PDA

View Full Version : # Career Firefights

gmanflyarmy
03-02-2011, 18:37
I've debating asking this question, just out of respect and trying to remain humble- but if a SF candidate someday becomes a professional soldier- and is deployed on a rotation over to a hotspot on the globe, how often could he find himself in kill-or-be-killed situations? How many times have you all been shot in your careers? Being a small part of the general public leaves me unanswered, however I do have utmost respect for what you guys do, and have done. That said, if a personal glimpse or insight can't be given, I understand.

Thanks,
John

The Reaper
03-02-2011, 19:05
I've debating asking this question, just out of respect and trying to remain humble- but if a SF candidate someday becomes a professional soldier- and is deployed on a rotation over to a hotspot on the globe, how often could he find himself in kill-or-be-killed situations? How many times have you all been shot in your careers? Being a small part of the general public leaves me unanswered, however I do have utmost respect for what you guys do, and have done. That said, if a personal glimpse or insight can't be given, I understand.

Thanks,
John

Maybe none, could be a bunch.

Why?

TR

Stras
03-03-2011, 01:07
depends on what you call firefights...

daily if not hourly probability of occurence for some of us overseas. it goes with the job.

In other words, its not a matter of "if", rather "When".

Dusty
03-03-2011, 04:02

Thanks,
John

That's a nervy question, in that I would think many wannabees form the question mentally, but most figure out the answer in time to save themselves the embarrassment of appearing imbecilic by actually asking it.

You can't collect data in order to "figure the odds" on getting shot, hurt or killed in SF, and if that's your reason for wanting to know, you don't belong in the Community, anyway.

Richard
03-03-2011, 05:49
Zero to one too many. But if you're worried about it, it ain't your cup of tea and I'd suggest you switch brands and stick with the Starbucks decaf chai crowd.

Richard :munchin

1stindoor
03-03-2011, 06:24
This is something I don't feel comfortable talking about with someone outside of the community. Even inside the community we don't talk about it often. It's not the number of times I've been shot at that I remember the most...it's the number of people I know on the memorial wall that sticks to me.

SF_BHT
03-03-2011, 06:37
The next thing someone is going to ask is how many people have you killed......

These are things that people do not ask. People only talk about these issued to the closest friends and usually to only remember a fallen or wounded team mate or counterpart.

None or more than one is one too many.

Please keep the silly/inappropriate questions to yourself.

Just my 2 cents.....

x SF med
03-03-2011, 09:07
I do believe we have a winner in the least thought out and most idiotic question of the year thread here.... especially since the word SOLDIER is part of the job title for Special Forces.

greenberetTFS
03-03-2011, 11:19
Young man,read the signature on the bottom of this post that's signed by ZonieDiver and that should give you the answer your looking for.............:(

Big Teddy :munchin

koz
03-03-2011, 14:13
The next thing someone is going to ask is how many people have you killed......

And how many people have you killed with your bare hands...:munchin

Richard
03-03-2011, 15:37

In my mind while sitting through a VGT/PPT presentation or in real life? :p

Utah Bob
03-03-2011, 16:47
Geeeez!:rolleyes:

Guy
03-03-2011, 17:38
After this last trip...we were pretty damn good "avoiding" them!:lifter :D :cool:

Stay safe.

Box
03-03-2011, 20:35
...are you talking specifically about being down range or does Murchison road on a payday count?

...or down town San Antonio after a Spurs game?

...or in Detroit during a

well, just being in Detroit

If you want some real excitement you should try to get a job with Delta (http://www.delta.com/)

:confused:

Guy
03-04-2011, 09:53
...are you talking specifically about being down range or does Murchison road on a payday count?

...or down town San Antonio after a Spurs game?

...or in Detroit during a

well, just being in Detroit

If you want some real excitement you should try to get a job with Delta (http://www.delta.com/)

:confused:Detroit and the Murc are off limits even to me.:eek:

Stay safe.

SF_BHT
03-04-2011, 14:21

Today or last week:eek:?????:p

Utah Bob
03-04-2011, 18:14
Today or last week:eek:?????:p

Day ain't over yet. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XBi2p428tE):D

PRB
03-04-2011, 23:25
Son, if you get in a fight you fight. Period.
If it happens once or often doesn't matter, you respond accordingly.
When QP's get together we don't talk about 'firefights' we talk about crazy shit team guys/ we did in difficult/unusual circumstances circumstances. The spirit to overcome the mundane drudge of a base camp etc.

gmanflyarmy
03-09-2011, 09:48
depends on what you call firefights...

daily if not hourly probability of occurence for some of us overseas. it goes with the job.

In other words, its not a matter of "if", rather "When".

Thanks for helping put it in perspective.

T7L
03-09-2011, 10:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by koz
And how many people have you killed with your bare hands... :munchin

In my mind while sitting through a VGT/PPT presentation or in real life? :p

Thanks Richard. That made my day. Now I'm off for some paper towels to wipe what I was drinking off my screen. :D

wet dog
03-09-2011, 11:20
I swear, if I don't get my non-fat Chai right now, I'm going to kill someone!

edited: who noticed that Starbuck's changed their logo?

Viking
03-10-2011, 07:26
You want a firefight? Stumble down the Murc at 2300 on a Saturday night "pretending" to be drunk and go ATM to ATM. It's guaranteed to happen. Better have a robust Support By Fire. :D

7624U
03-10-2011, 08:25
What ya going to do PL !!!!!

greenberetTFS
03-10-2011, 08:35
I do believe we have a winner in the least thought out and most idiotic question of the year thread here.... especially since the word SOLDIER is part of the job title for Special Forces.

I concur,anyway it's the top one so far this year!...............:rolleyes:

Big Teddy :munchin