PDA

View Full Version : Time to Man-up or Wimp-out

Buffalobob
01-06-2011, 08:20
OK, the way it stands is 2010 is mostly history. I killed one elk with a bow and one with a rifle and one antelope with a pistol and one with a rifle. Average distance was 45+450+501+1080 = 2,074/4 = 518 yds.

Now it’s time to get back to the real nitty gritty and start sending in the applications for the 2011 hunts. So, you can look around and see if you are lord and master of all you survey or whether you are a beaten down belly crawling worm who trembles in fear when SWMBO speaks.

First up is Wyoming. Their application period for antelope (and all other animals) hunting is January 1 – March 15. Probably will be some doe antelope licenses “leftover” for the indecisive willynillys who never know what they are doing tomorrow much less 9 months from now.

So if you wish to go antelope hunting, which is about the easiest hunting there is, then now is the time to decide and send in your application.
I have helped lots and lots of people by email and online to go antelope hunting successfully and am willing to help anyone who is serious about it. Here are two articles I have written on how to be successful in drawing a tag and how to be successful in killing an antelope you will be proud to hang on your wall.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f64/how-go-antelope-hunting-26099/index2.html

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f64/how-hunt-antelope-long-range-26100/index6.html

Here is another article that basically says the same thing.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/how-to-hunt-antelope-1.php

Here is the Wyoming Game and Fish website
http://gf.state.wy.us/

The documents you want to download are on that page.
Ii always use the Wyoming Atlas and Gazetteer for determining public land availability but for you guys who got new phones and handhelds there are some great e-maps showing landuse that are available for them and well as the device will gps you right in.

A buck tag will cost you $286 and a doe tag will cost $48 and you can buy two of them up front and more later. So for $382 you can shoot 3 antelope. There is a conservation stamp required but it is just pocket change. There are a lot of ways to save money and a lot of ways to waste money antelope hunting. The two most common ways of wasting money is paying for a guide and a butcher. Other than licenses, your major costs will be gas/diesel and lodging.

As I have said already, each year I get emails and PMs from guys who want to hunt antelope for the first time and I help them out and get some satisfaction from it. You can look at this thread and see two very nice trophies. I seldom hunt for trophies for myself and just go for distance, but if that is the name of the game then OK, I can do that.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21790

Utah deer and elk hunts have to be applied for between February 1 and March 1 and once again I can help you with those tasks and give you a basic idea of what to do and what to apply for. My own schedule of hunting is dependent upon what permits I draw and what consulting projects require my attention. Last year I came home for two weeks in the middle of hunting because I got finished bowhunting early and we had some consulting work to be done. It’s great to be retired, that’s for sure.

For all you guys who still have to work and support families – all joking aside- that is an important responsibility and one I always put first. Many years, while raising a family, I never killed anything nor had any new guns. My bow was 32 years old when I finally retired and got a new one. But for all of you retired guys who are just sitting around wearing out your keyboard complaining about the sad state of affairs you should get out and do something before you fall over dead from atrophy and apolexy. :D

badshot
01-07-2011, 03:53
Its a nice thing for you to offer Buffalobob :cool:

Antelope hunting is great for those new or a little out of shape, hope some take you up on it.

mark46th
01-07-2011, 16:14
Buff- Probably not in the cards this year. I have a fishing trip planned for Alaska this Summer. I do have a Pig Hunt scheduled for March 12th and 13th out of King City, Ca. I am expecting my Rem 700MLR in .338 Lapua to arrive any day. I want to have it dialed in for the pig hunt. Lots of open, rolling hills for a distance shot...

Richard
01-07-2011, 16:26
Well...I put a half dozen fur-coated, buck toothed, beady eyed, flea-ridden tree rats out of commission this past year with my trusty Crossman .177 cal pump pellet gun - and if I feel the urge to go after something larger and an even bigger pain in my @$$, it won't be an antelope - I'll drive to DC and, as a citizen, see about bagging my limit of polecats...all 541 of 'em.

Richard :munchin

lindy
01-07-2011, 16:35
I am expecting my Rem 700MLR in .338 Lapua to arrive any day. I want to have it dialed in for the pig hunt. Lots of open, rolling hills for a distance shot...

I just looked at the ammo. :eek::eek::eek: and I thought 6.8mm was expensive!

Those .22LR kits are looking SWEET! :cool:

mark46th
01-07-2011, 16:53
Yup- Not a cheap round. Needless to say I will be rolling my own...

Richard- I have a Trapping License for California- I got an oppossum today out of a back yard. Want a new hat? Maybe some possum jowl stew?

Leozinho
01-07-2011, 17:05
BuffaloBob,

Do you shoot any where near metro DC when you develop your loads?

Just curious.

I've always been interested in making a long range shot, but now that I have the funds and time to put together a trip out west, I don't have a place to practice (at least to be prepared for such long shots).

Buffalobob
01-07-2011, 20:39
I go out beyond Sideling Hill in western Maryland and shoot at the Green Ridge Forest rifle range for accuracy testing. Then I go to Quantico when they have Rec Fire on Range 4 (the 1000 yard range), and check my drops for different distances.

You can join Quantico Shooting Club if you need a place to shoot.

http://www.quanticoshootingclub.com/

If you want to do that then send me a PM and I will give you my name as a sponsor if you don't know anyone there. There is another guy from 20th that comes and shoots sometimes.

There is a 1K F-class match on January 21 and I will go and shoot unless it is rainy or snowy . I don't much enjoy being miserable. If you wish to come and shoot I can bring extra ammo and will teach you the very little that is needed to know to compete.

If you want to see some videos of F-class then you can visit my You tube site and dig them out. They are buried somewhere in there.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Microcystis?feature=mhum

Buffalobob
01-07-2011, 20:43
Just another piece of information for the people who might go next year or the year after--- The very best places to hunt in Wyoming are hard to draw permits for. But Wy has a preference point system so if you just purchase a preference point for a year or two your chances of being successful in the most desirable hunting units goes way up.

Buffalobob
05-21-2011, 05:40
My credit card was charged by the Utah DNR last week for an archery buck tag. Official notification happens on May 31. The bad news is there was no $1600 charge for a desert bighorn. :boohoo

Usually places like Utah and Wyoming will charge your credit card about a week before they release the results of the draw.

mark46th
05-22-2011, 17:03
Waiting for the Wyoming goat draw...

Mack27
05-23-2011, 06:51
Mark46th,

Good luck with the WY goat tag. Is that mountain goat, or antelope. If mountain goat, what area did you try for? I've got a friend who used to work as a game warden in the Jackson area, I think that would be area 2 for mountain goats. I was up there visiting one time, hiking the mountains. I stopped for a bit to rest and a mountain goat wandered out of the brush to the stream I was sitting by for a drink. He was not more the twenty yards from me and I was downwind from him, so he couldn't smell me. I watched him for a few minutes and then ever so slowly reached for my camera. I moved slowly enough that he didn't see me, but as slowly as I tried to unzip the case, he heard that. Didn't like that too much, not knowing what it was he heard, so he calmly (at least it seemed like it to me) ascended about 200 feet of near shear vertical cliff in about one minute. He then turned to look down on whatever it was that made that noise (me) after he felt safe up on the cliff. I got a few good pictures at that point, he had no problem posing for me once he got up there, even though he could see me walking around. He just seemed curious. I'll see if I can't find those pics and post them.

On the other hand, if you are talking about getting an antelope tag, good luck as well. My game warden friend shot a buck near Cody that was half and inch short of B&C. A lot of good open land out there for 'speed goats'.

Good luck to all taking trips out West this fall! Hopefully some day I can do the same.

Mack

Buffalobob
05-23-2011, 09:55
If you want to hunt mountain goats with a knife you can try Mt Rushmore. :D

mark46th
05-23-2011, 20:35
Mack- Pronghorn. First choice is Newcastle...

Buffalobob
06-24-2011, 17:42
Wyoming antelope draw results are now available at their website

License Type: Results Area/Type
Non-Resident Doe/Fawn Antelope Successful 072-6
Non-Resident Special Antelope Successful 072-1

:D

Waiting on Utah now for elk permits.

mark46th
06-24-2011, 18:57
Non-Resident Any Antelope Successful Zone 027-1. See you in October!!!

Shark Bait
06-25-2011, 12:34
Wow! That's some good success on your draws. I hope your hunts go as well. My passion is bow hunting elk in New Mexico.

Wyoming antelope draw results are now available at their website

License Type: Results Area/Type
Non-Resident Special Antelope Successful 072-1

:D

Waiting on Utah now for elk permits.

Penn
06-25-2011, 18:41
License Type:

Results Area/Type

Non-Resident Antelope
Successful 070-1

Non-Resident Doe/Fawn Antelope
Successful 072-6

Non-Resident Doe/Fawn Antelope
Successful 072-6

Buffalobob
07-14-2011, 12:18
Email came from the state of Utah concerning rifle season cow elk application. :D

Dear JAMES :

Thank you for your recent application for the Antlerless Drawing. Your results are:

Appl # Hunt # Result
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
788334 4024,4025,4026,4080,4017 ANTLERLESS EL SUCCESSFUL for hunt 4024 CENTRAL MTNS, NORTH MANTI
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

later this month the over the counter spike elk archery tags will become available.

That means I can bowhunt deer and elk beginning in August in Utah. Go to Wyoming and shoot at least three antelope and then go back to Utah and shoot an elk with a rifle. Be back home about the middle of October and bowhunt deer for a month in Maryland before the rifle season begins in Maryland

mark46th
07-14-2011, 12:30
That ought to keep you off the streets for a while...

Buffalobob
08-12-2011, 08:58
I have installed a tailgate lock, changed the oil, new air filter, alignment and new front discs. The tires have 40K on them but the tread is good enough for this trip. The rear seats are removed to free up interior space. The cap and box are on and bolted down. Most all of my gear is packed and ready to put in the truck except for the odds and ends that I haven't yet remembered. I'll put some stuff in the truck this afternoon and finish loading Saturday and depart Sunday. I expect to be back in mid to late October if the bears don't eat me.

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n168/bufflerbob/2011/Truck2011.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n168/bufflerbob/2011/avatar2.jpg

Penn
08-12-2011, 10:12
Safe journey, Enjoy the drive.