PDA

View Full Version : Motivational Speeches and Materials

Warpath66
01-06-2011, 23:20
The Charge of the Light Brigade
Alfred, Lord Tennyson
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.
"Forward, the Light Brigade!
"Charge for the guns!" he said:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

"Forward, the Light Brigade!"
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Someone had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the six hundred.

Flash'd all their sabres bare,
Flash'd as they turn'd in air,
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army, while
All the world wonder'd:
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right thro' the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reel'd from the sabre stroke
Shatter'd and sunder'd.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
While horse and hero fell,
They that had fought so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death
Back from the mouth of Hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wondered.
Honor the charge they made,
Honor the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred.

jbour13
01-06-2011, 23:55
That's nice.

You'll soon find that deeds, not words, provide inspiration amongst the collective masses here. Words help, but usually that of a Senior NCO that explains the process of following simple instructions and consequences of not doing so.

The QP's will be along shortly. Begin digging in for the digital siege that will soon come upon you.

Have a great Army day!

Warpath66
01-07-2011, 08:01
- Know what it truly means to "take care of troops".

- There are two sides to every story.

- Be consistent.

- But don't have absolute's

- Being responsible means you have to be an asshole sometimes

- Don't have a zero defect mentality

- Have the moral courage to speak up

- Support your chain of command even when you don't want to

- Support your troops even when you don't want to

- Bitch in private and praise in public

- Sometimes, fighting is alright

You can read more here at:
http://rhinoden.rangerup.com/kellys-rules-of-leadership/

lindy
01-07-2011, 13:26
- Being responsible means you have to be an asshole sometimes

Airman,

What the hell are you doing? :confused:

If you would bother to read the stickies all over this site, you'll see "this ain't no ordinary web". These guys here know quite a bit about motivation. To that end, if I were going to post any URLs linked to motivational speeches and materials I would chose hands down professionalsoldiers.com.

You're new to the military and new to DLI. I seriously doubt you have any new insight into what it takes to motivate someone to push through a difficult situation. These guys don't need (or want) cheerleaders. Their motivation comes from within.

Also, your posting needlessly feeds the stereotype that guys like us (you, me, & JB) are Dungeons & Dragon-playing, World-of-Warcraft 70th level wizard strap hangers, and wanna-be cool guys who have zero situational awareness.

Tradition (and manners) dictates that the new guy show up at the Team house with a case as a show of respect and as a good will gesture. It's a small step to show the TS "As a support guy, I may not know much about your world but I'll do my best to learn and I will never quit."

You have figuratively walked into their house with muddy boots and have been stomping around acting like you know more about what it takes than they do.

If you're having a tough time at DLI, then I would suggest you PT to clear your mind and eat well to nourish the body. Many here, as well as myself, have been in your shoes (myself 3 times).

If you're seeking motivation to drive on: read the threads. Honestly, I would search the TAPS section for SGTs Vance, DazaChacon, Chay, Robertson, and Creighton. They were all linguists.

Best of luck and get back to studying. :lifter

L

wet dog
01-07-2011, 13:49
edited:

It's really too nice of a day for me to go down this path.

Getting settled and comfortable.:munchin

I'm sitting this one out.

Warpath66
01-08-2011, 01:32
- Lindy

I thought long and hard about what you have to say about this thread, and while I do respect your opinion, I do not appreciate your comments. Given your years of experience, what you say is most likely true. The people who visit this website do not need "cheerleaders". However, my only goal in establishing this thread was to contribute pieces that I have found particularly inspiration. All in all, I am unsure on how to really respond to this post, other than to request that next time, could you please message me instead, so that we can have a conversation of mutual understanding before you berate me in public.

I understand that the military is no place for hard feelings. It doesn't care about the trivial grudges you hold in accordance to your opinion. I just ask for the opportunity to learn and understand.

- A1C K

Edited: Airman, there is no need to have your name on the web anymore than it is already... Crip

Dozer523
01-08-2011, 06:41
- Lindy

I thought long and hard about what you have to say about this thread, and while I do respect your opinion, I do not appreciate your comments. Given your years of experience, what you say is most likely true. The people who visit this website do not need "cheerleaders". However, my only goal in establishing this thread was to contribute pieces that I have found particularly inspiration. All in all, I am unsure on how to really respond to this post, other than to request that next time, could you please message me instead, so that we (-you and I)can have a conversation of mutual understanding before you berate me in public.

I understand that the military is no place for hard feelings. It doesn't care about the trivial grudges you (-toward me) hold in accordance to your opinion. I just ask for the opportunity to learn and understand.

- A1C Kawasaki A1C, Who is this all about?

lindy
01-08-2011, 09:11
All in all, I am unsure on how to really respond to this post, other than to request that next time, could you please message me instead, so that we can have a conversation of mutual understanding before you berate me in public.

I just ask for the opportunity to learn and understand.

One man's beratment is another man's teachable moment.

If you are able, I would recommend going Airborne (USAF version) as an 1A8X1. After your training at Fairchild AFB, you'll most likely start to understand what I mean about internal and external motivation. (External being that you would do anything to not let your team/crew down).

Best of luck and study hard. Regardless of your language, we need more volunteers to become 1N3X1s.

The Reaper
01-08-2011, 10:45
- I just ask for the opportunity to learn and understand.

- A1C K

Learning more frequently results from reading than posting.

If learning is what you are here for, I would recommend more reading and less posting.

TR

Warpath66
01-08-2011, 11:49
Understood. Thank you for the advice.

Dozer523
01-09-2011, 06:56
It usually takes more than a few words and stirring retorical cadence to get me going (that may be something I should run by the group during our next 50 minute hour) but, this one has always worked for me. WP, when the tough going gets . . . wait . . . I mean when the going gets tough, here:

My American fellows, the office that I hold has its ups and downs, its windfalls, as well as its various duties. And it is in the performance of the most trying of these duties that I speak with you today, to illustrate to my countrymen a harsh, inescapable truth. A storm is gathering, ladies and gentlemen. And in the gloaming darkness lurk the contents of our own nightmares. There is no denying that in the coming days, the coming hours even, we Americans will be tested. We will know pain and loss. There will probably be some disembowelings. But we have been tested before. In a Red-Coated New England winter, we were tested. On the fields of Shiloh, we gripped wood and steel and cloth. And today will be no different. My fellow Americans, today, I offer up this, joyful, hallowed refrain—one that you have no doubt heard on many other, happier, occasions; one that will forever have new meaning after today. My fellow Americans, look under your chairs. Your government has distributed among each and every one of you a Phase-IV Energy Rifle. Yes, that is correct. You get a rifle. And you get a rifle. Glen Fullerton of Des Moines, Iowa gets a rifle. As does little Suzy Hutchins of Passaic, New Jersey, who has to ride the train three hours a day to get to her magnet school. You all get rifles. And with them we will beat back the coming darkness. Their gamma rays shall light up the sky, signaling a new screaming birth for our triumphant nation. Americans who are my fellows, history shall remember this day with new meaning as the day our nation saw the flickering candle of freedom and relit it by the light of its people's courageous torches. This is our Arbor Day.

(Stolen from a Groupon ad because I like cupcakes.)

Dusty
01-09-2011, 07:35
It usually takes more than a few words and stirring retorical cadence to get me going (that may be something I should run by the group during our next 50 minute hour) but, this one has always worked for me. WP, when the tough going gets . . . wait . . . I mean when the going gets tough, here:

My American fellows, the office that I hold has its ups and downs, its windfalls, as well as its various duties. And it is in the performance of the most trying of these duties that I speak with you today, to illustrate to my countrymen a harsh, inescapable truth. A storm is gathering, ladies and gentlemen. And in the gloaming darkness lurk the contents of our own nightmares. There is no denying that in the coming days, the coming hours even, we Americans will be tested. We will know pain and loss. There will probably be some disembowelings. But we have been tested before. In a Red-Coated New England winter, we were tested. On the fields of Shiloh, we gripped wood and steel and cloth. And today will be no different. My fellow Americans, today, I offer up this, joyful, hallowed refrain—one that you have no doubt heard on many other, happier, occasions; one that will forever have new meaning after today. My fellow Americans, look under your chairs. Your government has distributed among each and every one of you a Phase-IV Energy Rifle. Yes, that is correct. You get a rifle. And you get a rifle. Glen Fullerton of Des Moines, Iowa gets a rifle. As does little Suzy Hutchins of Passaic, New Jersey, who has to ride the train three hours a day to get to her magnet school. You all get rifles. And with them we will beat back the coming darkness. Their gamma rays shall light up the sky, signaling a new screaming birth for our triumphant nation. Americans who are my fellows, history shall remember this day with new meaning as the day our nation saw the flickering candle of freedom and relit it by the light of its people's courageous torches. This is our Arbor Day.

(Stolen from a Groupon ad because I like cupcakes.)

Kleenex moment.:D:D

greenberetTFS
01-22-2012, 12:50
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/415565_227842313963737_148031865278116_507007_2200 38097_o.jpg

Big Teddy :munchin

greenberetTFS
01-22-2012, 12:59
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/323555_229263413821627_148031865278116_511197_6416 42679_o.jpg

ZonieDiver
01-22-2012, 13:35
The Charge of the Light Brigade
Alfred, Lord Tennyson
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.
"Forward, the Light Brigade!
"Charge for the guns!" he said:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

"Forward, the Light Brigade!"
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Someone had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the six hundred.

Flash'd all their sabres bare,
Flash'd as they turn'd in air,
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army, while
All the world wonder'd:
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right thro' the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reel'd from the sabre stroke
Shatter'd and sunder'd.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
While horse and hero fell,
They that had fought so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death
Back from the mouth of Hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wondered.
Honor the charge they made,
Honor the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred.

As I read this, why do I see Alfalfa standing on stage reciting it as fireworks go off in his back pocket? :D

greenberetTFS
01-22-2012, 15:04
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/309177_2122938678660_1401630691_32160292_869438113 _n.jpg?dl=1

Unexplainable, Inexcusable................:mad:

No one has been able to explain to me why young men... and women serve in the U.S. Military for 20 years, risking their lives protecting freedom, and only get 50% of their pay. While Politicians hold their political positions in the safe confines of the capital, protected by these same men and women, and receive full pay retirement after serving one term. It just does not make any sense.

On Fox news they learned that the staffers of Congress family members are exempt from having to pay back student loans. This will get national attention if other news networks will broadcast it. When you add this to the below, just where will all of it stop?

35 States file lawsuit against the Federal Government

Governors of 35 states have filed suit against the Federal Government for imposing unlawful burdens upon them. It only takes 38 (of the 50) States to convene a Constitutional Convention.

This will take less than thirty seconds to read. If you agree, please pass it on.

This is an idea that we should address.

For too long we have been too complacent about the workings of Congress. Many citizens had no idea that members of Congress could retire with the same pay after only one term, that they specifically exempted themselves from many of the laws they have passed (such as being exempt from any fear of prosecution for sexual harassment) while ordinary citizens must live under those laws. The latest is to exempt themselves from the Healthcare Reform... in all of its forms. Somehow, that doesn't seem logical. We do not have an elite that is above the law. I truly don't care if they are Democrat, Republican, Independent or whatever. The self-serving must stop.

If each person that receives this will post it on their wall, in three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message.. This is one proposal that really should be passed around.

Proposed 28th Amendment to the United States Constitution: "Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators and/or Representatives; and, Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators and/or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States .."

Now, what are you going to do about it? Read and delete, or work for reform? Share on the wall of EVERY congressman, representative, governor, the white house!!!!! Pass it around!!! Make calls, send fax's and email's...............

By: Derek Batchelor

plato
01-22-2012, 15:55
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/309177_2122938678660_1401630691_32160292_869438113 _n.jpg?dl=1

Unexplainable, Inexcusable................:mad:

No one has been able to explain to me why young men... and women serve in the U.S. Military for 20 years, risking their lives protecting freedom, and only get 50% of their pay. While Politicians hold their political positions in the safe confines of the capital, protected by these same men and women, and receive full pay retirement after serving one term. It just does not make any sense.

Respectfully submitted,

Unexplainable, Inexcusable, and Untrue.

Congresscritters and their staff are subject to one of the two Civil Service retirement systems. The old (and better one) that I am very familiar with, gives you 1.5% for each of your first 5 years and 1.75% for each of the next 5 years. A congresscritter retiring after 10 years would get 16.25% of pay. Every year after that is worth an additional 2%. That makes retirement after 20 years worth 36.25 percent of whatever their base pay is. The retirement pay is less with the new system.

There's the problem with the internet. It's the old "heard it from someone, who heard it from someone, who heard it from someone", but the "fact" originators are anonymous and the written word is written, just like in textbooks.

frostfire
02-05-2015, 16:52
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26U_seo0a1g

this guy makes one hell of a speech-visual combo that makes you forget pain, limitation, fear etc. and do that one more rep, one more mile, one hundred more dry fire, etc.