PDA

View Full Version : FA or Infantry officer?

Aloring001
02-06-2011, 00:10
I am currently an ROTC cadet about to go to LDAC this summer and will soon have to make the critical decision of branching. I am stuck between Field Artillery and Infantry. I was curious to see if anyone had any insight as to which would better transition to SF. I would assume Infantry would, but we all know what happens when you assume.

Buffalobob
02-06-2011, 06:25
Jack Maroney and I had a conversation about this and while I did not agree with him, I did not continue to discuss my opinion being as he was far more knowledgeable about the subject than I.

You can go and search about three year or four years back.

greenberetTFS
02-06-2011, 06:40
Jack Maroney and I had a conversation about this and while I did not agree with him, I did not continue to discuss my opinion being as he was far more knowledgeable about the subject than I./quote/Buffalobob

No one I know had more moxie when it came to most military questions than Jack Maroney,he even forgot more about hockey than I'll ever know,that was for sure....He was one hell of a guy.......:D;):D

Big Teddy :munchin

Dusty
02-06-2011, 06:40
I am currently an ROTC cadet about to go to LDAC this summer and will soon have to make the critical decision of branching. I am stuck between Field Artillery and Infantry. I was curious to see if anyone had any insight as to which would better transition to SF. I would assume Infantry would, but we all know what happens when you assume.

I recommend wearing out the 'search' function on this forum before I even asked a single question.

The Reaper
02-06-2011, 09:40
This is why we need to stop new members from starting threads for a while.

Maybe someone will learn how to use the Search button or do some reading while they are waiting.

TR

Aloring001
02-06-2011, 21:58
I did use the search, but to little avail. A lot of what I found was not what I was looking for. I did come across Jack Moroney's "Building an 18A" thread and found it helpful, but unable to fully answer my question. I thought posting a thread would give me some solid feedback from those who know and have experience. I apologize if I did inconvience you. I will search longer and harder before asking a question.

Dozer523
02-06-2011, 22:42
I am currently an ROTC cadet <at SIUE> . . . decision of branching. I am stuck . . . Ask Major C to put you in touch with one of the SF soldiers he know. This particular guy will be happy to drink on your tab and tell stories. He happens to like the Stagger Inn very much (second choice is Laurie's).

Aloring001
02-06-2011, 22:46
Ask Major C to put you in touch with one of the SF soldiers he know. This particular guy will be happy to drink on your tab and tell stories. He happens to like the Stagger Inn very much (second choice is Laurie's).

Oddly enough, MAJ C was the one who first put the idea of SF in my head. Before I had always thought of it as an unattainable thing, but he talked to me about it and is always willing to help and made it seem more realistic and appealing. I will deffinitely talk to him more when he gets back from CLS next week.

Thanks

Richard
02-06-2011, 23:00
I saw officers come to SF from nearly all combat arms branches - individual ability, a positive attitude, common sense, and trainability were important qualifiers for overcoming most entry level shortcomings.

IMO - your basic branch should be the one in which you have the greatest aptitude and personal desire to serve as it will provide you the greatest chance to succeed and, if you find the SF option is out of reach, a branch in which you can offer the most for the overall good of the service.

Remember, you're considering entering a higher level of personal commitment and selflessness - your choice - just be honest with yourself and your country.

Richard :munchin

Aloring001
02-06-2011, 23:38
I reread the Stickys again and want to make known that I am not planning on being an 18A. I want to be an officer to lead soldiers, not look cool or impress people. SF is not my career "plan" but more of an interest and something I thought I would explore sooner rather than later. Positive and helpful feedback is appreciated and I will continue to read through posts and only ask questions when I cannot find the answers in previous threads.

Thanks to those who help.

Richard - Thanks for the heads up. I do plan to go into the branch I feel I would be happiest and most successful (success measure by the quality of my work, not the speed of promotion).

PRB
02-06-2011, 23:47
Leading is leading wherever you choose to do it.
Anyone on this site with an SF Tab will tell you Infantry is the way to go...there are only so many ways you can cock a cannon.
If you want a continual challange with the variables constantly changing then go Infantry.
I also suggest you check the asfab scores for the enlisted folks in both CMF's...might give you a clue as to your audience.

Utah Bob
02-14-2011, 09:14
I like blue.;)

Fonzy
02-14-2011, 12:41

Maybe someone will learn how to use the Search button or do some reading while they are waiting.

TR

Sir,

Maybe we could create a specific thread for SF related questions so it can at least be isolated? Maybe block it from the "new posts" search feature so it doesn't clog up the board. Maybe I just had a visit from the good idea fairy.

Sgt Fonzy

f50lrrp
02-14-2011, 12:51
Colonel Arthur "Bull" Simons was originally commissioned in the Field Artillary. It didn't hurt his career much!

Richard
02-14-2011, 14:19
Sir,

Maybe we could create a specific thread for SF related questions so it can at least be isolated? Maybe block it from the "new posts" search feature so it doesn't clog up the board. Maybe I just had a visit from the good idea fairy.

Sgt Fonzy

Maybe it should've been the reading comprehension fairy or the think about what you're doing before posting fairy! :rolleyes:

And what did you think this forum was?

Special Forces Questions
Ask your questions about Special Forces here. OPSEC Violaters will be hanged!

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95

And so it goes...

DRock310
02-22-2011, 12:48
I searched for any thread on the Field Artillery and Infantry branches as they relate to becoming an 18A but could find nothing. If anyone knows of some helpful threads on this topic and could direct my attention in that direction it would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Dusty
02-22-2011, 12:52
:confused:

The Reaper
02-22-2011, 13:04
I would wager that until you have searched the combinations of "ROTC", "Infantry", and "Branch", and read all of them, you have not done your homework.

And read "A Message to Garcia" while you are at it.

If you are a 13A, as you indicate, it would seem that your die is already cast.

TR

wet dog
02-22-2011, 14:27

TR

I propose a required reading list, and a 30 day probationary period. Before the "posting a thread switch" is flipped, one must also pass a written, (online test) with 80% or better score.

Sample Question:

What is the quickest way into Special Forces, (enlisted / NCO)?

A. Serve in Infantry, be it, Airborne, straight leg, Ranger Regiment or Airmobile.
B. Serve in Field Artillery, Signal, or QuarterMaster units.
C. Serve in the Medical Field.
D. Serve in Syops, Intell - Public Affairs, Legal.
E. Complete College with degree in Art History, or Women's Studies.
F. A, B and C
G. D and E only
H. All the above, with the exception of D (legal), or B (water treatment, quartmaster duties). We don't need lawyers or water, wait Davis could use a lawyer right now.
I. Go Navy first, but only as a machinist mate 3rd class diver.
J. None of the above, you can now buy SF tabs at the local Army Navy store.
K. Serve in a foreign army first, join the US Army to gain citizenship, brach transfer.
L. "__________________________". (write your own answer).
Strongly suggested text to read, "After much research, it is of my opinion that there are many ways into Special Forces. It is of my opinion, that if I serve well in all assignments, Special Forces will find me".

---------------BT----------------

What is the quickest way into Special Forces, (Officer)?

There is no answer, it's a Vegas CRAP shoot. The real question should read, "How do I stay on an ODA for more than 3 years?"

A. Get Selected
B. Attend "Q" course - either 18B, 18C, 18D, or 18E
C. Graduate "Q".
D. Get to first ODA quickly, serve well.
E. Attend NCO development courses.
F. Attend SSI courses when available.
G. Serve well in all assignments.
H. All the above.

-------------------

But that's just me.

Better yet, read all posts (the many 1000's) by the late Col.

------------BT -------------

As for our young ROTC prospect, I will add - regardless of branch, serve well in all assignments. If you have what we're looking for, we'll ask you.

1stindoor
02-22-2011, 15:22
As for our young ROTC prospect, I will add - regardless of branch, serve well in all assignments. If you have what we're looking for, we'll ask you.

Figures you'd give away the first answer right off the bat...some folks are just naturally altruistic.

Dozer523
02-22-2011, 21:10
Oddly enough, MAJ C was the one who first put the idea of SF in my head. That speaks highly of you.
I look forward to meeting you, unless I already have at Drill. (And if I have and you posted anyway . . . you got some 'splainin to do.)

DRock310
02-22-2011, 22:50
I would wager that until you have searched the combinations of "ROTC", "Infantry", and "Branch", and read all of them, you have not done your homework.

And read "A Message to Garcia" while you are at it.

If you are a 13A, as you indicate, it would seem that your die is already cast.

TR

Thanks for the tips. I already searched for "Infantry", "Field Artillery", and "Branch" though and couldn't find anything relevant. I did in fact find the "Message to Garcia" post, which has some awesome learning points for anyone.

The reason I asked my question is because I had already looked but to no avail. Maybe I'm just "search button" retarted with how I use it.

In any case, my question wasn't to find out what the quickest way to become SF is. I was wondering more on the usefullness of skillsets as it applies to the transition to 18A from say, Infantry as compared to other branches. Coming from an Infantry background of course would be ideal, but what would be the biggest hurdles for other branches making this transition as well as the expectations thereof? This is just FYSA. I'll see if I can overcome my search illiteracy in the meantime.

Dozer523
02-23-2011, 21:33
Thanks for the tips. Use pink when being sarcastic. I already searched for "Infantry", "Field Artillery", and "Branch" though and couldn't find anything relevant. So, you failed. I did in fact find the "Message to Garcia" post, which has some awesome learning points for anyone. Let's hope, including you.

The reason I asked my question is because I had already looked but to no avail. you already mentioned the failed part. Maybe I'm just "search button" retarted with how I use it. Maybe, whatever "retarted" is. And, on behalf of my niece and the family members of some here, I advise you "not go there". In any case, my question wasn't to find out what the quickest way to become SF is. Good cuz there is no quick way for an Officer to go SF I was wondering more on the usefullness of skillsets as it applies to the transition to 18A from say, Infantry as compared to other branches. That question was answered. Coming from an Infantry background of course would be ideal, COL Simmons and LTC Rowe, to name two, might disagreebut what would be the biggest hurdles for other branches making this transition as well as the expectations thereof? In your case your biggest hurdle will be your attitude.This is just FYSA. I'll see if I can overcome my search illiteracy in the meantime. Try working on the post illeracy, too. Humility is a good trait to have as an aspiring SF Officer.

DRock310
02-24-2011, 03:12
Humility is a good trait to have as an aspiring SF Officer.

Thanks for the input, though honestly I think you're reading too deeply into the post.

JJ_BPK
02-24-2011, 04:43
I think you're reading too deeply into the post.

It may have something to do with your wordsmithing... ;)

Dozer523
02-24-2011, 06:56
Thanks for the input, though honestly I think you're reading too deeply into the post.You are welcome. Thank you for your honesty. I may be reading to deeply; I take full responsibility for my actions, Lieutenant.

Richard
02-24-2011, 07:18
MOO - doesn't matter much what your Branch happens to be, however, as an Officer, knowing when to lead and when to follow is a highly desirable trait - and I would go so far as to say a 'critical' one for an 18A.

DRock310
02-24-2011, 08:28
You are welcome. Thank you for your honesty. I may be reading to deeply; I take full responsibility for my actions, Lieutenant.

I had already owned up to and took responsibility for my fault in not using the search function to it's fullest potential. If all you have after that is ripping apart my post based on grammatical errors and the like then I'm done here.

Should you have any further points you would like to discuss concerning this situation then I encourage you to PM me so we can handle it "offline," so to speak.

Dusty
02-24-2011, 09:00
I had already owned up to and took responsibility for my fault in not using the search function to it's fullest potential. If all you have after that is ripping apart my post based on grammatical errors and the like then I'm done here.

Should you have any further points you would like to discuss concerning this situation then I encourage you to PM me so we can handle it "offline," so to speak.

Well, you've certainly got off to a splendid start. Wonder why that is? Because Dozer523 doesn't know what he's doing?

Nah.

If you wanna PM anybody about your inability to play well with others on this post, why don't you PM a mod?

DRock310
02-24-2011, 09:08
Well, you've certainly got off to a splendid start. Wonder why that is? Because Dozer523 doesn't know what he's doing?

Nah.

If you wanna PM anybody about your inability to play well with others on this post, why don't you PM a mod?

I have no qualms with anyone on here, and am not looking to make things worse. If I started things off on the wrong foot then I extend my apologies and I'll be sure to heed the advice given.

Dusty
02-24-2011, 09:10
I have no qualms with anyone on here, and am not looking to make things worse. If I started things off on the wrong foot then I extend my apologies and I'll be sure to heed the advice given.

:lifter

LongWire
02-24-2011, 10:06

I would advise re-reading these threads, and complying with them.

http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474
http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3452

We can see your sarcasm and raise you by going "all in". I sincerely hope that it doesn't need to go that way.

We like a clean and clutter free team room, and right now you are making a mess and noise in our hallway. :D

You came here seeking answers, but you are expected to do your research and be able to elaborate on your position and how you came to your decision/COA. Sorry for not just spoon feeding you answers.....my 10yr old is learning this point as well. :)

Welcome, hope your search is fruitful.

DRock310
02-24-2011, 10:35
We can see your sarcasm and raise you by going "all in".

Thanks for the info. And for the record nothing I have said thus far has been sarcastic. It doesn't usually work too well in text format.

Dozer523
02-24-2011, 17:38

Should you have any further points you would like to discuss concerning this situation then I encourage you to PM me so we can handle it "offline," so to speak. Is it my turn, AGAIN?

As for your spelling error I ripped you for your derogatory choice of words.
As for PM-ing, I answered yours. Take it or leave it. but, I'm not planning on adopting you, nor do I want a pen-pal.

We can see your sarcasm and raise you by going "all in". I sincerely hope that it doesn't need to go that way.
We like a clean and clutter free team room, and right now you are making a mess and noise in our hallway. :D I say lets let him off as long as he doesn't post on this thread again.

Razor
03-01-2011, 10:04
Of course, this question could very well be moot unless he's at or near the top of his ROTC battalion, as he may end up getting branched Finance or Transpo regardless of his choices.

Buffalobob
03-01-2011, 12:30
f course, this question could very well be moot unless he's at or near the top of his ROTC battalion, as he may end up getting branched Finance or Transpo regardless of his choices.

That is an interesting commentary on how the world has changed since the days of RVN.

Couple of old school thoughts.

Respect is earned. When everyone else in the team room has a CIB and more they will all look all look at the empty space above your left shirt pocket and then look to the TS for how he is going to react.

When two or three of them getting to laughing and joking about getting shrapnel from 105s from high angle fire and one guy pulls up his shirt sleeve to show the scar, what are you going to say. (One of the things nobody tells you is that shrapnel is hot so don't be picking it up with your bare hands after it bounces off you. They won't give you a purple heart for having a cut shirt and burned fingers) :D

hotshot
03-01-2011, 15:30
That is an interesting commentary on how the world has changed since the days of RVN.

Couple of old school thoughts.

Respect is earned. When everyone else in the team room has a CIB and more they will all look all look at the empty space above your left shirt pocket and then look to the TS for how he is going to react.

When two or three of them getting to laughing and joking about getting shrapnel from 105s from high angle fire and one guy pulls up his shirt sleeve to show the scar, what are you going to say. (One of the things nobody tells you is that shrapnel is hot so don't be picking it up with your bare hands after it bounces off you. They won't give you a purple heart for having a cut shirt and burned fingers) :D

I know personally of atleast 2 new CPT's to Group that arrived overseas (Afghanistan) and were previously CSS Branches. They were sent out with teams that almost always took contact leaving Kandahar, just to get their CIB's. Then returned to the SOTF to be further assigned to ODA's without CPTs'.

Most guys on teams now have 4-8 Tours.

V/R,

CH