PDA

View Full Version : Knights Armament SR15

alelks
03-03-2011, 19:52
Anyone have any experience with this particular model? I'm seriously looking at diving into the AR15 pool and so far I think this is the one for me, especially since it's a quality build right out of the box.

Click Me (http://www.knightarmco.com/sr15.html)

18068[/URL]

longrange1947
03-03-2011, 20:24
I would not own a Reed Knight weapon on a bet. Go to LaRue Tactical and look at his weapons. Better built, better quality, better everything.

My 2 cents.

alelks
03-03-2011, 20:29
Coming from you that means a lot Rick. I'm headed there now.

Thanks Brother!

Peregrino
03-03-2011, 20:34
Thanks Rick. You saved me some typing! :D

Surgicalcric
03-03-2011, 21:46
Thanks Rick. You saved me some typing! :D

Ditto...

Crip

The Reaper
03-03-2011, 22:18
Run, do not walk, away from that weapon and get to LaRue ASAP.

TR

alelks
03-03-2011, 22:32
I have DEFINITELY adjusted fire. Just waiting for couple of things to come through in the next few months (selling a Polaris RZR UTV and Sport Quad I haven't ridden in about 2 years now).

pyreaux
03-03-2011, 23:21
Glad I saw this, I've been considering an ar and would have overlooked LaRue otherwise.

NoRoadtrippin
03-04-2011, 01:49
Not to take away from Mark and crew over at Larue, but I would also say that there are a lot of good weapons out there for "jumping into the AR pool" without having to spend 3k dollars on your first hit. You can get a solid AR for 1k bucks pretty easily. There is also of course plenty of used deals to be had all over the internets.

I'm selling one now come to think of it...ha...

But seriously, there's plenty out there to choose from. Did you read the primer on this site?

Menschenschreck
03-05-2011, 08:45
May I ask why there is an aversion to the Knight's rifles? The previous comments are the first negative reaction I've seen. The reason I ask is that I'm about to purchase another AR pattern rifle, and the KAC was the one I was planning on owning.

Papa Zero Three
03-05-2011, 09:08
I would also throw out there that if it's within your budget, that Noveske (http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/) makes a pretty good platform as well.

R3V3LATIONS
03-05-2011, 09:34
roger...definite +1, Noveske has excellent QC and Customer Service along with a well built rifle.

However, depending on your budget, you could also look at BCM for a good rifle. (by good I mean things are staked correctly, proper buffers, parkerized FSB, good m4 feedramps, FA bolt/carrier et.) Again, I would recommend to go with the Noveske. IMHO, some of the best rifles around for serious users.

gits
03-05-2011, 10:49
I would also take a hard look at the LMT MRP series. I was just in the market for an AR and I was heavily looking at getting a Noveske. But the barrel swap option for LMT was a done deal for me. You can swap out between piston and DI. And if needed swap out to a 10.5 inch barrel.

Stras
03-05-2011, 10:55
I built my own for about $750. DPMS lower receiver, LMT upper w/barrel.

A fellow QP swears by his that I built, has a couple of deer that confirm quality of workmanship.

There are bargains out there and there is a lot of junk.

Knights has some good items. There's more to buying a rifle in my book than good or decent weapons quality. There are companies one deals with and one avoids.

koz
03-05-2011, 11:18
One thing I'm not crazy about on the SR15 is their proprietary bolt - I'm not sure it adds any real reliability but it limits where you can get spare bolts...
But the SR15 is a nice weapon.

longrange1947
03-05-2011, 14:20
I still would noy buy a knight weapon on a bet. You "may get a good one", but more likely you will not.

If you know what you are doing you can build a good one with premium pieces and get a good deal. If you want an out of the box then go with LaRue, his are top of th eline as far as I am concerned. That is not just my opinion, all the instructors prefer his guns.

Go with what you like, but I have given my opinion. :D

Stras
03-05-2011, 15:31
I was talking about their hand guard rail system..;)

J8127
03-05-2011, 20:26
I have never heard anything bad about knights before, I'll have to do some research.

I have a Daniel Defense and am perfectly happy with it.

The Reaper
03-05-2011, 21:32
The rifles he has sold the Army have not exactly performed as promised, and I am not a fan of his business practices either.

Not sure about you, but I own one of his rifles and would just say caveat emptor.

The OP asked for opinions, and he has them.

TR

kgoerz
03-06-2011, 12:10
There are plenty of used ones out there. Plenty of used parts also. I would piece it together and sink my money into Ammo and Optics. I always tell people if it's for personal use. No need for a Mil Spec type expensive AR. BCM, LMT, Rock River DPMS won't cost you a fortune.

caveman
03-06-2011, 12:27
I have a Daniel Defense and am perfectly happy with it.

+1

Peregrino
03-06-2011, 14:56
There are plenty of used ones out there. Plenty of used parts also. I would piece it together and sink my money into Ammo and Optics. I always tell people if it's for personal use. No need for a Mil Spec type expensive AR. BCM, LMT, Rock River DPMS won't cost you a fortune.

Pretty much what I've done for everything except the SPR forgery my gunsmith built for me. That's why I've got such a mix from DelTon, DPMS, and RR - in that order.

Menschenschreck
03-06-2011, 16:36
Thank you for the replies, for those that have commented on the KAC rifles.

SF0
03-08-2011, 16:07
My SR-15 E3 is a decent weapon. It works. If you don't care about native ambi controls, and the proprietary gas system and bolt, then pick up a LaRue or something from BCM.

One thing about the bolt- a regular one can be used in a pinch, apparently. I have not tried it myself.

Texas_Shooter
03-08-2011, 16:10
Has anybody had any first hand experience with the cilvillian version of the H&K 416 the H&K MR556?

WholeManin2010
03-08-2011, 18:19
I definitely second the LMT MRP suggestion... Excellent rifle from a great American company. Barrel and caliber change is a big plus. I've only fired it on normal flat ranges out to 200 meters, but it is totally reliable, even when dirty (and it's hard to get much of it very dirty). They can easily be had for 3-400 less than MSRP.

I look forward to really putting it through it's paces at a CSAT course later this year, possibly with the 12" piston barrel. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

The Reaper
03-08-2011, 19:30
Has anybody had any first hand experience with the cilvillian version of the H&K 416 the H&K MR556?

You got a price on one yet?

TR

Texas_Shooter
03-09-2011, 01:04
You got a price on one yet?

TR

Yeah your right $2500 is steep.

ZonieDiver
03-09-2011, 01:06
The greatest weapon in the hands of a sub-par user... is sub-par.

A sub-par weapon in the hands of a great user can be... great.

IMHO

Texas_Shooter
03-09-2011, 01:32
I was reading up on the La Rue Tactical and saw that it was direct gas impingement, I thought the consensus was that the piston operating system was a cleaner, cooler method to run an AR platform. Or is there a problem with the piston system that I have not heard of? It is the price of the two isn't it? The gas piston system runs more expensive then the direct gas impingement. is that one of the bigger setbacks?

SF0
03-09-2011, 08:24
I was reading up on the La Rue Tactical and saw that it was direct gas impingement, I thought the consensus was that the piston operating system was a cleaner, cooler method to run an AR platform. Or is there a problem with the piston system that I have not heard of? It is the price of the two isn't it? The gas piston system runs more expensive then the direct gas impingement. is that one of the bigger setbacks?

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/search.php

Papa Zero Three
03-09-2011, 09:05
The greatest weapon in the hands of a sub-par user... is sub-par.

A sub-par weapon in the hands of a great user can be... great.

IMHO

After having watched Jerry Barnhart take a issued pistol he had never fired before from a team guy and clean a rack of plates at his normal speed, I have to agree with you.

alelks
04-08-2011, 19:32
Well it's definitely going to be a LeRue. I haven't picked up a rife in over 15 years so any advice on iron sights would be appreciated. Initially this is going to be a short range gun. I'll purchase a good scope later for long range shots.

I'm also leaning towards putting on an Eotech. The 552 sight looks nice but does anyone have any experience with the XPS sights?

Thanks guys!

Peregrino
04-08-2011, 19:51
Well it's definitely going to be a LeRue. I haven't picked up a rife in over 15 years so any advice on iron sights would be appreciated. Initially this is going to be a short range gun. I'll purchase a good scope later for long range shots.

I'm also leaning towards putting on an Eotech. The 552 sight looks nice but does anyone have any experience with the XPS sights?

Thanks guys!

Congratulations, I don't think you can go wrong with a LaRue product. FWIW - I'm using ARMS 40Ls and GI fronts on all of my serious rifles. My plinkers use MAGPULs because they're cheap. The 552 is nice (I've got two) but do you need to spend the extra $80+ for the NV capability? The 512 does everything except NV and the price difference is 2/3s of the BUIS price. If you just want to spend money, I would suggest the 553 (current SOPMOD version). Better battery life (though nothing can match an Aimpoint) and takes up less rail space. My .02.

R3V3LATIONS
04-09-2011, 09:53
Sir, I would avoid the 552 EO tech, only becuase the battery terminals get loose after awhile. I was the second gen owner of mine that had this issue, so I cant speculate on how fast this happens. However, if you do go for the EO tech, Kyle Defoor offers some tips on how to go about fixing this flaw. Link below:

http://www.kyledefoor.com/2009/12/mounting-tips-and-eotech-secret.html

I actually sold the 552 that I had and am replacing it with an Aimpoint 4MOA dot T-1 Micro.

HTH

fng13
04-09-2011, 10:09
I'd suggest the xps series if you want an eotech. Its a little cheaper. You can get the xps3 for NV use or the xps2 if NV isn't an issue. The battery is perpendicular to the receiver which helps resolve the battery issues. I have 2000+ rounds shot with my xps2 on and havn't had a single problem with it, also havn't had to replace the batteries yet.

It also has a small footprint giving you more room for additional optics if you desire and cowitnesses with my irons as well. If you like the 553 Socom model they are now selling an xps3 with a similar setup i.e. fde with a quick detach base.

Hope thats a little helpful.

alelks
04-09-2011, 10:56
FNG13

The MUCH smaller footprint is what's attracting me towards the XPS. Good to here it's holding up.

Anyone else have any experience with the XPS?

NoRoadtrippin
04-12-2011, 20:49
FWIW - I'm using ARMS 40Ls and GI fronts on all of my serious rifles. . .The 552 is nice (I've got two) but do you need to spend the extra $80+ for the NV capability? The 512 does everything except NV and the price difference is 2/3s of the BUIS price. . .My .02.

Mine are setup the same as Mr. Peregrino here. I've got the two 552s and an ACOG to round out my optics at the moment. My reason for going for the 552 rather than the XPS is the ability to find AA batteries cheaply and in abundance. On other threads on this board, that type thought process has been pointed out as having merit in a SHTF/EOTW type gun. The idea being to standardize on one type of battery that's easily found. I use rechargeable ones. Because of the lower voltage, the sight blinks when it first comes on as its chip thinks the batteries are dying, but they aren't and it seems to run fine at the lower volt.

45K40
05-04-2011, 11:06
I've got the 551 and 553. I got the 551 because I wanted the NV compatability and shortness of the batt housing. The availability of N cells is somewhat spotty and expensive. I got the 553 because it uses CR123 batts and has throw levers, although it is a little chunky. The 511/551/552/512 sit a little low for me, so the 553 is just right. I used a 1/4" riser for the 551. I concur with the "do you really need the $80 NV function?" statement as I have found a few 2nd and 3rd gen NVDs display the reticle better on the lowest visible setting. It is sad L3/EoTech gouges for this NV feature; it is nothing special, unless you have some whiz-bang, super-duper sensitive NVD,

45K40

alelks
09-12-2011, 19:55
Well I pulled the trigger so to speak on the Larue today. I ordered the 7.62 PreditAR with iron sights and and EOTech XPS-2 (12-14 week production time on the weapon). :D I may change the EOTec to the XPS-3 model (Night Vision) model as the time come closer as it's only $93 more.

Angry Mike
09-18-2011, 10:32
I've run the XPS on my fool around guns now since they came out.

I actually took it on my first contractor gig. Works real well. Didn't use NV so the XPS2 was better than I expected. Got it from PlanetOptics.com at a good price point.

I owned KAC SR-15 #3. One of our trainers had #'s 1&2.
Had some growing pains. A change of flash suppressor sent the whole gun into a spin. Luckily we were in Titusville when I got the rifle and just took it back to the factory. Our gunsmith and Jerry went with me and it took us most of a weekend to get past the teething problems.
I do like the way the gun is put together and how light it is, pretty easy to tote around all day. Reed is always willing to give a factory tour and I know folks have issues with him, personally he is an ok guy. Little over the top and so are some of his rep's and managers.

Not a real fanboy of anybody right now.
LAV is rep'ing that DD gun and it is well made.
I think I am moving in the direction of a SIG 716 and a 552/6. Mainly due to some professional and private relationships I have with SIG.
And I know how the last rifle down select went, so that kind of swayed my decision making.

A very good friend of mine from the Unit has a LaRue in 7.62 and seems satisfied.
Mark made it for him and he got it from us as gift on retirement.
And the Noveske's seem to be holding up.
You want a real no-shit opinion, call john horrigan. They live near each other and john is no bullshit.

I heard from a friend that BHI is building really good rifles.
Looking into them building my next 3-gun rifle for pure competition shoots.
Donny B turned me on to them if that matters.

Will see how it turns out.