PDA

View Full Version : Classic Knives

knightwarrior
01-13-2011, 14:06
I like classic knives. Here are some from my collection.

1- Randall #14 S
2- Randall #1 S 8" blade
3- Sog Recon
4- KDS Tiger 9" blade (custom made)
5- Al Mar Shadow

And one of my leather holster for the Randall #1

regards,
Patricio

PiterM
01-13-2011, 15:00
Nice.... especially Randalls!

Dusty
01-13-2011, 15:09
Careful with the skull; it'll be a hate crime to have one, soon. Be civil.

(Nice blades, BTW.:cool:)

knightwarrior
01-13-2011, 18:02
Thank you PiterM and Dusty.

(about the skull, it is a plastic model for schools)

Best regards

cszakolczai
01-13-2011, 20:25

Best regards

Is that a real SOG knife? Thats in pretty amazing condition if so.

Barbarian
01-14-2011, 07:42
Those are some awesome assets to your collection, for sure. I've not seen too many shoulder holsters for blades either.

Impressive showing.:cool:

mcarey
01-14-2011, 09:31
Really nice collection!

knightwarrior
01-14-2011, 13:02
Thank you cszakolczai, Barbarian and mcarey.

I used to have almost 25 knives. I liked to show different kind of them to my students.
Then I began with military radios, so I sold some to buy radios (prc-25, prc-4600, trc 300, prc-600 and so on)

The Sog is a very first SOG Specialty knives edition. I don't know why it has a very long handle. I like this one very much. I can say it was my first "expensive" knife.

After I saw "High Art", the movie with Peter Coyote, I start looking for a leather shoulder holster. I contact Gary Randall (Randall Made owner) and he gave me the address of Greg Gutcher (Sullivan's Holster Shop) from Tampa, FL.
He made me one for an old Randall #1.

I am always making changes to my equipment, so this knife holster was not an exception.
Then I made other holsters for my other knives.

Now I am working on a leather sheath with a MOLLE system to carry my knife over the vest.

Best regards
Patricio

knightwarrior
01-15-2011, 14:57
This was one photo taken to a pic I got back in 1994. My Randall # 14 when it was new.

Also a show you a pic with Gary Randall, my son and I.

Then a Greg Gutcher knife shoulder holster.
And the one I made.

Best regards,
Patricio

Dusty
01-15-2011, 16:26
Thank you cszakolczai, Barbarian and mcarey.

I used to have almost 25 knives. I liked to show different kind of them to my students.
Then I began with military radios, so I sold some to buy radios (prc-25, prc-4600, trc 300, prc-600 and so on)

The Sog is a very first SOG Specialty knives edition. I don't know why it has a very long handle. I like this one very much. I can say it was my first "expensive" knife.

After I saw "High Art", the movie with Peter Coyote, I start looking for a leather shoulder holster. I contact Gary Randall (Randall Made owner) and he gave me the address of Greg Gutcher (Sullivan's Holster Shop) from Tampa, FL.
He made me one for an old Randall #1.

I am always making changes to my equipment, so this knife holster was not an exception.
Then I made other holsters for my other knives.

Now I am working on a leather sheath with a MOLLE system to carry my knife over the vest.

Best regards
Patricio

Patricio;

"High Art" was released as "Exposure" over here in the states-very interesting movie with regard to the knife-fighting scenes.

Is there really a "knife culture" down your way?

knightwarrior
01-16-2011, 08:58
Patricio;
"High Art" was released as "Exposure" over here in the states-very interesting movie with regard to the knife-fighting scenes.
Is there really a "knife culture" down your way?

You are right Dusty, the movie was released as Exposure in the USA. That movie was very well advice. Knife techniques are from Philippins' Martial Arts.

We used to have a knife culture. Our "Gauchos" where very skilled with knives. They develope this skill because knives were the only weapon they could buy or swap. Guns were very expensive (even today).

We can say that the knife techniques were a Spain fencing adaptation.
Spain also occupied the Philippins and it is possible that Kali and others martial arts also were developed or take some techniques from the same root.

That is why Gaucho knife fencing is very similar to Philippins knife techniques.

I learned knife fighting from a Philippine Martial Art Instructor, who was a Dan Inosanto's student.

Best regards,
Patricio

Dusty
01-16-2011, 09:18
You are right Dusty, the movie was released as Exposure in the USA. That movie was very well advice. Knife techniques are from Philippins' Martial Arts.

We used to have a knife culture. Our "Gauchos" where very skilled with knives. They develope this skill because knives were the only weapon they could buy or swap. Guns were very expensive (even today).

We can say that the knife techniques were a Spain fencing adaptation.
Spain also occupied the Philippins and it is possible that Kali and others martial arts also were developed or take some techniques from the same root.

That is why Gaucho knife fencing is very similar to Philippins knife techniques.

I learned knife fighting from a Philippine Martial Art Instructor, who was a Dan Inosanto's student.

Best regards,
Patricio

I'm reading about Moreiro, now. Serious warrior, he was.

Almost got to take my team to Argentina; genned up a training schedule that mostly said "de esqui". Then we got shifted to another AO, and the schedule was changed to "marcha en selva" every day for 6 weeks.

Have you read the book by Don Pentecost on knife fighting, yet?

(Probably should go to PM-I think this is verging on "chat".)

Dusty
01-16-2011, 09:21

Best regards

Yeah, that's prolly what Cousin Fester's gonna say about his at the Tucson trial, too.

knightwarrior
01-16-2011, 12:46
My son with model 1

R3V3LATIONS
01-16-2011, 13:03
I like the Al Mar. It reminds me of the Fairborn Sykes dagger. Impressive collection though

knightwarrior
01-16-2011, 16:03
I like the Al Mar. It reminds me of the Fairborn Sykes dagger. Impressive collection though

Thanks R3V3LATIONS. Al Mar designed Gerber Mark II and then this Shadow dagger, both based in the FS.
Al Mar also made a copy of the original Fairbairn-Skykes.

Best regards,
Patricio

kgoerz
01-16-2011, 16:49
Here is one. M3 Trench Knife. Used by Paratroopers for the D-Day Invasion.

Barbarian
01-17-2011, 08:01
Nice one, Kgoerz. Is that a surplus or reproduction?

cszakolczai
01-17-2011, 10:40
Here's an original Camillus pilots survival knife. The pilot actually wrote his name on the sheath, this one dated back to Vietnam era.

kgoerz
01-17-2011, 13:37
Nice one, Kgoerz. Is that a surplus or reproduction?

Its a reproduction made by Broker Knives. I lost my original. I jammed it into the Tread of the Tiger Tank that was rolling over my Fox Hole:D

Barbarian
01-17-2011, 13:49
I jammed it into the Tread of the Tiger Tank that was rolling over my Fox Hole

Well did it stop the tank?

kgoerz
01-17-2011, 14:48
Well did it stop the tank?

Snapped it like a Tooth Pick

Barbarian
01-17-2011, 15:17
Snapped it like a Tooth Pick

Damn, I figured as much. I guess if your gonna lose one, that's one of the better ways to do it, huh.

kgoerz
01-17-2011, 15:30
Damn, I figured as much. I guess if your gonna lose one, that's one of the better ways to do it, huh.

You do know I am kidding. I didn't fight in WWII.

Barbarian
01-17-2011, 15:42
LOL! I didn't see any pink text, so I didn't question.............. now that I've pulled both feet out of my mouth......yeah, seein' it pretty clear now. Ah, well.:D

cszakolczai
01-17-2011, 19:41
LOL! I didn't see any pink text, so I didn't question.............. now that I've pulled both feet out of my mouth......yeah, seein' it pretty clear now. Ah, well.:D

I have a bridge for sale... wanna buy it?

Barbarian
01-17-2011, 19:49
I have a bridge for sale... wanna buy it?

Guess I might as well, huh.:p

Got my Grandpah's ka-bar from WWII. Or the blade from it, rather. It's in Godawful shape after a couple generations. Looks like someone tried to "modify" it at some point. I'll post a pic here pretty soon.

cszakolczai
01-17-2011, 23:52
Guess I might as well, huh.:p

Got my Grandpah's ka-bar from WWII. Or the blade from it, rather. It's in Godawful shape after a couple generations. Looks like someone tried to "modify" it at some point. I'll post a pic here pretty soon.

It mighta been "modified" by him. I've seen a lot of knives in person which were made by vets in the field or just something to keep themselves busy. Would love to see the knife though.

Culpeper
01-24-2011, 18:48
1918 Trench Knife

MVP
01-26-2011, 13:03
Retry

modern Brit machete and modified AM Smatchet

Barbarian
01-27-2011, 12:16
Great smatchet, MVP. What are the specs on it?

Heh, heh. Smatchet.

MVP
01-27-2011, 14:20
It is an Al Mar that I replaced the handle scales.

Here are some W. German knives from the 1980s; basic combat knife made by Puma and two gravity knives.

MVP

MVP
01-27-2011, 14:22
A comparison of the FS dagger and a 1985 vintage Ek model 1 with the poured lead rivets.

MVP

knightwarrior
01-27-2011, 14:30
A comparison of the FS dagger and a 1985 vintage Ek model 1 with the poured lead rivets.

MVP

I really like that FS dagger. With the S hilt.
It is an old model? or a great repro from FS Commando Knives ( http://www.esa-swords.com/customknives.html ).

Best regards,

Barbarian
01-27-2011, 20:00
Here is my grandfather's Ka-Bar, issued by the Navy during WWII. The handle has been changed among other things.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i337/Barbarian2/1.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i337/Barbarian2/3.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i337/Barbarian2/4.jpg

cszakolczai
01-27-2011, 22:29
Here is my grandfather's Ka-Bar, issued by the Navy during WWII. The handle has been changed among other things.

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i337/Barbarian2/1.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i337/Barbarian2/3.jpg

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i337/Barbarian2/4.jpg

Outstanding... who was he with during the war?

cszakolczai
01-27-2011, 22:36
It is an Al Mar that I replaced the handle scales.

Here are some W. German knives from the 1980s; basic combat knife made by Puma and two gravity knives.

MVP

I never knew the design was kept the same from WW2. During WW2 the Fallschirmjagers carried that same looking knife with a wooden handle and many had the solingen stamping on the blade. Are either of the gravity knives stamped with anything on the blade?

knightwarrior
01-28-2011, 07:24
I never knew the design was kept the same from WW2. During WW2 the Fallschirmjagers carried that same looking knife with a wooden handle and many had the solingen stamping on the blade. Are either of the gravity knives stamped with anything on the blade?

There are basically 3 Gravity Knives models.
The first one from WWII (wood handle)
The second, very similar but with plastic handle (1950 to 1970).
And the third one, almost all plastic body (the LL80) (1980's)
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu137/percor/Pato/GGK.jpg
Pic not mine.

cszakolczai
01-28-2011, 07:31
There are basically 3 Gravity Knives models.
The first one from WWII (wood handle)
The second, very similar but with plastic handle (1950 to 1970).
And the third one, almost all plastic body (the LL80) (1980's)
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu137/percor/Pato/GGK.jpg
Pic not mine.

Awesome thank you for the information sir! I think I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for one, seem like a really neat little knife. thank you for the information again sir.

Chris

knightwarrior
01-28-2011, 07:55
Awesome thank you for the information sir! I think I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for one, seem like a really neat little knife. thank you for the information again sir.

Chris

Your welcome Chris. I bought the second model in Texas for 40 or 50 u$ two years ago.
In my opinion, the second model is better than the third one made by Eickhorn

http://www.lbainternational.com/eickhorn/mk_ll80.htm

There were a LL80 model made under Colt's brand, with black plastic body.

This pic is mine. You can compare the GGK with a regular knife (a training knife) and a Police Spyderco.

Best regards

Barbarian
01-28-2011, 08:06

You've got quite a collection, MVP. Very cool.

Outstanding... who was he with during the war?

I'd never found out. He never liked talking about it. Also I was a kid, and didn't know enough to ask that type of thing. I'm going to talk to Dad and fill out a sf-180 to see what I can find out. I guess that's the best way to go about it, anyway.

MVP
01-28-2011, 08:34
ThX Barabrian.

Chris, there are four major German versions of the gravity knives and 1 brit. When the W. Germans re-created their airborne forces in after 1950 they created a new knife that is much trimmer without the marlin spike having black handle scales. It cannot be taken apart and they had a funny little door that was frequently broken off (top knife in this photo). The LL80 types are really weak, the locking latch spring rides against the back of the blade when it is out but does not lock the blade. it can be pushed back into the handle witha moderate amount of force. When I first saw the LL80 in the little market/Garden shop on Markstrasse in Tolz I was told they were made for tourists... The Brit version was only made during WWII and is a virtual copy of the German type with the addition of checkering to the handle. I believe all five types are shown in FJ Stephens book "Fighting Knives". There is a large amount of additional background information in the German language book "German trench knives and fighting knives" I cannot think of the exact title just this minute but it is written in fairly high German making reading a bit slow.

All of the German knives I have seen are marked on the blades but the only listing of codes (post war) I know of is in the German language book.

MVP

cszakolczai
01-28-2011, 17:12
Your welcome Chris. I bought the second model in Texas for 40 or 50 u$ two years ago.
In my opinion, the second model is better than the third one made by Eickhorn

http://www.lbainternational.com/eickhorn/mk_ll80.htm

There were a LL80 model made under Colt's brand, with black plastic body.

This pic is mine. You can compare the GGK with a regular knife (a training knife) and a Police Spyderco.

Best regards

Thats great sir, thanks for the information. I am going to keep my eye out for a couple of these. I guess when I get home I'll take a couple more pictures of some knives I have in my collection. I should add to this thread as opposed to just asking questions. Thanks again though.

You've got quite a collection, MVP. Very cool.

I'd never found out. He never liked talking about it. Also I was a kid, and didn't know enough to ask that type of thing. I'm going to talk to Dad and fill out a sf-180 to see what I can find out. I guess that's the best way to go about it, anyway.

You might be able to request more information from other areas as well. There's a great amount of research information available just through the internet. NARA might be a place to start?

ThX Barabrian.

Chris, there are four major German versions of the gravity knives and 1 brit. When the W. Germans re-created their airborne forces in after 1950 they created a new knife that is much trimmer without the marlin spike having black handle scales. It cannot be taken apart and they had a funny little door that was frequently broken off (top knife in this photo). The LL80 types are really weak, the locking latch spring rides against the back of the blade when it is out but does not lock the blade. it can be pushed back into the handle witha moderate amount of force. When I first saw the LL80 in the little market/Garden shop on Markstrasse in Tolz I was told they were made for tourists... The Brit version was only made during WWII and is a virtual copy of the German type with the addition of checkering to the handle. I believe all five types are shown in FJ Stephens book "Fighting Knives". There is a large amount of additional background information in the German language book "German trench knives and fighting knives" I cannot think of the exact title just this minute but it is written in fairly high German making reading a bit slow.

All of the German knives I have seen are marked on the blades but the only listing of codes (post war) I know of is in the German language book.

MVP

I really appreciate the information sir, you definitely answered a lot of questions I was contemplating when looking at the differences between them. I'd like to check out that books which you mentioned as well. I really appreciate all the responses, lots of great information on the gravity knives. Thanks again gentleman.

knightwarrior
01-28-2011, 17:19

MVP

Please MVP, if you can tell me where you bought your FS dagger.
Thank you very much,

kgoerz
01-28-2011, 17:37
Damm. I got nothing. Have to dig one out

MVP
01-31-2011, 12:56
KnightWarrior,

In 2002 ESA was importing the WS daggers but the quality was extremely poor. I bought one of them and it was this that was returned to WS resulting in them building the one I have now. Due to the British Knife Act (yes a knife law) they were prohibited from making real daggers. This act it also what led up to WS ceasing all knife production. They agreed to make mine since it was a "return" to a customer and not a production knife to be sold. They also required there be small changes to the blade etchings to protect collectors.

MVP

mike-munich
02-01-2011, 09:28
but it is written in fairly high German making reading a bit slow.

If somebody needs a translation of a section let me know, maybe send me a scan of the page and I'll do it. (I ain't doing the whole book though!...:cool:)

MVP
02-01-2011, 09:44
The reference book is titled "Deutsche Kampfmesser". I bought my copy from Frankonia in Munich. Quickly thumbing through it last night while trying to get the twins in bed, I noticed only the WWII, and the first two post-war versions. the LL80 was conspicuously absent. I sometimes wonder if the LL80 was actually issued or just something proposed like the Eickhorn combat knife designed in the 1980/90's...

Periodically the gravity knives are offered for sale on egun.de, searchword "kappmesser"

MVP

mike-munich
02-01-2011, 09:54
They are also called "Fallmesser", since the blade kinda falls out of the handle with gravity.

There is one on eGun now: http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=3114598

I'm not sure if they were ever issued, but I can check on that with my Bundeswehr buddies.