PDA

View Full Version : Congress Outlaws The USAF

uplink5
01-09-2011, 11:33
Congress Outlaws The USAF
January 9, 2011:

The U.S. Air Force has been using a rarely enforced 19th century law (the Anti-Deficiency Act, or ADA), and more inspections, to get rid of generals and senior commanders who do not do their jobs. This all began because of the embarrassing problems with nuclear weapons security last three years ago. Since then, commanders have come under more pressure to do things right. That means more strictness in following the rules. Scary inspections have become fashionable again, along with fiscal responsibility. Commanders who don't get with the program are headed for early retirement. This has happened to 14 air force generals and dozens of colonels in the last three years.

Read the rest here (http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htlead/articles/20110109.aspx)

Interesting article and web site......

I'm glad to see a Congressional crack down on the Air Force. Since General LeMay's times, the Air Force had carte blanche relative to the other services. About time they were reeled in.....jd

mojaveman
01-09-2011, 12:03
Gee, whatever's good for the USAF must be good for the other branches too. You wanna bet that the other services are eventually going to see more congressional overview as well?

lindy
01-09-2011, 12:07
Gee, whatever's good for the USAF must be good for the other branches too.

Like their PT "test"? :lifter

Pete
01-09-2011, 12:27
While it dug a few good barbs I saw it as an interesting piece that wrapped up a bunch of little stories that have been floating around the last 20 years.

uplink5
01-09-2011, 12:33
Gee, whatever's good for the USAF must be good for the other branches too. You wanna bet that the other services are eventually going to see more congressional overview as well?

If it's legitimate fraud, waste, abuse and or incompetence such as found in the AF, then so be it. The Air Force crackdown though has more to do with many years of cost overruns for almost every major procurement without sufficient oversight. Also, because of the incompetence displayed over the nuclear weapons security issues, something had to be done. If there are any equivalent issues within the other services then of course it should be addressed.

That said, Sec. Gates seems to be addressing spending issues throughout but I don't think its having the same kind of effect on the careers of senior commanders as it is in the AF.

The Reaper
01-09-2011, 14:07
This isn't Congressional action, it is accountability by the Sec AF and CSAF.

GEN Norty Schwartz is cowboying up and holding leaders responsible. He is also forcing the fighter pilot mafia to follow the same rules as everyone else.

TR

JimP
01-09-2011, 19:20
trust me - there ain't nothing "rarely enforced" about the anti-deficiency act. That's just crazy talk - it carries a mandatory congressional reporting requirement.

Surgicalcric
01-09-2011, 23:11
This isn't Congressional action, it is accountability by the Sec AF and CSAF...

The Army sure could use some of that accountability given the fiasco with the ACU's as well as changing to Blues in the middle of two wars... :rolleyes: