PDA

View Full Version : Willys Jeep

craigepo
03-08-2011, 08:05
A friend sent me the attached video. We had souped-up Jeeps when I got to 2/75; they were pretty cool. However, I have absolutely no experience working on them.

I am curious if they were really this easy to work on. Also, I remember that the Willys kits were available for purchase for about $200.00. I'm curious if you can still buy the "Jeep-in-a-box" to put together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=lgwF8mdQwlw&feature=player_embedded

PR31C
03-08-2011, 09:31
Would love to have one, but seems to be an urban legend.

The 50 Dollar or Jeep in a box (http://www.olive-drab.com/od_mvg_jeeps_50dollars.php3)

Funny story: A local guy that has a restored one, stopped by the gas station to fill it up. His younger son was along for the ride and jumped in the driver's seat when Dad got out. The jeep was turned off so no worry. Well being an old jeep with no real saftey controls when junior hit the starter the jeep lunged in reverse running Dad over with the rear tire. Fortunely he survived with only a couple of bruises and a tire track across his leg. A true father and son moment to remember.

Ret10Echo
03-08-2011, 10:33
Sadly finding an old Willys is probably a very difficult thing to do. JC Whitney had about every part/panel you needed to repair or build one but I don't think they are out there any more.

I had a '49 flatfender at the time I went into the military. It still had the Flathead-4 cylinder in it. What a beast :lifter. I couldn't burn rubber, but I could jump it about a foot in the air by putting it in 1st gear and popping the clutch :D. Did some fording with it and managed to sucker a few pickup-trucks into following me. I got pretty good at recovery ops.

I sold it for $400 which was mostly what I had in it for tires and rims.

I know it's impossible, but boy, if there were one vehicle I wish I had stashed in a barn somewhere...

greenberetTFS
03-08-2011, 11:43
Willys jeep...............:D It was there in 1954 when I went in,but when was it replaced and by what?...........:rolleyes:

Big Teddy :munchin

Dusty
03-08-2011, 11:52
Willys jeep...............:D It was there in 1954 when I went in,but when was it replaced and by what?...........:rolleyes:

The Ford-American General M151.

greenberetTFS
03-08-2011, 12:09
The Ford-American General M151.

When?..............:confused:

JJ_BPK
03-08-2011, 12:32
I am curious if they were really this easy to work on. Also, I remember that the Willys kits were available for purchase for about $200.00. I'm curious if you can still buy the "Jeep-in-a-box" to put together]

My 1st was a 43 Willys hard top, pepsi red, I think it was 200 USD with a new engine. We bought a spare surplus engine for $50, created in cosmoline. Had an un-synchronized three speed that you had to learn. No heat, bad wipers, rusted floor boards,, but it was mine...

It had a manual hand pump for the plow blade on the dash. Pump to raise, twist-n-bleed to lower. I made $5 plowing drives in the neighborhood,, as long as the snow was dry.

I only changed oil and tires for two yrs, Never had to work on it, but it was a simple 4 banger..

Here is a 55 that's very similar. Under the hood you can see the plumbing for the plow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130481610841+&viewitem=#v4-35

Dusty
03-08-2011, 13:43
When?..............:confused:

http://www.m38a1.com/Resources/history.htm

mojaveman
03-08-2011, 16:15
You can still find the old Willy's jeeps but you have to look around. Most of the ones I've seen have been modified with different engines, transmissions, axels, etc. Always thought they were cool. Liked the Jeep Scramblers too.

akv
03-08-2011, 18:19
I went to high school in the Sierras, every summer going back to 1953 they have the Jeepers Jamboree, a 3-4 day trip from Georgetown, Ca up to Lake Tahoe via the Rubicon Trail. It's rough country but loads of fun, I'd highly recommend it for jeep aficionados, you see all sorts of Jeeps.

Go Devil
03-08-2011, 20:12
I've got a 1945/46 (8 year old complete restoration) and a garage full of parts I could sell you. They are essentially a big garden tractor.

ES 96
03-08-2011, 20:33
I've got a 1945/46 (8 year old complete restoration) and a garage full of parts I could sell you. They are essentially a big garden tractor.

Needs a bit more black squiggly, your licence plate is showing... ;)

Nice resto job though!

Go Devil
03-08-2011, 20:55
Needs a bit more black squiggly, your licence plate is showing... ;)

Nice resto job though!

Thanks, 45 is the critical number on that old gift.