PDA

View Full Version : Special Operations 'Fraying Around the Edges,' Commander Says

SouthernDZ
02-09-2011, 05:37
Special Operations 'Fraying Around the Edges,' Commander Says
By Karen Parrish
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Feb. 8, 2011 - Demand in Afghanistan for special operations forces is "insatiable," even as U.S. Special Operations Command increases its troop strength by a battalion a year, Socom's commander said today.

Speaking at the National Defense Industrial Association's 22nd Annual Special Operations and Low-intensity Conflict Symposium, Navy Adm. Eric T. Olson discussed the effect nearly a decade of war has had on the Defense Department's most elite warriors.

"As we have essentially doubled our force over the last nine years [and] tripled our budget over the last nine years, we have quadrupled our overseas deployments over the last nine years," Olson said.

"We are doing more with more, but the more we're doing it with doesn't match the more we've been asked to do," he said. "We are, frankly, beginning to show some fraying around the edges."

As Olson's 2010 Socom posture statement sets out, the command's mission covers combat, training and equipping indigenous forces, as well as synchronizing planning of global operations against terrorist networks.

The posture statement reads in part, "Special operations forces respond to the sound of guns with a combination of speed, discipline, and tenacity. They also apply their knowledge and experience well ahead of the sound of the guns to prevent violence from erupting whenever and wherever possible. These are warriors who can act swiftly with precision and lethality, yet remain simultaneously capable of building long-term relationships and trust with international partners."

Olson, a former Navy SEAL who has commanded Socom since 2007, said he doesn't pretend the demand for special operations forces will decrease over the next few years.

"We saw 100,000 American troops come out of Iraq; we only saw about 500 special operations [members] as part of that," he noted.

Special operations recruiting and training have ramped up since 2006, when that year's Quadrennial Defense Review directed increasing special operations forces by 15 percent and increase the number of Special Forces battalions by one-third.

The QDR also directed Socom to establish a Marine Corps Special Operations Command, while instructing the Air Force to create an unmanned aerial vehicle squadron under Socom. The Navy was instructed to increase SEAL team manning and develop a riverine warfare capability.

Finally, the QDR called for a 33 percent increase in psychological operations -- since renamed military information support -- and civil affairs units, and directed Army and Marine Corps ground forces to increase their capabilities and capacity to conduct irregular warfare missions.

Olson said that while Socom has worked to "grow the force" quickly, demand has grown faster.

"We grew a battalion in the 5th Special Forces Group in 2008, and it's deployed. We grew a battalion in 3rd Special Forces Group in 2009, and it's deployed," he said. "We grew a battalion in the 10th Special Forces Group, and it is preparing to deploy. Over the next two years, we'll grow battalions in 1st Group and 7th Group.

"We've been able to deploy 36 additional [operational detachments A, or "A-teams"]," he continued. "And frankly, if you're on a 1-to-1 deployment ratio, which is the very most that you can sustain ... as you grow 36 ODAs, you should deploy no more than 18. But the demand has gone up close to 50 in that time."

The special operations deployment ratio is off the charts, Olson said.

"The force has proven far more resilient than we predicted, [and] the families have proven far more resilient than we predicted," he said. "But like the rest of the force – not on the same scale, but like the rest of the force – we're seeing the indicators of pressure."

That pressure affects special operations troops on and off duty, Olson said, as well as their families.

"When I say we're taking measures to address it, we realize that there is no single solution to this," the admiral said. "It's a thousand different approaches that will ultimately relieve some of this pressure on the force: being more predictable in what it is we do, being more committed to the schedules that we present our people, presenting them with far fewer surprises over time, providing them additional training – as I said, particularly the families, so that they understand what resources are available to them."

Olson said the command has enhanced its Special Operations Care Coalition, which is a U.S. government organization funded and run by Special Operations Command to advocate for wounded, ill and injured special operations troops.
When he says the force is fraying, Olson explained, he means more mid-career special operations troops are choosing to leave service.

"Over half of our force now, about 60 percent, actually came in since 9/11. This is all they know, in their military service," the admiral said. "They were inspired by the events of 9/11, they've served their country, and now, eight or 10 years later, they are satisfied with what they did and feel like they were part of something important. But what seems good for eight or 10 years maybe doesn't seem as good looking ahead to 18 or 20 years."

But the force still is strong and capable, Olson said.

"They make me proud every day," he told the group. "The challenge now is to make sure that we still have, in five or 10 or 20 or 30 years, what we've become accustomed to now in terms of quality and sufficiency."

http://sharing.govdelivery.com/bulletins/GD/USDOD-1274D1

Richard
02-09-2011, 07:52
Interesting article.

"...psychological operations -- since renamed military information support..."

MIS - and a new acronym is born. :rolleyes:

And so it goes...

Richard :munchin

1stindoor
02-09-2011, 08:37
Interesting article.

And so it goes...

Military Information Support Operations...MISO.

Walk out my office door, turn left, walk about 10 meters...and all MISO doctrine you can stomach can be found.

Dusty
02-09-2011, 08:40

Walk out my office door, turn left, walk about 10 meters...and all MISO doctrine you can stomach can be found.

That's stuff genned up by Operators, right?

Dozer523
02-09-2011, 08:42
Interesting article.

And so it goes...

Richard :munchinfire is discovered again and re-named wheel.
well . . . in this case "matchstick is found and re-named . . . um . . . matchbox car wheel". The illusion of progress. :mad:

33% increase in "crazy relatives" and "polite relatives". And Ya'll Marines pump up da MARSOF. Yuck.

Richard
02-09-2011, 08:51
After reading the article again - and I know the OpTempo is high - but I also have to wonder how much of Olson's timing of this press release is designed to bring USSOCOM into focus just as the funding machine crowd gets ready to crunch the next batch of budget numbers...;)

And so it goes...

greenberetTFS
02-09-2011, 08:58
Interesting article.

MIS - and a new acronym is born.

And so it goes...

Boy o boy,just what I need,more acronyms for me to have to remember.......:rolleyes::eek:

Big Teddy :munchin

kollkash
02-09-2011, 11:19
Yahoo's version of this article (by AP) had an interesting headline linked to the article: "U.S. Special Forces Stressed, Frayed"

All too typical misidentification by the press. The actual Yahoo article (plagiarized by the AP) reads "US commander: Special operations forces stressed"

I've attached a screen shot of the Yahoo headline here:

ZonieDiver
02-09-2011, 12:51

Love their soup! :D

cszakolczai
02-09-2011, 12:55
seems like everyone was on this article... here's the WIRED version...

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/02/special-forces-could-use-a-breather-commander/#

"Most of us won’t ever know how hard the country’s Special Operations Forces have it, since elite troops largely work in the shadows. So when their commander, Adm. Eric Olson, says that they’re “fraying around the edges,” it’s a big deal. Only the demand for special operators will likely increase as general-purpose U.S. troops leave Iraq and Afghanistan.

Demand for elite forces — who do everything from hunting terrorists to training partner forces — has skyrocketed since 9/11, outstripping the big budget and manpower increases that Congress has authorized in the past decade. Overseas deployments have quadrupled. “We are doing more with more,” Olson told a conference in Washington yesterday, “but the more we’re doing it with doesn’t match the more we’ve been asked to do.”

Special operations forces are spending as much time deployed as they spend at home — typically a big no-no for planners — even as the Special Operations Command has overseen a growth in elite battalions. About 12,000 of them are currently deployed, out of a force of 60,000.

Perhaps most ominously, mid-career officers are starting to leave, especially as 9/11 recedes in the national memory. Olson estimates that 60 percent of current special operations forces joined after the terrorist attacks. Their departure risks leaving the military without its next generation of experienced leaders.

“They were inspired by the events of 9/11, they’ve served their country, and now, eight or 10 years later, they are satisfied with what they did and feel like they were part of something important,” Olson said. But what seems good for eight or 10 years maybe doesn’t seem as good looking ahead to 18 or 20 years.”

There are a variety of mitigating measures that the force is taking, like providing better wounded and veteran care, and presenting them with more “predictable” schedules, Olson said.

But it’s the demand that’s really the issue. And that’s not likely to drop, even as the shooting wars die down. Special operations forces are training Pakistani forces in counterinsurgency. The influential Center for a New American Security recently called for them to take the lead in a residual Afghanistan war after 2014. And the expansion of al-Qaeda networks in Somalia and Yemen adds another mission to the elite troops’ busy schedule. The era of big U.S. land wars might be on its way out, but that only puts more pressure on special forces to fill the security gaps.

On March 1, Olson will head to the Hill to defend his command’s next budget request. It’ll be an opportunity for lawmakers to figure out how to get special forces’ money and missions in sync. Same goes for when Olson leaves: his tenure atop Special Operations Command is set to expire this year. His successor will have to deal with a tired force that’s going to be asked to do a lot more in the coming years.

Photo: Special Operations Command"

The Reaper
02-09-2011, 13:28
Some units (and personnel) are more frayed than others.:rolleyes:

TR

Stras
02-09-2011, 14:24

TR

Our company loses 40% pax between now and sept...... try and rebuild that when there are 4 guys on the gains, and a seven on, seven off rotation for the ODB. trying to keep the bandaids on the sucking chest wounds is a daily occurence.

1stindoor
02-09-2011, 14:46

TR

Some of us are not...

1stindoor
02-09-2011, 15:44
I know the rapid expantion of CA has really degraded the quality of the units. The op tempo is high but there are other facters as well such as lack of the big army to utilize them to the full capabilites or even understan their mission. CA does not work when you send a bunch of infantry through terrizing the local populace then give CA a bunch of soccer balls to hand out and expect eveything to be OK. I wish I was exagerrating this but I know this exact thing has happend.

Maybe it has to do with the degraded language, grammer, and spelling abilities of the units.

That was soooooo uncalled for....and yet funny just the same.

Dusty
02-09-2011, 15:58
Maybe it has to do with the degraded language, grammer, and spelling abilities of the units.

That was soooooo uncalled for....and yet funny just the same.

You mean the fact that you mispelled grammar and used one too many commas? Who would possibly catch those mistakes?

Richard
02-09-2011, 16:07

...and used one too many commas? Who would possibly catch those mistakes?

Actually...the second comma mentioned may either be included or left out as either way is equally acceptable with today's writing style; it's simply a matter of preference.

Dusty
02-09-2011, 16:38
Actually...the second comma mentioned may either be included or left out as either way is equally acceptable with today's writing style; it's simply a matter of preference.

Actually, I misspelled mispelled, and you didn't catch it. I layed it up like a fried egg, and you missed it. Nanny Nanny Noo Noo!

Richard
02-09-2011, 16:51
Actually, I misspelled mispelled, and you didn't catch it. I layed it up like a fried egg, and you missed it. Nanny Nanny Noo Noo!

I was only commenting on the grammar...but...since you brought it up, actually - you didn't misspell 'mispelled'...you misspelled 'misspelled' by spelling it 'mispelled.' ;)

Dusty
02-09-2011, 18:10
I was only commenting on the grammar...but...since you brought it up, actually - you didn't misspell 'mispelled'...you misspelled 'misspelled' by spelling it 'mispelled.' ;)

If you were gonna catch me on grammar, you would have caught "layed" instead of "lay".

We can't keep doing this, Richard. You will never win.

And don't scour this post for mistakes; there ain't none...

Richard
02-09-2011, 18:39
I'm thinking there are definite reasons nobody here ever chose a career path to becoming an editor...besides it's much more fun to shoot one than to be one. ;)

Dusty
02-09-2011, 18:42
I'm thinking there are definite reasons nobody here ever chose a career path to becoming an editor...besides it's much more fun to shoot one than to be one. ;)

I'm not suicidal.

Surgicalcric
02-09-2011, 22:01
Interesting article.

[COLOR="lime"]MIS - and a new acronym is born...

Someone needed an OER/NCOER bullet this year... :D

Crip

Surgicalcric
02-09-2011, 22:09

TR

Indeed they are...

Some of which is the result of mismanagement of resources.

Crip

MtnGoat
02-09-2011, 22:50

But their called.. MIST

Yeah T is for TEAMs. At least that's what I was told and read in report starting back in 2008.

MtnGoat
02-09-2011, 23:20
I know the rapid expantion of CA has really degraded the quality of the units. The op tempo is high but there are other facters as well such as lack of the big army to utilize them to the full capabilites or even understan their mission. CA does not work when you send a bunch of infantry through terrizing the local populace then give CA a bunch of soccer balls to hand out and expect eveything to be OK. I wish I was exagerrating this but I know this exact thing has happend.
Troop numbers effect the edges. But the system is a bigger problem IMHO.

A bit off topic, but I think it ties into the Whole Fraying "issue".

I think Equipment or equipping the Force.

Seem to me to sound a lot like requesting stuff on a DSOR.

"XYZ" Rep ... No you cannot get that item becuase MTOE has you getting them soon.

SFODB/C - Well the SFODA needs them for this trip.

Rep - Well you can't buy it, them, etc

SO two years (+) later we still have yet to get items on a DSOR. Same story, different day.

Not a Bag a really on Higher.. it's Big Army and the System. SFODAs have weapons that a SARAC (sp) say are OK. But a 18 Bravo will tell them that a barrel is shot out. Deadline Weapons that go back to OEF/OIF rotations with, what I will call quick fix. Not to speak of weapons in the BOXES that SOF and CF are using.

Other problem is keeping good guys on Teams. No "good" bonuses don't keep these guys on an ODA and tying Bonuses to Language scores. Did anyone look at the overall language scores of SF Groups as a whole. I get the need or reason. I'm just saying, lets stair step this 2, 2 rating. IMHO it is to high. Groups have been running language programs under this for over 2 years, how many guys are getting 2,2 ratings outside of 7th Grp and maybe a few in 1st Grps.

For everyone getting ready to say, I don't want a guy or they don't need to stay if their looking for Money. I say - HELLO.. They came into the Army with a Lets Say $30K sign up bonus. But we can't give them a 6 year reenlistment bonus at that level or better?? No becuase someone at a higher level sees these guys leaving (IMHO) as not as a big problem. Because there is another 18X signing up to fill in his spot or boots.

Once again I say - HELLO.. The time it takes to RETRAIN this new SFQC grad to the level that "old" 18X (or In-service guy) was at when he left to do those overseas contracts or Civillian job period. Yeah that "OLD" 18X left with 18 Series MOS, SFARTEC, Long Course, specialty courses, ETC along with X number of Combat tours, but getting a new SFQC grad is ok, because his boots got filled on a manning 123 report.

IMHO USSOCOM or USASOC needs to get back the bonuses to these 6 yr to 12 yrs NCOs leaving SF and USSOCOM Units. I have yet to hear of anyone not getting a Bonus due to a Low Language score. But if true, lets stair step this requirement. I personally would want to keep my two 18Xs leaving with college degrees, BA, and other specialty courses with two Tours on my ODA. Learning curve is almost gone with them.

Richard
02-10-2011, 05:10
But their called...MIST. Yeah T is for TEAMs. At least that's what I was told and read in report starting back in 2008.

Mist means animal feces spread as fertilizer in German; appropriate?

As far as the SF NCO goes - we used to consider an NCO at the 5-8 year level in Group as having become 'qualified' within SF vs somebody having been 'assigned' to SF. The 2nd and 3rd term SF NCOs are, IMO and experience, critical to the success of the ODAs and the SF mission, and the guys we need to work hard at keeping.

And so it goes...

The Reaper
02-10-2011, 09:37
Another issue is that guys are being pulled off teams to go fill slots at the B Team, Batallion, Group, or even SWCS at the 3 year mark.

You tell a guy that he is losing his bonus and going to SWCS for a few years, that civilian job/school starts looking better.

TR

1stindoor
02-10-2011, 10:37
You mean the fact that you mispelled grammar and used one too many commas? Who would possibly catch those mistakes?

dammit...I'll give you the mispelled word...but the commas are good to go.

crap

Dusty
02-10-2011, 10:41
dammit...I'll give you the mispelled word...but the commas are good to go.

crap

Don't worry, Bro-Richard's got your back. (Although he can't spell nor grammatize to good hisself.)

1stindoor
02-10-2011, 10:55
Sometimes in my effort to be the one with the first smarta$$ comment, I miss the mark.

I've always believed if you can't laugh at yourself...someone else will.

Dusty
02-10-2011, 10:56
Sometimes in my effort to be the one with the first smarta$$ comment, I miss the mark.

I've always believed if you can't laugh at yourself...someone else will.

lol Trick is not too take anything without a muzzle velocity too seriously...

Dak
08-13-2011, 09:55

They can be easily identified by the beards they wear, "cool-guy patches", "non-issued boots", and other "cool-guy gear" that us 18 series guys aren't allowed to wear

37F5V
08-13-2011, 11:20
Wow... What is with all of the hating? The whole MISO name change debacle was a top-down driven event, SOCOM and above. Believe me when I say that my community wanted nothing to do with a term that does not accurately describe the mission. MISO? Get serious. MIST is another one of those terms (which helped drive the overall name change) that was contrived in order to make the whole idea of utilizing Psychological Operations within a host-nation and an embassy a bit more palatable to the DoS.

The big push to change our doctrine was made by a former Group commander who moved to SWCS and has since retired. I got my hands on a draft last year after it was sent out for review and promptly trashed it, as did many others. I am hoping that it gets disapproved as I see nothing wrong with our doctrine as it currently stands. Doctrine isn't rocket science and ours works just fine when applied correctly.

Finally as to the "non-standard" uniform stuff... All active component Tactical MISO/PSYOP folks out there are currently ISO SF, MARSOC, or SMU. The rule of thumb falls inline with imperative #1. Whatever the supported unit is wearing, to include non-standard items, as well as relaxed grooming standards is dictated by that supported unit. As a Company 1SG ISO 7th SFG, CJSOTF-A, my kids aligned with the SOTFs & ODAs dressed as the teams did, DCUs, beards, Merrells, etc. I and my HQ, being stuck in Bagram with the CJSOTF, wore standard issue ACU, boots, shave & and a haircut, yada yada.

Now as a SGM in Iraq co-located with 20th SFG I see the same deal. I'm doing my time in Mother Army and watching my peers do cheetah flips at the chow hall when 20th SFG folks walk in is a never ending source of amusement for me. The fat-ass support warrants and junior enlisted aren't doing them any favors.

The majority of the MISO/PSYOP kids doing the work just want to fit in and do a good job. For the most part they do. The 10% rule always applies across the board.

Not trying to poke any eyes, just trying to clarify.

Regards,

John