PDA

View Full Version : Best Soul Food Restaurants

Roguish Lawyer
08-26-2004, 05:00
Inspired by the fact that Guy is on the board at 4 am!

In Los Angeles: Aunt Kizzy's Back Porch in Marina del Rey, Stevie's on the Strip on Crenshaw

In Birmingham: Niki's West

How about some other good ones?

:munchin

NousDefionsDoc
08-26-2004, 11:46
What is soul food?

Guy
08-26-2004, 11:47
Does Popeyes fried chicken count?

Trying to get soul food in N. CA is like trying to get...chittlins in Baghdad.:D

Roguish Lawyer
08-26-2004, 12:02
Originally posted by Guy
Does Popeyes fried chicken count?

Trying to get soul food in N. CA is like trying to get...chittlins in Baghdad.:D

No, but I LOVE Popeye's Fried Chicken! They have great red beans and rice.

I'm activating a cell in your AO to locate what you need.

Air.177
08-26-2004, 12:05
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
I'm activating a cell...

LMAO!!

Listen to him, RL: Restaurant critic Overlord.

He knows people, who know people, who Know EVERYTHING

Good Times
:D

Guy
08-26-2004, 12:21
Popeye's out here are a pain in the ass. If I don't want side orders why do have to take them?

I took my side orders and gave them to this home-less guy holding a sign down the street.:lifter

Roguish Lawyer
08-26-2004, 13:56
Auxiliaries recommend the following:

Southern Café on MacArthur in the Diamond District (not far from the lake)

Sweetie Pie and Poppy on Martin Luther King Way & 54th

Guy
09-07-2004, 08:16
Auxiliaries recommend the following:

Sweetie Pie and Poppy on Martin Luther King Way & 54th

I have yet...been to a place named after MLK that was safe. :eek:

Sigaba
02-21-2011, 19:35
I'm bumping this thread because some of the serious discussions are getting mighty serious.

We can't break bread to ease some of the tension, we sure can talk about food.

MOO, it's hard to beat Aunt Kizzy's, but Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles should be in the mix of any discussion about soul food.

As for Popeye's-- IMO, it falls into a category unto itself.

alelks
02-21-2011, 19:49
Mary Mac's Tea Room in Atlanta, GA.

Click Me (http://www.marymacs.com/)

The Reaper
02-21-2011, 20:12
My Grandma's house.

TR

mojaveman
02-21-2011, 21:00
Is Chason's still in the Fayetteville area? They had a traditional southern fried menu to include soul food dishes. Ate there many times back in the day and will do so again if I ever go back. It's hard to find places like that on the West Coast. Agree with some of the others that the best soul food restaurants over here are in the Los Angeles area.

For fast food I actually prefer Popeyes over Kentucky Fried Chicken or Church's.

alelks
02-21-2011, 21:16
Is Chason's still in the Fayetteville area? They had a traditional southern fried menu to include many soul food dishes. Ate many times there and will again if I ever go back. It's hard to find places like that on the West Coast. Agree with some of the others that the best soul food restaurants over here are in the Los Angeles area.

For fast food I actually prefer Popeyes over Kentucky Fried Chicken or Churches.

Oh yea, it's still there. I never knew it was there until a few months ago and it's GREAT food for sure. The original Chason's was awesome.

The Reaper
02-21-2011, 22:24
Oh yea, it's still there. I never knew it was there until a few months ago and it's GREAT food for sure. The original Chason's was awesome.

Fred died many years ago.

The current restaurant is run by his Grandsons, IIRC.

TR

uplink5
02-21-2011, 22:39
Fred died many years ago.

The current restaurant is run by his Grandsons, IIRC.

TR

Where is the new one? I only knew of the one in Lumber Bridge that burned down some years back. I'm out here in Pinebluff but when I'm in Fayetteville, it would sure be nice to hit Chasons again....jd

x SF med
02-22-2011, 10:04
There used to be a place in lower Harlem in NYC called "Soul Kitchen" I think there is a new one in Brooklyn now. The original was excellent.

Does my Mom's Fried Chicken, Ham-Hocks and black eyed peas, beef tongue, mashed potatoes, etc. count?

Roguish Lawyer
02-22-2011, 10:12
Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles should be in the mix of any discussion about soul food.

Agreed. I'll also add M&M, which has several locations including Crenshaw near Rodeo.

akv
02-22-2011, 10:19
Durham- Q-Shack

Oakland, CA - Soul Brothers Kitchen or Brown Sugar

greenberetTFS
02-22-2011, 10:33
Aunt Rose's Soul Food House in Mississippi is excellent and there is one in Los Angles "RK" ....:D Worth going to if you are ever in that area.....:D

Big Teddy :munchin

mark46th
02-23-2011, 09:24
Rogue- In the LA area, Roscoe's Fried Chicken and Waffles.

Richard
02-23-2011, 09:40
Boononono's - Aruba.

Dusty
02-23-2011, 10:11
What is soul food?

It's food traditionally prepared and eaten by Southern African-Americans and seemingly adored by hip European-Americans.

Defend
02-24-2011, 21:50
Sigba,

I have to say I don't think I've ever had any true soul food. I'll have to try Chason's next time I'm at Bragg.

Does minority food in other parts of the world count? Because I love monkey meat when prepared by hill tribes:D

-out

alelks
02-24-2011, 22:11
Where is the new one? I only knew of the one in Lumber Bridge that burned down some years back. I'm out here in Pinebluff but when I'm in Fayetteville, it would sure be nice to hit Chasons again....jd

It's on Hope Mills Road out by exit 41 off I 95. After you pass over 301 coming from Hope Mills you'll see Chason's Grandsons about 1/8 of a mile up on the left just prior to going over I 95/Exit 41.

uplink5
02-24-2011, 23:32
It's on Hope Mills Road out by exit 41 off I 95. After you pass over 301 coming from Hope Mills you'll see Chason's Grandsons about 1/8 of a mile up on the left just prior to going over I 95/Exit 41.

Great....I just loaded it into the brain I keep in my pocket (Iphone). Tuesday we'll have a gluttonous lunch. :D

Thanks.....jd

ApacheIP
02-26-2011, 09:25
Mama Dip's - Chapel Hill

219seminole
03-02-2011, 23:45
Corn bread, collards, ham, fried chicken, sweet potatoes, black eyed peas, and fried fish...this is the food I ate growing up in Gulfport, MS. Add shrimp po'boys and gumbo and we have a well balanced diet.

If you ever go through Chattanooga, try Bea's. All you can eat.