PDA

View Full Version : Underwater Knife Fighting

exsquid
01-28-2011, 07:52
I can not recall how many times I have heard some one say in jest that they are either waiting to go to, or had the best time at "Underwater Knife Fighting School." Never really knew where that outrageous idea came from, well now I think I do. While doing some research on an unrelated topic, I came across a .pdf of the very first Soldier of Fortune magazine and right there on pg. 50 is the article "Underwater Knife Fighting Techniques," by David E. Steele. You got to love the 70s.

x/S

Sohei
01-28-2011, 08:07
I can not recall how many times I have heard some one say in jest that they are either waiting to go to, or had the best time at "Underwater Knife Fighting School." Never really knew where that outrageous idea came from, well now I think I do. While doing some research on an unrelated topic, I came across a .pdf of the very first Soldier of Fortune magazine and right there on pg. 50 is the article "Underwater Knife Fighting Techniques," by David E. Steele. You got to love the 70s.

x/S

I have to say, when I first saw the post title, I thought, "Where there is a will, there is a way" and I figured someone had found a new type of "warfare" training for the modern warrior. Then after reading it, I thought someone may have a new "Modern Warrior Aerobics" type of training. ;) :D

wet dog
01-28-2011, 08:16
When I first saw the thread title, I tought a new thread had been started by a new poster, whom TR is about to have for breakfast.

When I learned, 0.5 sec later, that my brother (x/s) probably considered the Comedy Zone, my only question now is, who has gone or who went to the last hard class?

The 70's were cool when spies wore Michael Brady shirts and carried weather PPKs.

Team Sergeant
01-28-2011, 08:31
Wolfgang Hammersmith might have gone to that school..Underwater Knife Fighting Techniques, and the "Handgun Techniques in Free Fall" course.

I'm surprised we've not been asked about our ability to shoot while under canopy. :munchin

Dozer523
01-28-2011, 08:44
Never saw James Bond Thunderball?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3i9pXF0oQ8&feature=related
ZonieDiver is the one who figures out the proper TTP cutting the air hoses.

craigepo
01-28-2011, 09:02
Actually, the "underwater knife fighting school" was a drunken SF joke, initiated by an old team sergeant of mine. The pictures were of him and another guy. Short story if I recall correctly: Soldier of Fortune writer wanted to do a story about cool-guy killin' shit. My old team sergeant (now deceased) and some other team guys fill him absolutely full of shit, and even grab scuba gear and jump into the pool for photos. Of course, the article and photos show up in Soldier of Fortune soon thereafter.

Forgive me if a few details are off; I listened to the story quite a few years ago, sitting around a fire and passing a flask.

Richard
01-28-2011, 09:06
Steele must've grown up watching Sea Hunt - Mike Nelson (the TV character, not the Scuba-gawd surfer lookin' dude I knew of 10th SFG fame) was in some type of underwater knife or spear-gun duel every week.

Richard :munchin

wet dog
01-28-2011, 09:17
Actually, the "underwater knife fighting school" was a drunken SF joke, initiated by an old team sergeant of mine. The pictures were of him and another guy. Short story if I recall correctly: Soldier of Fortune writer wanted to do a story about cool-guy killin' shit. My old team sergeant (now deceased) and some other team guys fill him absolutely full of shit, and even grab scuba gear and jump into the pool for photos. Of course, the article and photos show up in Soldier of Fortune soon thereafter.

Forgive me if a few details are off; I listened to the story quite a few years ago, sitting around a fire and passing a flask.

That same story was re-printed in the magazine "Gung-Ho" about 1983.

ZonieDiver
01-28-2011, 10:57
Never saw James Bond Thunderball?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3i9pXF0oQ8&feature=related
ZonieDiver is the one who figures out the proper TTP cutting the air hoses.

Steele must've grown up watching Sea Hunt - Mike Nelson (the TV character, not the Scuba-gawd surfer lookin' dude I knew of 10th SFG fame) was in some type of underwater knife or spear-gun duel every week.

Years ago, I was almost done with said TTPs, after hours and hours of exhaustive study of Mike Nelson on old "Sea Hunt" episodes (still have 'em!). Then... to my dismay... that damned single hose regulator came on the scene. They are a bitch to cut! :D

Dusty
01-28-2011, 12:10
We always practiced our UKF techniques on dry land in tanks and dive masks, weight belts and fins when we couldn't get the pool, but we'd do the moves in slow motion.

Bill Harsey
01-28-2011, 12:29
You all are full of surprises. ;)

I can honestly say I've never heard of the "underwater knife fighting school" until now.

wet dog
01-28-2011, 12:30
We did dry land rehearsals also because blood in pool makes for longer days.

Dusty
01-28-2011, 12:45

I can honestly say I've never heard of the "underwater knife fighting school" until now.

Stay tuned to Discovery, Bro.

Dozer523
01-28-2011, 12:54

Well, get busy. We need an official Bill Harsey Underwater Fighting Knife. Make sure they have serial numbers and a cool logo.

Team Sergeant
01-28-2011, 13:30
Well, get busy. We need an official Bill Harsey Underwater Fighting Knife. Make sure they have serial numbers and a cool logo.

Brilliant!

Richard
01-28-2011, 13:44
I still have my USN issue UDT knife on my old STABO harness belt. May not be as good as a Harsey original...but it's certainly a HELL of a lot cheaper! ;)

Roguish Lawyer
01-28-2011, 14:08
No one knife-fights underwater like Bond, James Bond.

MVP
01-28-2011, 14:19
I believe the UFK will or should incorporate a capability to fire a 12ga round for shark deterence. Perhaps also the hollow handle so it can be rigged as a spear and of course saw teeth (they need not be functional, just for the cool factor).

MVP

wet dog
01-28-2011, 21:32
No one knife-fights underwater like Bond, James Bond.

except Charlie Sheen maybe?

ZonieDiver
01-28-2011, 21:50
except Charlie Sheen maybe?

I hear there is no one who does a LOT of things quite like Charlie Sheen! :D

kgoerz
01-29-2011, 07:19
It's actually called Underwater APACHE knife fighting school:D

exsquid
01-29-2011, 08:16
When I get back to the office I can post the names of the two SF guys credited in the article.

x/S

Blitzzz (RIP)
01-29-2011, 10:13

Great, maybe they could be Blue tinted Ceramic blades..with positive Buoyant handles,and Oyster opener on the pommel...

Dozer523
01-29-2011, 10:16
Great, maybe they could be Blue tinted Ceramic blades..with positive Buoyant handles,and Oyster opener on the pommel...:cool:Yeah.

and a lanyard

and a depth finder

and make it magnetic -- so it sticks to subs.:D

Dusty
01-29-2011, 10:17
Great, maybe they could be Blue tinted Ceramic blades..with positive Buoyant handles,and Oyster opener on the pommel...

No snark intended, but if this is gonna be an Apache-style UKF knife, how are we supposed to be able to throw it if it has buoyant handles?

Blitzzz (RIP)
01-29-2011, 10:39
No snark intended, but if this is gonna be an Apache-style UKF knife, how are we supposed to be able to throw it if it has buoyant handles?

No Snark taken. One of my teams rules of thumb, was throw your biggest knife last.

After throwing your last knife you are no longer in a knife fight.
.....or handle could be detachable, and slide off of the Tang for better UKF throwing tactics...

Oh, the options, or even spring loaded like the Spednatz knife.

Noslack71
01-29-2011, 17:15
You Gents are too much! With all of the attention your UFK school is bound to draw, I fear it will completely overshadow the patent I am working on for the Clan Hoveround Tactical mobility survelliance vehicle.

Best Regards

Noslack

wet dog
01-29-2011, 17:27
:cool:Yeah.

and a lanyard

and a depth finder

and make it magnetic -- so it sticks to subs.:D

and a blasting cap crimp tool

perdurabo
01-29-2011, 18:24
I'm surprised we've not been asked about our ability to shoot while under canopy. :munchin

What caliber is best for the underwater sniper? :lifter

Hooligan
01-29-2011, 18:29
It's actually called Underwater APACHE knife fighting school

How about

S-Submerged
N-Night
A-Assault
F-Fighting
U-Underwater

School? Put enough bells and whistles on a PPT presentation and outline it as a 5 week course, someplace warm in the tropics...max per diem.:munchin

Sohei
01-29-2011, 18:44
How about

S-Submerged
N-Night
A-Assault
F-Fighting
U-Underwater

School? Put enough bells and whistles on a PPT presentation and outline it as a 5 week course, someplace warm in the tropics...max per diem.:munchin

Hooligan,

That is pure genius. :) I guarantee you could sell that within weeks. Just think of some of the courses that are out there right now and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that one would sell.:D Not to mention the fact that that snappy name would certainly get attention.

Team Sergeant
01-29-2011, 19:25
What caliber is best for the underwater sniper? :lifter

I'm not "Combat Diver" qualified, I am Military Free Fall (MFF) qualified. We "snipe" from 20,000 "above" sea level.

I could tell you the sniper rifle we use in Free Fall, but, well, you know the rest.....

Dozer523
01-29-2011, 22:52
I could tell you the sniper rifle we use in Free Fall, but, well, you know the rest.....head . . . inasafe. . . yeah, yeah, whatever. did I tell you bout the time . . .

ZonieDiver
01-30-2011, 04:48

Granted, the blade is not blue-tinted ceramic, but the handle IS blue... and buoyant! No oyster opener, but there is the ring to attach a lanyard! :D

Blitzzz (RIP)
01-30-2011, 09:50
I'm not "Combat Diver" qualified, I am Military Free Fall (MFF) qualified. We "snipe" from 20,000 "above" sea level.

I could tell you the sniper rifle we use in Free Fall, but, well, you know the rest.....

WOW, great shooting..a 3.7 mile shots really demonstrate great sniper skills.
Under water, Snipering is pretty much limited to the number of bands on the gun....LOL
Maybe those Lazer rifles would work underwater..

Frog
01-30-2011, 13:58
When I was in UDT-11 we had an underwater defense gun. It shot a needle projectile about 150 yds. I tried it in the base pool and it took out a chunk of concrete at the other end at 50yds. That's a no-shitter.

Richard
01-30-2011, 14:18
That's a no-shitter.

What...the gun, the story, or the pool? :rolleyes:

mojaveman
01-30-2011, 14:24
What...the gun, the story, or the pool? :rolleyes:

We never allowed shitting in any of our pools either. :p:D

Dozer523
01-30-2011, 18:04
Granted, the blade is not blue-tinted ceramic, but the handle IS blue... and buoyant! No oyster opener, but there is the ring to attach a lanyard! :D Then it is definately NOT a Harseyl

exsquid
02-05-2011, 04:18
Two individuals shown in the magazine article are Jon Carroll and Ray Hon. Knives mentioned are Randall Model No. 16 & Gerber "Neptune".

x/S

x SF med
02-05-2011, 12:44
Granted, the blade is not blue-tinted ceramic, but the handle IS blue... and buoyant! No oyster opener, but there is the ring to attach a lanyard! :D

No bottle opener... worthless piece of junk....:cool: