or even "relative stopping power".

Read "No Second Place Winner" by Bill Jordan to get an idea of where I stand on mankiller pistol rounds out of a revolver. I use Buffalo Bore 158 gr soft lead wadcutter hollow points for a S&W Model 442 (no need for .357 in a snubby), but I just bought my wife a Ruger SR9c fed with 124 grain Federals. I feel comfortable with her using that combination, because she's not scared of the recoil, and the round is sufficient to kill quickly at close range.

I like .45 for everything else (pistol-wise), personally, but up here, I don't have a big threat from attack by gangsters or hooligans-just your scattered crank-cooker.

longrange1947
03-10-2011, 08:01
I like the article, and agree with several points that have been raised. One point I feel should be raised is that unless you work with IA drills and a semi, then stick with a revolver. I too carry a 442 in my pocket. It is hammerless and can be pulled straight through or staged. I am comfortable with a wife carrying it since few practice enough for a stove pipe but most short with a limp wrist that causes stovepipes. Sorry if I have pissed off any ladies, but it is true.

As Peregrino stated, that little 442 in 38 or Kel TEc in 380 in the pocket is better than the 357 Mag or 45 in the safe. I am NOT a fan of 32s or 25s. Some 22s are more powerful.

nmap
03-10-2011, 17:27
Gentlemen, first of all - thank you all for your thoughts and ideas. I appreciate every single one of them.

I've reworked the article - this is what I will send the publication editor. It is far, far better than anything I could have done without your guidance.

----------------------------------------------------

If you have a permit that authorizes you to carry a concealed handgun, and you choose to make use of that privilege, you face the question of which firearm is best. There is no one answer, and certainly no easy answer. On the one hand, some advocate using the largest caliber available, for example the .45 caliber semiautomatic pistol. Others contend that a smaller weapon is both sufficient and effective. Some consider the .25 caliber semiautomatic pistol, or even a .22 caliber firearm as sufficient. The purpose of this brief article is not to offer answers, but rather to stimulate the critical inquiry that may help you come to an answer that fits your needs.

One of the first choices is between the revolver and the semiautomatic pistol. The revolver has the advantages of high dependability and simplicity. The semiautomatic pistol tends to be flatter, and often offers a greater ammunition capacity. In making this choice, it is essential that the firearm grips suit the shooter’s hand. Semiautomatic pistols have grips that may not always be appropriate for smaller hands. The practical consideration of the shooter’s hand may indicate the use of a revolver despite other considerations (JJ_BPK, 2011).

Either firearm can be entirely effective. According to a recent New York police study, about 68% of conflicts involving police required five or fewer shots from the perspective of the officer involved. About 22% required 6 to 10 shots. And 11% involved 11 or more shots (NYPD, 2007). From this, we might conclude that the revolver has sufficient ammunition for roughly 2/3 of the encounters involved by the New York Police Department.

Despite the foregoing, the person carrying a concealed handgun is not a police officer, and so is less likely to engage in an extended gunfight. A calm and decisive attitude may prove more important than any equipment. Assessment of the situation and avoidance of a confrontation is a better approach. From this perspective, the high ammunition capacity of some automatic pistols may well be superfluous. In routine use, the weight and bulk of such equipment may discourage regular carrying of the firearm (Buffalobob, 2011).

It is worth noting that the supposed power of even the largest caliber handgun is not a significant factor. Rather, the important issues are penetration of the target by the bullet and the diameter of the wound. Given the realities of human physiology, this means the bullet should penetrate at least 12 inches into the target. That said, over-penetration represents a risk to innocent bystanders and should be avoided (Patrick, 1989). Ammunition choice is beyond the scope of the present article, and will be discussed in greater detail at a future time.

With due consideration of the foregoing, at least one highly qualified user suggests that the smallest weapon caliber for a revolver is the 38 special, with options for semiautomatic handguns ranging from 9mm at the smallest through .40 caliber and up to a .45 caliber pistol (The_Reaper, 2005). Further corroboration is provided at a webpage provided by Yahoo (McKay, 2009). Some will prefer a different firearm, such as the KelTec .380, due to its small size and ease of concealment. It is much better to choose something that fits one’s needs and preferences and will actually be used than to obtain a firearm that will be left at home (Peregrino, 2011).

An additional consideration in firearm selection is reliability. If a cartridge in a revolver fails to fire, the user need only pull the trigger to access the next round. In contrast, those with semiautomatic pistols are faced with the challenge of clearing the failed round and loading the next available cartridge, all during a stressful period and in minimal time. This implies that practice for those with pistols is not limited to hitting the target. Rather, a series of immediate action (IA) drills are highly desirable. Those unable or unwilling to invest time and effort in building proficiency might wish to give strong consideration to the revolver (Longrange1947, 2011). The Smith & Wesson 442 may represent a good choice (Dusty, 2011; Longrange1947, 2011).

These choices may somewhat simplify the decision process, providing a starting point for the new shooter who has not yet decided on the best firearm for themselves. To summarize, the shooter should consider what they are comfortable using. In addition, they should give strong consideration to what they are willing to carry routinely. Furthermore, those with limited time to practice may wish to limit themselves to a single firearm for both concealed carry and home defense(Buffalobob, 2011).

Whatever choice the aspiring handgun owner might make the issue of proficiency remains. That can only be accomplished through regular practice. Those who wish to practice are encouraged to participate in the shooting SIG, which meets on the fourth Saturday of each month and is announced in the bulletin.

Bibliography

Buffalobob. (2011). Further Usage Notes Retrieved 03/10, 2011, from http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32681&page=2

Dusty. (2011). Firearm Choice Retrieved 03/10, 2011, from http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32681&page=2

JJ_BPK. (2011). Grips and the Hand Retrieved 03/10, 2011, from http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32681&page=2

Longrange1947. (2011). Advantages of Revolvers Retrieved 03/10, 2011, from http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32681&page=2

McKay, L. (2009). Five Best Pistol Calibers Retrieved 03/08, 2011, from http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1396923/5_best_pistol_calibers.html?cat=41

NYPD. (2007). New York City Police Department Annual Firearms Discharge Report. New York, NY: Retrieved from http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/public_information/2007_firearms_discharge_report.pdf.

Patrick, U. W. (1989). Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness. Quantico, VA: Retrieved from http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf.

Peregrino. (2011). CCW Basics Retrieved 03/10, 2011, from http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32681

The_Reaper. (2005). Concealed Carry Weapons Retrieved Mar. 08, 2011, from http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9449

Dusty
03-12-2011, 07:29
Gentlemen, first of all - thank you all for your thoughts and ideas. I appreciate every single one of them.

I've reworked the article - this is what I will send the publication editor. It is far, far better than anything I could have done without your guidance.

----------------------------------------------------

If you have a permit that authorizes you to carry a concealed handgun, and you choose to make use of that privilege, you face the question of which firearm is best. There is no one answer, and certainly no easy answer. On the one hand, some advocate using the largest caliber available, for example the .45 caliber semiautomatic pistol. Others contend that a smaller weapon is both sufficient and effective. Some consider the .25 caliber semiautomatic pistol, or even a .22 caliber firearm as sufficient. The purpose of this brief article is not to offer answers, but rather to stimulate the critical inquiry that may help you come to an answer that fits your needs.

One of the first choices is between the revolver and the semiautomatic pistol. The revolver has the advantages of high dependability and simplicity. The semiautomatic pistol tends to be flatter, and often offers a greater ammunition capacity. In making this choice, it is essential that the firearm grips suit the shooter’s hand. Semiautomatic pistols have grips that may not always be appropriate for smaller hands. The practical consideration of the shooter’s hand may indicate the use of a revolver despite other considerations (JJ_BPK, 2011).

Either firearm can be entirely effective. According to a recent New York police study, about 68% of conflicts involving police required five or fewer shots from the perspective of the officer involved. About 22% required 6 to 10 shots. And 11% involved 11 or more shots (NYPD, 2007). From this, we might conclude that the revolver has sufficient ammunition for roughly 2/3 of the encounters involved by the New York Police Department.

Despite the foregoing, the person carrying a concealed handgun is not a police officer, and so is less likely to engage in an extended gunfight. A calm and decisive attitude may prove more important than any equipment. Assessment of the situation and avoidance of a confrontation is a better approach. From this perspective, the high ammunition capacity of some automatic pistols may well be superfluous. In routine use, the weight and bulk of such equipment may discourage regular carrying of the firearm (Buffalobob, 2011).

It is worth noting that the supposed power of even the largest caliber handgun is not a significant factor. Rather, the important issues are penetration of the target by the bullet and the diameter of the wound. Given the realities of human physiology, this means the bullet should penetrate at least 12 inches into the target. That said, over-penetration represents a risk to innocent bystanders and should be avoided (Patrick, 1989). Ammunition choice is beyond the scope of the present article, and will be discussed in greater detail at a future time.

With due consideration of the foregoing, at least one highly qualified user suggests that the smallest weapon caliber for a revolver is the 38 special, with options for semiautomatic handguns ranging from 9mm at the smallest through .40 caliber and up to a .45 caliber pistol (The_Reaper, 2005). Further corroboration is provided at a webpage provided by Yahoo (McKay, 2009). Some will prefer a different firearm, such as the KelTec .380, due to its small size and ease of concealment. It is much better to choose something that fits one’s needs and preferences and will actually be used than to obtain a firearm that will be left at home (Peregrino, 2011).

An additional consideration in firearm selection is reliability. If a cartridge in a revolver fails to fire, the user need only pull the trigger to access the next round. In contrast, those with semiautomatic pistols are faced with the challenge of clearing the failed round and loading the next available cartridge, all during a stressful period and in minimal time. This implies that practice for those with pistols is not limited to hitting the target. Rather, a series of immediate action (IA) drills are highly desirable. Those unable or unwilling to invest time and effort in building proficiency might wish to give strong consideration to the revolver (Longrange1947, 2011). The Smith & Wesson 442 may represent a good choice (Dusty, 2011; Longrange1947, 2011).

These choices may somewhat simplify the decision process, providing a starting point for the new shooter who has not yet decided on the best firearm for themselves. To summarize, the shooter should consider what they are comfortable using. In addition, they should give strong consideration to what they are willing to carry routinely. Furthermore, those with limited time to practice may wish to limit themselves to a single firearm for both concealed carry and home defense(Buffalobob, 2011).

Whatever choice the aspiring handgun owner might make the issue of proficiency remains. That can only be accomplished through regular practice. Those who wish to practice are encouraged to participate in the shooting SIG, which meets on the fourth Saturday of each month and is announced in the bulletin.

Bibliography

Buffalobob. (2011). Further Usage Notes Retrieved 03/10, 2011, from http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32681&page=2

Dusty. (2011). Firearm Choice Retrieved 03/10, 2011, from http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32681&page=2

JJ_BPK. (2011). Grips and the Hand Retrieved 03/10, 2011, from http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32681&page=2

Longrange1947. (2011). Advantages of Revolvers Retrieved 03/10, 2011, from http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32681&page=2

Peregrino. (2011). CCW Basics Retrieved 03/10, 2011, from http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32681

"It is much better to choose something that fits one’s needs and preferences and will actually be used than to obtain a firearm that will be left at home (Peregrino, 2011)."

Might want to mention ease and speed of presentation.

"If a cartridge in a (double action) revolver fails to fire, the user need only pull the trigger to access the next..."

"To summarize, the shooter(s) should consider what they are comfortable using. In addition, they should..."

Turning into a good article, IMO.;)

nmap
03-12-2011, 11:15
Turning into a good article, IMO.;)

Thank you for the additional suggestions. It's only turning into something good because of those, like you, who really know the subject.

Peregrino
03-12-2011, 12:10
The important issue is not the article - it's as good as any of hundreds of others on the same topic. My question is "were you able to influence the target audience?". How was it recieved? That's the only gauge for success. :munchin

nmap
03-12-2011, 12:21
The important issue is not the article - it's as good as any of hundreds of others on the same topic. My question is "were you able to influence the target audience?". How was it recieved? That's the only gauge for success. :munchin

I won't know until after it gets distributed...sometime around the first week of April. If I suddenly cease posting after that, then you can assume the worst.

In all seriousness, I'm sure I will get some feedback, and I'll be glad to share it.

incarcerated
03-12-2011, 13:02
I am interested to hear about the emotional tones with which it is met, as well as the details of specific responses, pro and con. Please keep us posted.

Dusty
03-12-2011, 15:05
I am interested to hear about the emotional tones with which it is met, as well as the details of specific responses, pro and con. Please keep us posted.

Yeah, especially the tones. I can't wait for you to describe the tones.

ZonieDiver
03-12-2011, 19:52
Yeah, especially the tones. I can't wait for you to describe the tones.

Why do I think of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUcOaGawIW0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Dusty
03-13-2011, 08:46
Why do I think of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUcOaGawIW0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

:D That's so outre'.