PDA

View Full Version : How do you know.....

Team Sergeant
03-07-2011, 20:08
I received a question via PM and I thought it a good question:

"How do you know if you got what it takes to be a Special Forces soldier."

The Reaper
03-07-2011, 20:15
I received a question via PM and I thought it a good question:

If you have to ask, you probably don't.

OTOH, you could verify that by signing a 4187 and showing up at SFAS.

The cadre will then answer that question for you.

TR

Richard
03-07-2011, 20:15
That's like one of those questions you get from a wife or girlfriend and have a difficult time responding to - "Honey...do these jeans make my @$$ look fat?"

As for the "How do you know..." question - you'll know when your records show an 18 series MOSC (or a 3, S, 5G for the older guys) and you can sign in here as a QP.

Richard :munchin

Team Sergeant
03-07-2011, 20:19
It's a big decision.

I like the question and I like The Reaper's answer: If you have to ask, you probably don't.

bluebb
03-07-2011, 20:27
But let me go try anyway.

Blue

Peregrino
03-07-2011, 20:30
I see my peers all agree - the varient on J.P. Morgan's answer appears to sum it up nicely. :munchin

head
03-07-2011, 21:30
You hear a clanging sound whenever you walk. ;)

uplink5
03-07-2011, 21:58

I knew that I would make it or die trying. I gave it everything I had, and knew I'd never quit.

Also, as Richard points out:
you'll know when your records show an 18 series MOSC.

That was a good day because I really didn't want to die trying...:rolleyes:

SFSalRet08
03-07-2011, 23:03
There have been many a men that have asked that same question. It was answered the day they graduated! And for those who still ask the question, like my brothers have said before, fill out a 4187 and find out. No self assessment let the professionals at selection and Q decide if you have what it takes. You’ll get you answer soon enough. My .02

JJ_BPK
03-08-2011, 05:52
As TR spoke: "If you have to ask..."

Even if you don't ask,, you will never know until you get one of those pointy metal sticks in the mail and someone alters your DD-214.. :confused:

Dozer523
03-08-2011, 07:13
It's a big decision.

I like the question and I like The Reaper's answer: If you have to ask, you probably don't. I think you have to ask the question but you have to ask it in your heart.
If you ask it out loud . . . or if you care about somebody other then yourselves answer then . . . you probaly don't.

And then there is the next question, "Why do I want it?" That'll tell you something, too.

And on that note.

Dusty
03-08-2011, 08:00
If you have to ask, you probably don't.

OTOH, you could verify that by signing a 4187 and showing up at SFAS.

The cadre will then answer that question for you.

TR

:D That just about covers everything...

mark46th
03-08-2011, 09:06
I first volunteered because I figured if I am going to go, I want to go with the best, increasing my chances of surviving. Then, when I got involved, I discovered it was much more than just being with skilled pro's. It was a way of life, a comittment to the service of our country and becoming part of a brotherhood of trust and respect.

Buffalobob
03-08-2011, 10:18
I think Mark alluded to an interesting point.

Getting into SF requires a lot of determination and a lot of belief in yourself.

Staying in SF for a career is a matter of personality and goodness of the match between your self and the life both in war times and peacetime. Personally, peacetime/stateside in any portion of the Army was just not something that fit me well. I do not regret anytime I spent in service, but a military career was not going to work out for me.

P.S.
I see I have repeated myself several times which means I am having a hard time expressing my thought.

Dusty
03-08-2011, 10:31
I think Mark alluded to an interesting point.

Getting into SF requires a lot of determination and a lot of belief in yourself.

Staying in SF for a career is a matter of personality and goodness of the match between your self and the life both in war times and peacetime. Personally, peacetime/stateside in any portion of the Army was just not something that fit me well. I do not regret anytime I spent in service, but a military career was not going to work out for me.

P.S.
I see I have repeated myself several times which means I am having a hard time expressing my thought.

You can say that again.

Stras
03-08-2011, 11:40
There is no "Try", only "Do" or "DO NOT".* :D

Swing for the fence or stay in the dugout.

*Source: Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back, 1980.

greenberetTFS
03-08-2011, 12:01
I believe ZD has done a fine job in expressing the answer to that ;question.............;););)

I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not.
Zonie Diver

Big Teddy :munchin

greenberetTFS
10-05-2011, 16:24
That's like one of those questions you get from a wife or girlfriend and have a difficult time responding to - "Honey...do these jeans make my @$$ look fat?"

As for the "How do you know..." question - you'll know when your records show an 18 series MOSC (or a 3, S, 5G for the older guys) and you can sign in here as a QP.

Richard

Again,that question is best answered by two people I highly respect....:) That's why I chose to use them in my signature.........:) And If you don't know now I doubt that you ever will.......:)

Big Teddy :munchin

full cooler
10-05-2011, 18:36
I spent my 1st 18 years in the USMC, my father was a MGySgt who served in WWII and Korea. I was drafted in 1966 and decided I would make my father proud. He attended my graduation from OCS , Gen Lew Walt was the keynote speaker. My dad served with him in Korea and Gen Walt's nephew was a classmate.

Long story long, I went into Special Forces to prove something to myself & my father (he later admitted to having no doubt). Best decision I've made to date.

Utah Bob
10-11-2011, 07:42
Chicks dig you.

ZonieDiver
10-11-2011, 09:49
Chicks dig you.

Yeah, but that's because you don't wear underwear!:D

SF_BHT
10-11-2011, 10:05
Yeah, but that's because you don't wear underwear!:D

ZD. Shhhhhh. Do not tell every one our secret. :eek:

greenberetTFS