PDA

View Full Version : Assault Weapon Ban

Max_Tab
08-25-2004, 19:08
Found this good site with a lot of information plus a little countdown clock as I'm typing this there is currently 18 day's 2 hours 49 min 53 sec's until it is gone. :D

Anyway's here is the site Assault weapon ban (http://www.awbansunset.com/)

Does anyone who has been following it closely have any more information on what congress is doing with regards to this ban. I'm hoping to get myself a nice new cheap M-4 style rifle when I return from this trip.

Air.177
08-26-2004, 10:50
To the best of my knowledge, nothing has been done regarding renewal of this law. That being said, I would not put it past the powers that be to sneak something in at the last minute or find some other way to extend or even Broaden the Ban. Much like the "Firearm Owners Protection Act" of 1986 that did Sooo many wonderful helpful things for gun owners:rolleyes:
Just my.02, and it's probably worth less than that.

bberkley
08-26-2004, 11:29
Congress will have less than 1 week to get any legislation re-authorizing the ban through both the HOUSE & SENATE before this abomination of a law sunsets.

While there may be a snowball's chance in hell that the Senate "could" pass legislation to reauthorize the ban, it will never see the floor of the House for a vote. Period.

It is dead. For now.

Adam White
08-26-2004, 14:00
I seem to remember reading that the Senate already passed an extension this spring - and that is just had to get through the House (which I agree is unlikely). Now you folks are going to make me do some research.

bberkley
08-26-2004, 15:24
Originally posted by Adam White
I seem to remember reading that the Senate already passed an extension this spring - and that is just had to get through the House (which I agree is unlikely). Now you folks are going to make me do some research.

This spring the Gun Manufacturer's Lawsuit Immunity Bill was debated in the Senate (a clean version had already passed the House). Kerry and Edwards returned from the campaign trail to vote on this issue , and Feinstein, Schumer, et. al. got an amendment attached to the Immunity Bill to reauthorize the AWB. When a final vote was taken, the supporters of the immunity bill scuttled it by a margin of 92-8 or something along those lines rather than allow a tainted bill to pass.

A pretty clear line in the sand has been drawn re: gun control. I think the vote in support of Feinstein's amendment exposed those that would curtail our rights.