PDA

View Full Version : Special Operations Adventure Race

Golf1echo
02-06-2011, 14:29
Edit: Removed dates for the 2011 race to avoid any confusion... in Highlands, NC we will be putting on the 9th annual SOAR Adventure Races.
http://www.SOARHighlands.org

Sprint Race: Aprox. 35 miles of running, mt. biking, rappelling, paddling and basic navigation.

Elite Race: Aprox. 50 miles of running, mt. biking, rappelling, paddling, orienteering and special events.

Active Duty folks: 1/2 off registration

All proceeds benefit Special Operations Warrior Foundation
http://www.specialops.org

We put on other events leading up to the adventure race, see above link.
If you are curious about accommodations please call ahead, we have arrangements with several local hotels, plenty of camping and other. Army is always welcome at my place.

Big thanks to those of you that have participated in the past! Many thanks for your work and dedication!

The race takes place along the Eastern Continental Divide in and around Highlands NC, elevations 2500'-4600' in the Nantahalla Forest, very rough terrain, temperate rain forest and is a self supported race. While you must be a member of USARA a one day membership can be purchased for a nominal fee.

If you would like to participate and not race you are welcome, PM me to make those arrangements.

Our military racers have always done very well...

Golf1echo
06-03-2011, 06:17
Just a reminder about 1 week left. Highs have been in 80's, lows in the 50's and low 60's with about 30 % chance of afternoon rain. It looks like good SF participation this year, thank you.

Golf1echo
06-13-2011, 17:03
Debrief: In very difficult races this year Sterling Archer, AKA Someone else won over all in an excellent performance. We were honored with one of our Gold Star Members as Grand Marshal and bullet pens were enjoyed by all!! Frankly in all the years we have been doing this I have never seen sportsmanship like these racers. Special Force participations was the best we have ever enjoyed and as I understand we have now reached the $509,000.00 mark in contributions to the SOWF. Big thanks to everyone for making this years race such an inspiring one. Steve, my thoughts are with you for a speedy recovery!!! Brian I now sleep with one eye open. God bless you all! Stay strong and accurate.

The Reaper
06-13-2011, 17:57
Looking good, Jeff and D!

Hope to see Steve tomorrow.

TR

Tatonka316
06-13-2011, 18:56
Golf1echo - THANK you for not only putting on such a great event, but for making me and my dear wife so very welcome in your beautiful hometown!!! We had such a great time and WILL be back next year for sure! Thank everyone on the committee for me too!

TR - tell Steve I hope he is feeling better and looking forward to seeing him when "y'all" get back "home!":D

molon labe:lifter

Golf1echo
06-14-2011, 09:48
Tatonka316 It was our pleasure having both you and your wife here, we can't thank you enough for taking the time to come and be a part of the events. It humbles me to be a small part in helping the foundation. I certainly will tell the committee and thank you for your contributions! Best/Golf1echo

Golf1echo
04-07-2012, 09:00
Time to start thinking about the Races again for this year. Sprint Race aprox. 30-35 miles and an Elite Race aprox. 50 miles of running, mountain biking, rappelling and paddling with an addition of an orienteering section for the Elite Race will be held on June 9th 2012 with an afternoon/Evening, June 8th check in and orientation.

Check May issue of Blue Ridge Outdoors for up coming article.

The 10th annual races will be held in and around Highlands, NC. All proceeds raised go to the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. Highlands is located along the Easter Divide in the middle of the Nantahala National Forest at aprox. 4000'. We hope to see you there and make these tenth year races something to remember! Half off registration for active duty .
http://www.SOARHighlands.org
Call, e-mail or PM us or myself ( race Dir. ), there is good camping and we have some arraignments with local lodging for the race. Thank you...

Tatonka316
04-07-2012, 22:15
To paraphrase The Terminator ... I'll be back!!! Can't wait to see everyone again and I'll bring a "few pens" for the participants ... I know the guy that makes them:D

molon labe:lifter

Golf1echo
04-26-2012, 07:24
Jeff I see a nice section over at SOWF on you. Let me know if you need anything. I have a race poster for military folks if anyone needs some sent or wants to down load it to pass on please let me know, Thank you.
Best/ Golf1echo

GnSurfin
05-05-2012, 17:09
I recently registered for the elite race with a teammate from work. Passing the word along and trying to recruit more teams as well. Looking forward to a good weekend and some Rough Terrain!

Golf1echo
05-30-2012, 13:03
Look forward to seeing you up here. Covered a very nice section of the course today, it still needs some work but we will have it taken care of. Let me know if you need anything.

Golf1echo
06-05-2012, 12:27
Just received a big box of Mayflower RC Goodness for the race. I was pleasantly surprised by their kindness and support of our race and the Special Operations Warrior Foundation! Chest rigs, assault packs and t-shirts will now be part of the equation this year...Thank you for the support.

Sarski
06-05-2012, 16:31
Highlands is a neat place. For those of you familiar with it, I hiked Yellow Mountain (via Shortoff and one other whose name escapes me) up to the fire tower, ate 2 sandwhiches I packed, took some pictures, and back down just under 4 hours (I was short on time and hustling). I was in much better shape then. I was planning on hiking Whiteside, but Yellow Mountain is higher, so I chose it.

Another time I was visiting, I took a dip in the Chatooga, just beneath the Old Train Bridge. It was October, and the water was frigid to say the least.

Great expensive shopping ( I love the bookstore, and The Stone Lantern) antiquing if you have time, or if you are taking any family with you. I also highly recomend Nicks or On the Veranda for some great food and wine.

Highlands is rich in history, from street names being named after its residents, whose children and grandchildren and great grand children still live there, to certain species of plants being found only in Highlands, and Japan, to the Trail of Tears, Smokey Mountains and more.

Apologies if I sound like the Tourism Board of Highlands.;)

Those of you who have not been before are in for a gem of a treat.

Good luck with the race all!

EDIT: I took the longer trail up and down Yellow Mountain.

Golf1echo
06-07-2012, 06:23
Thank you for the well wishes!
That trail you took has its fair share of vertical, we ran the rappel on the cliff located on Short Off Mountain which was about a mile up on the right from the trail head one year. You would like Whitesides but it is more of a loop and lots of people find their way there but it has 1500' cliffs off of the backside. If ever back this way look me up as there are hundreds of miles of old trails,logging roads, etc... As you say lots of golfers and now Crockett players but they stay to their clubs and off the trails for the most part :)
Nick's has moved to an old house nearer to town center and the old location has been replaced by million dollar town homes, lots of changes...mostly good ones. We now have a pub " The Ugly Dog" and restaurants have bars in most now. Book store is gone unfortunately, I loved it too. Stone Lantern is still the same.

They say these are some of the oldest mountains in the world, if the depth of dark rich top soil is an indicator that is true. One expression I like and is basically true " If you leave town, ten minutes in any direction you go down 2000' in elevation". Yesterday afternoon/ evening I found that to be the case with 1200' cliffs off of the ridge line on Black Rock ( The Blue Escarpment runs through here along with the Eastern Continental Divide). You are correct about the rare plants and micro climates I saw several yesterday and more today. The Mountain Laurel, Flame Azalea, Gaylax and others are in full bloom now.

Sarski
06-07-2012, 22:17
Thanks for the invite to look you up next time I am there, Golf1echo.

I love the Indian myth that when one of the Indian God's was tired, he layed down to sleep on his back, and when he stood up, the outline of his body created the mountains.

I understand about the million dollar townhomes. The way I heard it was there was once a time when the residents were worried about the millionaires comming in and buying up all the land, and now the millionaires are worried about the billionaires comming in and buying all the land. There are some pristine golf courses to say the least.

Another neat thing about Highlands is that there are no big chains or franchises, except for the Ace Hardware, and more recently the Subway Sandwhich shop that opened up. For anything else you have to go to Franklin, Cashiers, or Dillard, but then again, when you're in Highlands, I can't think of why you would need to go anywhere else.;)

Thanks for the picture, I took some like that myself...seven mountain ranges.

I'm sure you will post them eventually, but I look forward to seeing some pictures of this weekends course/race.

Golf1echo
06-11-2012, 06:05
The 2012 races were great successes with the group moving through this course faster than any group has before. I want to thank the members of this forum who came and placed well. The Team winners from the Elite race were Sappers from the board as well as the second placed team and several others including the Elite Singles. I saw one of the gutsiest performances I have ever seen by an SF racer who finished all points and placed despite serious leg cramping. Another racer from one of the above teams refused med treatment from dehydration and cramping until after he made it over the finish line saying " you are interfering with my race".
This course had serious terrain with large elevation changes and fast paces. The weather was about as good as it gets with no lightening on the lake...which is always a good thing. I will post a few images that show how thick and step some of the terrain can be and one of the beautiful orienteering points. Tatonka it is always good to see you sir. Thank you again!!

Sarski your intel is up to date, "millionaires are worried about the billionaires" that is the motto at the Highlands Country Club.