PDA

View Full Version : Foreclosures Help Change Color Of Suburbs

Pete
02-28-2011, 07:59
Foreclosures Help Change Color Of Suburbs

http://www.theindychannel.com/money/27019266/detail.html

This story has a number of interesting angles. The title is misleading.

".........."The reason suburbs are the way they are is because a certain element can't afford to live in your community," adds Twiggs, a 54-year-old printer. "If you have $300,000, $400,000, $500,000 homes you're relatively secure in the fact that (the homeowners) are people who can afford it.

"But when you have this crash, people who normally couldn't afford to live in Southfield are moving in. When you have a house for $9,900 on the corner over there - that just destroys my property."..............."

dennisw
02-28-2011, 08:22
Tough situation. There's very little solace for someone who has tied a major amount of their limited capital in a residence in a neighborhood that is going through this sort of transition. If and when housing prices rise again, this problem may sort itself out. Waiting it out may be very uncomfortable.

It seems there should be some strict laws related to having multiple families residing in one residence. If there are such laws, then you need a local government which is willing to enforce them.

In my neck of the woods there has been problems related to folks purchasing a house in the normal neighborhood and then turning it into a halfway house. Not a lot of happy neighbors when this occurs.

LibraryLady
03-01-2011, 10:16
...It seems there should be some strict laws related to having multiple families residing in one residence. If there are such laws, then you need a local government which is willing to enforce them...

You want govt to determine how many people should be allowed to live in a home? :eek:

I respect that landlords can make that distinction, and covenants are enacted to which you must agree to before buying property in certain developments, but I'm not gonna allow my government to tell me how many people can reside on my property. In my home. It's bad enough they restrict how many critters and what kind... :rolleyes:

LL

Pete
03-01-2011, 10:41
You want govt to determine how many people should be allowed to live in a home? :eek:

I respect that landlords can make that distinction, and covenants are enacted to which you must agree to before buying property in certain developments, but I'm not gonna allow my government to tell me how many people can reside on my property. In my home. It's bad enough they restrict how many critters and what kind... :rolleyes:

LL

Not everyone has public sewer, some still have septic tanks. Septic tank starts getting overloaded the back yard starts to stink and to "solve the problem" some start running the washer drain hose straight into the back yard.

More adults equal more cars equal more visitors all the time equals mad neighbors.

A good neighbor is a jewel to be cherished.

dennisw
03-01-2011, 10:43
Librarylady said

You want govt to determine how many people should be allowed to live in a home?

I respect that landlords can make that distinction, and covenants are enacted to which you must agree to before buying property in certain developments, but I'm not gonna allow my government to tell me how many people can reside on my property. In my home. It's bad enough they restrict how many critters and what kind...

The government already decides many things related to property in the form of zoning laws. I respect your desire to be the Queen of your castle. However, what if a person bought the house next to you and then finished off the attic and installed 15 illegal aliens in the house. For every 2 persons living there you have a car, one of which is always being repaired. Now in front of your house you have seven jalopies. They may be from a different culture where trash is not considered an eyesore. At some point you may selling your house for at a least close to what you've paid for it.

With your new neighbors, it's likely any potential buyers may be wary.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have a certain latitude with what you do with your own residence, but more than likely it's a single family residence. In my mind you cannot have three families living in a single family residence.

Likewise, what if your neighbor decided to change his home into a halfway house for resident sex offenders? Are you okay with that? Obviously there are limits and restrictions. Without taking matters into your own hand, local government has to become involved.

In our town we have a former celebrity who has an affinity for providing a home for abandoned great danes. You may believe you can keep as many critters as you desire, but at some point the amount of critters you keep may impact your neighbors and the quality of the neighborhood odor or noise. In this particular neighborhood this has been a bit of a problem.

Lastly, you have more faith in landlords than I do.

Guy
03-01-2011, 10:58
from the article:

Some blacks just don't want to live near other blacks, she says: "There is classism within the black community. The foreclosure crisis may be accelerating it." But she says middle-class blacks, like middle-class whites, are also put off by behavior of impoverished blacks who "have developed their own culture, one that is very different from mainstream America."

Just wait until you see my next location....:eek::munchin

BTW...I was "crucified" about getting rid of the swim test.

Stay safe.

Pete
03-01-2011, 11:06
from the article:

Just wait until you see my next location....:eek::munchin

Stay safe.

If while driving around you see cars up on blocks where they've repo-ed the rims run - don't just walk to another subdivision.

The census people have my neighborhood at 40% white and 46% black. Anybody walk out to the street with me and they would not be able to pick out the "white" homes from the "black" homes. They all look "middle class". And I would say, the majority wish to keep it that way.

Buffalobob
03-01-2011, 12:09
Not everyone has public sewer, some still have septic tanks. Septic tank starts getting overloaded the back yard starts to stink and to "solve the problem" some start running the washer drain hose straight into the back yard.

Welcome to my world Pete. That is where my career started. We'll convert you to a tree huggin liberal yet! :D

Texas_Shooter
03-01-2011, 13:05
It is called gentrification, and it has been happening for years, especially in Detroit. I have family just north of Detroit in Warren, everything is for rent. When your whole neighborhood is for rent, that is when it is definitely time to run right out of there.

Peregrino
03-01-2011, 13:11
All excellent reasons why I will never live in a subdivision again.

Texas_Shooter
03-01-2011, 13:23
All excellent reasons why I will never live in a subdivision again.

Just surround yourself with 100 acres of land. And it is even better when nobody hears your plinking.