PDA

View Full Version : Any recomendations on MP3 players?

GreenSalsa
08-27-2004, 16:56
Hey guys,

I am heading downrange and am interested if anyone has any opinions on portable music devices (MP3 players). I am looking for a MP3 player with the following characteristics;

Battery powered (I want to avoid the internal rechargeable battery, I will be in a mixed austere / office environment and recharging might present a problem)

1 GB or larger in memory (Larger is better, I intend to use it to hold photos of family and use it to transfer emails to my personal laptop)

I have done some preliminary research but can’t seem to find a player bigger than 256 MB that is powered by a battery. I love the idea of the Dell DJ model with the 20 GB of memory but it has a rechargeable battery. If anyone has any recommendations on what has worked good for you please let me know,

Thanks again,

GreenSalsa

magician
08-27-2004, 17:09
I use a 40GB iPod with a battery attachment. I forget who makes the battery pack, and I am too lazy to walk all the way downstairs to check it out. It takes AA batteries, and works ok. You get a good eight hours out of the internal iPod battery, and can get another good eight hours out of the external battery pack.

The iPod is expensive....but cool as hell. I have over 18GBs of music on mine, with more to load. It syncs automatically with iTunes software running on your choice of laptop, and updates your lists, and transfers any new music. It transfers fast, whether you use USB2 or FireWire.

The new ear plugs have some really decent bass. I have been lusting over those Harman-Kardon noise-negating headphones.....saving up for a set. About another $250 for those. A spare set of standard ear plugs are about $30-40. They are not the ear bud style. Rather, they are like a funnel, and insert snugly into your ears.

It is the heat. Not cheap.

bberkley
08-27-2004, 17:11
http://www.iriveramerica.com/products/iFP-899.aspx

The skip-free iFP-899 delivers superior sound in a sleek, sport-ready design. It features 1GB of internal memory for up to 34 hours of music, extended battery life up to 40 hours on one AA, a built-in FM tuner and voice recorder. It also records music from any audio source. Plus, this lightweight player can be used to store music or transfer files of any type. MSRP: $399.99

Plays MP3, WMA & OGG music files
1GB Internal Storage
Plays up to 34 hours of music
Transfers music up to 3X faster*
Skip-free and sport-ready
Record music from any audio source (no PC required)
FM Tuner & Recorder
Voice Recorder
Store or transfer any file type
Up to 40 hours of battery life

iFP-899 music player
iRiver earphones
Sport arm band and carrying case
Neck strap
Preloaded tracks from eMusic
USB 2.0 cable
Line-in cable
Installation CD (PC/Mac)
1 AA battery

Solid
08-27-2004, 18:08
I have been an iPod user since its first iterration. I was recently given the newest version, and it's the heat. My iPod has been through numerous hikes, river fordings, skis and ruck marches. It has been dropped, hit, shot with a BB gun (bastige younger bro) and wet. It kept running. With the battery add-on, it is a very high-quality piece of hardware. Furthermore, the iTunes product which it is packaged with is perhaps the best jukebox and MP3 software platform available on the market, and the iTunes store has an expansive and cheap amount of music to download (all at .99 cents). The newest version connects to both Mac and PC with no problems, and is very pragmatic and functional.

I would seriously, seriously recommend this product. It is by far the best on the market, in my opinion.

HTH,

Solid

magician
08-27-2004, 18:18
my battery unit is made by Belkin.

not sure if there are alternative units. It works fine.

battery time is actually longer than 8 hours. More like 12 hours.

I bought it in a duty free shop in Taipei. Pretty sure they are available via mailorder, or via the apple store.

The Reaper
08-27-2004, 18:23
I will second the iRiver, I have the FP-190 and love it.

There are 512 MB models and I believe a 1GB as well.

Not sure about transfers of non-music files, though.

TR

Team Sergeant
08-27-2004, 19:21
What's an MP3 player?

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-27-2004, 19:33
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
What's an MP3 player?

I'm with you TS. I can still remember my crystal set. I am still stuck back in the time warp where I carried a small walkman tape player so I could practice copying code. :D

Jack Moroney

Razor
08-27-2004, 20:24
I also have an iRiver FP-190. Bought it for my wife a year ago in lieu of the Rio S30, and wasn't disappointed. I was very happy once the software upgrades came through to allow one to use Windows Media Player for handling files, rather than the iRiver proprietary software (can create playlists for fast swapping of music, etc). However, I'm pretty sure the iRiver players only deal in music files (no photo or e-mail file storage), so it won't work for what GS needs.

Desert Fox
08-27-2004, 20:25
What's an MP3 player?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=mp3+player&meta=
:D

bberkley
08-27-2004, 22:30
Originally posted by Razor
I also have an iRiver FP-190. Bought it for my wife a year ago in lieu of the Rio S30, and wasn't disappointed. I was very happy once the software upgrades came through to allow one to use Windows Media Player for handling files, rather than the iRiver proprietary software (can create playlists for fast swapping of music, etc). However, I'm pretty sure the iRiver players only deal in music files (no photo or e-mail file storage), so it won't work for what GS needs.

Razor,

The one I quoted above does everything GS needs according to their website.

Martin
08-28-2004, 01:35
Has anybody the Creative Muvo TX FM (512 mb)? I'm bouncing between the IRiver and the Muvo, with the second one being cheaper.

stanley_white
08-28-2004, 04:16
I just picked up my 40gb IPOD a week ago and let me tell you I don't know why I didn't buy one sooner.

To think I was still humping a gigantic binder full of half-scratched CDs on my last trip shocks me.

The IPOD is a compact, lightweight way to escape to your happy place. I highly recommend them.

Martin
08-28-2004, 07:02
Btw, if you'll be running a lot or jumping around, it's better to have an Compact Flash (CF), (IRiver iFP-xxx) based player than a harddrive one (IPod).

You have a max of 1 GB storage using CF, but since they have no moveable parts they are less likely to fail.

HTH

magician
08-28-2004, 10:15
I agree.

However, I doubt any of us would use an MP3 player if we were jumping around a lot, unless it were an aerobics class or something. It is not a problem to use an iPod when you run, or work out. It has a huge buffer. Likewise in a plane, or an automobile, etc. Mine has never skipped.

I also have a small memory stick that doubles as an MP3 player. I bought in Baghdad, for about $125. It holds 256k of data, whether files or MP3's. It is small enough to hang around my neck. It holds about 60 songs, I guess.

My iPod, on the other hand, holds my entire music library. All of it. Hundreds of CD's worth. I have my music library sorted and classified in iTunes on my Mac Titanium laptop, and the same organizational structure transferred over to my pod with no drama. The iPod is sealed, so dust has not been a problem. The primary downside that I see is cost. They are wicked expensive. I have been giving some thought to purchasing an AppleCare warranty for mine, for about $65, as mine is more indispensable to me than I ever thought possible. When I make that long visa run to Cambodia, the trip goes a lot faster if I have Sly and the Family Stone to keep me company. Likewise, when stuck in Bangkok traffic, I just tune it out, and chill.

It is an insanely good piece of kit.

Razor
08-28-2004, 10:26
bberkley, I might be reading it wrong, but it looks to me as the iFP-899 only supports WMA, ASF, OGG and MP3 file types, whereas GS wanted to also store JPEGs and e-mail files.

bberkley
08-28-2004, 11:15
Razor,

"Plus, this lightweight player can be used to store music or transfer files of any type."

I can get a definitive answer from a friend at iRiver if necessary.

Brian

Martin
08-28-2004, 11:57
Originally posted by magician
I agree.

However, I doubt any of us would use an MP3 player if we were jumping around a lot, unless it were an aerobics class or something. It is not a problem to use an iPod when you run, or work out. It has a huge buffer. Likewise in a plane, or an automobile, etc. Mine has never skipped.

I also have a small memory stick that doubles as an MP3 player. I bought in Baghdad, for about $125. It holds 256k of data, whether files or MP3's. It is small enough to hang around my neck. It holds about 60 songs, I guess.

My iPod, on the other hand, holds my entire music library. All of it. Hundreds of CD's worth. I have my music library sorted and classified in iTunes on my Mac Titanium laptop, and the same organizational structure transferred over to my pod with no drama. The iPod is sealed, so dust has not been a problem. The primary downside that I see is cost. They are wicked expensive. I have been giving some thought to purchasing an AppleCare warranty for mine, for about $65, as mine is more indispensable to me than I ever thought possible. When I make that long visa run to Cambodia, the trip goes a lot faster if I have Sly and the Family Stone to keep me company. Likewise, when stuck in Bangkok traffic, I just tune it out, and chill.

It is an insanely good piece of kit.

Very true. Though I need the microphone too (great for language studies) and have a lot of music in ogg. That and the smaller form factor made me pick the IRiver iFP-799 (today!).

The I-Pod seems like a very nice piece of kit.

I'd recommend that you get that AppleCare warranty, if not for anything else, then because the battery is internal and is something you'd have to hand over to Apple if it stops. Unless you're feeling a little McGyverish... There are some who did that for the Ipod-Mini, because it had some early quirks, but which are now worked out. They don't hold forever though.

Martin
08-28-2004, 11:59
Originally posted by Razor
bberkley, I might be reading it wrong, but it looks to me as the iFP-899 only supports WMA, ASF, OGG and MP3 file types, whereas GS wanted to also store JPEGs and e-mail files.

It can play those formats, but can store any.

http://www.compuadds.com/product.asp?prodcode=W-IFP799T

The Reaper
08-28-2004, 13:28
What's an MP3 player?

Rather than type this up all over again, this is from the iRiver web site.

The skip-free iFP-899 delivers superior sound in a sleek, sport-ready design. It features 1GB of internal memory for up to 34 hours of music, extended battery life up to 40 hours on one AA, a built-in FM tuner and voice recorder. It also records music from any audio source. Plus, this lightweight player can be used to store music or transfer files of any type. MSRP: $399.99

Special Offer: Listen to over 400 radio stations!

Plays MP3, WMA & OGG music files
1GB Internal Storage
Plays up to 34 hours of music
Transfers music up to 3X faster*
Skip-free and sport-ready
Record music from any audio source (no PC required)
FM Tuner & Recorder
Voice Recorder
Store or transfer any file type
Up to 40 hours of battery life

Comes with:
iFP-899 music player
iRiver earphones
Sport arm band and carrying case
Neck strap
Preloaded tracks from eMusic
USB 2.0 cable
Line-in cable
Installation CD (PC/Mac)
1 AA battery

Here is my older Gen iFP-190 next to a 12 gauge shell, the iFP899 is virtually the same size.

This stuff gets smaller and better every day.

TR

Razor
08-28-2004, 17:29
Ah, thanks for the clarification gentlemen. I was looking at file support under the specifications table and only saw the music files listed. RTFFP, right? :) Oh, I also realized I misposted the model player I own--its a iFP-390.

Air.177
09-22-2004, 12:29
Check this Out:
Oakley Thump (http://www.oakley.com/catalog/eyewear/thump/)

Had to have Lil John with the grill on the front for Guy :D

Hmmm, Wonder if I can find them for less than $400.....

Interesting.

Air.177
10-11-2005, 15:58
Highgear trail audio (http://www.highgear.com/)
I like the looks of these, and have read good reviews of them, but I would like to hear from someone who has one.

A friend of mine got an Ipod Nano and has been happy with it so far, but thats a bit rich for my blood.

Also, watching her with her earpieces in, blissfully unaware of her surroundings, leads me to believe that the growing trend among young people (All people actually) of listening to music or talking on a cell phone while trying to go about everyday activities is a recipie for disaster. This is a state of being more oblivious even than Jeff Cooper's "Condition White" If there was a color less distinctive than White, I would apply it here. The only segment of society I see benefitting from this trend are the muggers, rapists, and other predatory elements.

that being said, I want one, Not to walk around showing off, but to have for travel, and to listen to without distrubing others around me.

kgoerz
10-11-2005, 16:21
I have the 20GB IPOD and it will hold over 5000 songs. A lot cheaper then the 40GB. Plus it has all the attachments to plug into your cigarette lighter and play over your Car radio. All my CD'S have been boxed up and put away since getting an IPOD and loading all my legally appropriated music.......LOL.

Go For Broke
10-11-2005, 17:43
I would also recommend an external hard drive. Used it during deployments so I did not have to listen to the same songs over and over (Yes, it is possible to burn through 40 GB worth of songs). Was also good as a backup in case the SD card was damaged (Have used it for all types of MP3 players). While not a cheap investment (a little less than $1.00 / GB) , a decent one IMO as I was also able to keep the HD on my computer a little less cluttered. I had (still have) a great 160 GB Western Digital that I used, my only advice as to which to purchase would be to make sure that you get one that does not require a driver (WD and Firefly make some good ones for this purpose). Some are even actually powered solely off the USB.

In any case, it is just more memory / storage space available for you. In addition, you can usually burn assorted drivers (printers, ZIP drives, etc) to the external HD and key programs in case your main computer gives you the BSOD or ends up corrupted. Just my $0.02, hope it helps.

V/R,

jatx
10-11-2005, 18:23
I've had a 4GB iPod Nano for about three weeks now, and am very happy with it. It is really tiny - and light enough that I can run with it in my pocket without it even bouncing around much. Also, I encode my MP3s at a pretty high bit rate, and I still get ~24 hours worth of music on the device. The small color screen is bright enough to light up a dark room.

The only negatives in my mind are that (1) it has no FM tuner (unlike my old Samsung Yepp) and, (2) the jog wheel is very sensitive, so it's easy to blow your ears out if it gets brushed the wrong way. Definitely learn to use the lock switch.

Air.177
10-11-2005, 19:44
Thanks all for your responses

Good times,
Blake

Huey14
10-11-2005, 20:18
The obliviousness I've noticed too around Uni. When I've got my headphones in, I figure I have to make up the loss of that sense with another sense so I keep a good look around me.

I have a iPod shuffle. Nice and light which is good for excerising.

Smokin Joe
10-11-2005, 22:16
A couple weeks ago I picked up a 256 for www.sandisk.com . I use it for running and mt biking. Its really nice and lite. I also have 30gb napster mp3 player that is nice for travel but gets kind of bulky for running.

cback0220
10-13-2005, 09:23
I have the Dell 5GB, these are cheap have great battery and are very durable. They also come with great service and a good warranty. They are also available in 20 or 30 GB. My girlfriend actually traded her I Pod back to get one of these.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/dj?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

jbour13
10-13-2005, 09:34
I would also recommend an external hard drive. Used it during deployments so I did not have to listen to the same songs over and over (Yes, it is possible to burn through 40 GB worth of songs). Was also good as a backup in case the SD card was damaged (Have used it for all types of MP3 players). While not a cheap investment (a little less than $1.00 / GB) , a decent one IMO as I was also able to keep the HD on my computer a little less cluttered. I had (still have) a great 160 GB Western Digital that I used, my only advice as to which to purchase would be to make sure that you get one that does not require a driver (WD and Firefly make some good ones for this purpose). Some are even actually powered solely off the USB.

In any case, it is just more memory / storage space available for you. In addition, you can usually burn assorted drivers (printers, ZIP drives, etc) to the external HD and key programs in case your main computer gives you the BSOD or ends up corrupted. Just my $0.02, hope it helps.

V/R,

External drives are the bomb. I bought my first with the intent of storing large media files and music. My last computer had a critical system failure (water damage) and I learned that external drives could alleviate that problem by being wrapped in bags and stored. I extended the life of my computer by not cluttering it up. And I had ripped all my CD's prior to going into the sandbox and it paid off.

After reading this thread I think an IPOD is in my future.

Now...how to convince household 6? :D

Sten
10-13-2005, 10:14
The new nano (2 gig and 4 gig only) seems to be sort of indestructible.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nano.ars/3

External "AA" Battery pack for iPods:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Product_Id=148969

Most of the USB iPods will pick up a charge when plugged into a laptop with a powered USB port.

All apple wall chargers have a voltage regulator built in and are set up for international power converting, all you need to the correct plug.