PDA

View Full Version : back from the JRTC

mffjm8509
08-27-2004, 18:10
40 degrees cooler at Colorado Springs airport than when I boarded in Alexandria, Louisianna. I must say that was nice.

Good trip all said and done. We completed 3 excellent live fire scenarios, one 11 mile Convoy lane with CAS (A-10s and AH-64s) and 2 runs through Shutgartt-Gordon.

Shutgart-Gordon is by far the best range I've ever been on. The special effects simulating battlfield explsions are as close to combat one can get to and not get shot. There were hollywood type explosions, wire guided RPGs hitting cars in the street, and 3D targetry inside and outside of the buildings.....all very realistic

The replication exercise we participated in was so-so as the first time its been done. There are a few bugs to be worked out, but I saw it as a good "shakeout" for the team based on what we'll be doing when deployed. Not a traditional rotation by any means.

The OCs were some of the most profesional guys I've ever worked with this time. Must be why that place breeds E8s.

You've got to shoot on Shutgart-Gordon if you ever get the chance. I doubt theres a better range anywhere in the world where bullets arent flying back at you! There is a very nice monument for them at the base of the water tower there as well. Stop and read it if you get the chance.

mp

Team Sergeant
08-27-2004, 19:31
Damn, sounds like your trip beat the hell out of my trip to JRTC seven years ago! The ranges sound great!

TS

Razor
08-27-2004, 20:27
How'd ya like the special 'welcome home' torrential rainstorm we arranged for you? :p

mffjm8509
08-28-2004, 06:07
Originally posted by Razor
How'd ya like the special 'welcome home' torrential rainstorm we arranged for you? :p

Rain is something that I dealt with virtually every day down there.....but the temp while being wet is a signifigant change. I sat outside at a football scrimmage last night in the rain, and about 50 degrees cooler than at ft polk.

I'm not complaining though....

mp

Basenshukai
08-28-2004, 12:15
My sentiments exactly, bro. It has become a great training ground. 3/7 SFG gave that place an ass whooping just last summer. We even hijacked the OPFOR CDR´s SUV (Ford Expedition) for about a week. He brought it into the box, we got it and kept it. He tried to get it back in an admin move, but the OCs said that the rule book strictly stated that if it comes into the play, it becomes part of the play until we stop using it. We used it all the time. LOL. We read the rule book too. :D

mffjm8509
08-28-2004, 13:55
Originally posted by Basenshukai
We even hijacked the OPFOR CDR´s SUV (Ford Expedition) for about a week.

Thats a bit of intel I could've used a few weeks ago. After I pulled a snatch operation on "Omar", one of his company commanders he came to town trying to figure out what was up.

The BC, "Mohamed", drove by the house a couple of times in the expedition.

mp