PDA

View Full Version : Sprint, WTF

krod
01-21-2011, 09:16
So I get a phone bill from Sprint for 75 dollars... Problem is I have service thru Centurylink that is unlimited long distance. These calls were billed to me during my service Centurylink and were all on one day. They were calls that were actually made to Indiana. Centurylink states there were no malfunctions in the system and Sprint states that the calls were routed thru their system by me, i'm a commo guy, but not smart enough to intentionally route my calls thru another network. Anybody heard of this or even know if I can be billed for something if I have never signed a contract for the service?

Ret10Echo
01-21-2011, 11:19
krod,
Just to clarify...you are the one who made the calls to Indiana? And was this a wire to wire call or a wireless call?

Sounds like there are some issues related to the billing and the routing within the company and both are pointing the finger at each other. (The infamous "It's on their end" comments). I'm sure the "unlimited" statement is based on staying "in-network" which in today's day and age you have no control over since you don't know if the receiving party is on the network you are on.

Centurylink appears to be connected through both Qwest as well as Sprint through the Centurylink name and the Embarq name. Embarq (wireline) was spun off from Sprint and acquired by Centurytel, who then merged with Qwest. I tried reading through the background and it is pretty convoluted.

Not sure how to fight this. It's almost like using a satellite phone or INMARSAT terminal and getting billed for access to a satellite owned by Singapore. You didn't define the signal path, but that is what you get billed for.

Either way it is jacked-up that Centurylink shrugged this off. Check the fine print...they probably cover themselves in their somewhere. If they won't help, then jettison them after an expression of "extreme displeasure".

Maybe there is someone in here that is on the Telco side.

krod
01-21-2011, 12:35
it is my home phone(land line), and yes I made the calls. I been on the phone with them all day with no luck, problem is they sent it to collections and they keep hanging up when we get them cornered

Ret10Echo
01-21-2011, 17:53
it is my home phone(land line), and yes I made the calls. I been on the phone with them all day with no luck, problem is they sent it to collections and they keep hanging up when we get them cornered

Sounds like there was some circuit that did not get transferred over when the company spin-offs and mergers took place. You probably aren't the first one to get stuck with this type of bill.

It will probably not help, but if you get them on the line again tell them you are filing a complaint with the FCC Consumer and Government Affairs Bureau concerning the use of deceptive and unlawful advertising and promotion of long-distance services. (What part of "unlimited" don't you get?...)

Website is here: http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm