PDA

View Full Version : VA Senate Bill 850- Freedom to hunt on Sundays

abc_123
01-28-2011, 17:56
Residents of Virginia

A bill to strike down the ban on Sunday huntin in Virginia is going before the Virginia Senate Agriculture and Natural Resources Committe on Monday, 31 January 2011.

If you want to contact committee members to weigh in, the list of committe members is below:

Chair: Patricia Ticer - (804) 698-7530

Senators:
Mary Margaret Whipple - (804) 698-7531
Emmett Hanger - (804) 698-7524
John Watkins - (804) 698-7510
WM. Roscoe Reynolds - (804) 698-7520
Phillip Puckett - (804) 698-7538
Frank Ruff - (804) 698-7515
Harry Blevins - (804) 698-7514
Mark Obenshain - (804) 698-7526
Ryan McDougle - (804) 698-7504
Donald McEachin - (804) 698-7509
Chap Petersen - (804) 698-7534
Ralph Northam - (804) 698-7506
Richard Stuart - (804) 698-7528
David Marsden - (804) 698-7537

The link to the committe is below

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?111+com+s1

Finally if you want to contact your senator and don't know who he or she is, you can find out here:

http://conview.state.va.us/whosmy.nsf/main?openform

My $0.02 is that on the one day of the week that I and my boys can go hunting in the fall, I should be able to do so. Why don't I have the right to do so? Especially on my own land? With my work and their fall sports I have to pull them out of school and take leave to get them in the woods hunting. That's wrong in my book.

Buffalobob
01-28-2011, 20:04
With my work and their fall sports I have to pull them out of school and take leave to get them in the woods hunting.

The choice between soccer and hunting and hunting and school was always a losing proposition for hunting.

Maryland made a feeble attempt and added a Sunday here and there on private land but I hunt public land so it meant nothing to me.

In a time of reduced budgets they should do everything they can to increase the revenue from hunting licenses by providing more opportunities.

badshot
01-29-2011, 00:57
Guess they missed the part about 'separation of church and state' somewhere along the way...

I hope you all get that crap repealed...

craigepo
01-29-2011, 06:31
I was not aware that Virginia still had laws like this. When I was a kid growing up in Missouri, the only stores that could be open on Sundays in some places were "necessity" stores. Today, about the only thing that can't happen on a Sunday is car sales.

Dusty
01-29-2011, 06:43
Guess they missed the part about 'separation of church and state' somewhere along the way...

I hope you all get that crap repealed...

Can you show me where "separation of church and state" is mentioned in any of the founding documents? (Or any legislation?)

In the state in which I currently abide but renounce as my birthplace due to incredibly stupid porcine-based sports shenanigans, you can hunt seven days a week.

I personally do not hunt on Sundays, because the prey deserves a rest.

Buffalobob
01-29-2011, 06:54
I was not aware that Virginia still had laws like this.

Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, West Va, all have this law so there is no state within driving distance that I could hunt. South Carolina has the same restriction.

Now that I am retired I seldom hunt on Saturday and instead hunt weekdays to avoid the crowds.

badshot
01-29-2011, 11:42
I do to Buffalobob, Tuesday through Thursday's are the best. I have found them to be less stressed on these days.

Hey Dusty, thanks for the helpful and informative comment...

No the statement is not any legislation I'm aware of either. Good thing too since our country's most important documents would be two thousand pages. Unlike today, the founding fathers choose their words carefully.

Intent of the law is what any Legislative body, Judge, etc. is supposed to be governed by as well as frame laws on. May I refer you to the writings of James Madison, the principal drafter of the United States Bill of Rights:

"Because if Religion be exempt from the authority of the Society at large, still less can it be subject to that of the Legislative Body."

Or Thomas Jefferson's writings in 1802:

"I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State."

Further reading also firmly establishes this concept and intent.

My sabbath days are Tuesday through Thursday, as pointed out earlier. Sometimes Friday, occasionally Saturday, every so often Monday, and from time to time on Sunday.

Dusty
01-29-2011, 11:59
I do to Buffalobob, Tuesday through Thursday's are the best. I have found them to be less stressed on these days.

Or Thomas Jefferson's writings in 1802:

"I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State."

That refers to a contextually similar comment made by Roger Williams which somehow evolved into the phrasing you used, and has nothing to do with state legislation, IMO.

I personally don't care one way or the other whether people hunt on Sundays; it's the fictitious clause "separation of Church and State" that's bogus to me.

badshot
01-29-2011, 12:13
Fair enough...

Was hoping for one of your funny youtube video posts...

Sohei
01-29-2011, 12:38
I was unaware that there were states that placed those restrictions on hunting. I live in the "Sportsman's Paradise" and we have always hunted seven days a week. People down here would lose their minds if they couldn't hunt on Sundays, or any day for that matter.;)

abc_123
01-29-2011, 13:33
I was unaware that there were states that placed those restrictions on hunting. I live in the "Sportsman's Paradise" and we have always hunted seven days a week. People down here would lose their minds if they couldn't hunt on Sundays, or any day for that matter.;)

I think there are 11 with sunday hunting bans or severe restrictions:

CT / DE / ME / MD / MA / NJ / NC / PA / SC / VA / WV

Dusty
01-29-2011, 13:38
Fair enough...

Was hoping for one of your funny youtube video posts...

Say no more...and watch the whole thing. Coupla Sunday hunters out here in Arkansas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbYTY7eBVRs

badshot
01-29-2011, 17:11
Good one man...Thanks :D

kgoerz
01-29-2011, 18:47
I can't believe old Church laws are still used today. Think how great this world would have been without religion to muck everything up.

Dusty
01-29-2011, 20:16
I can't believe old Church laws are still used today. Think how great this world would have been without religion to muck everything up.

Why blame religion when it was Eve who started all the trouble?

FMF DOC
02-03-2011, 07:30
Wish PA would start something like this

hydrashok
02-03-2011, 07:36
Unfortunately, this was shot down yet again.