PDA

View Full Version : FN HAMR

cmts58
01-05-2011, 16:38
http://www.fnhusa.com/mil/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF064&gid=FNG020&mid=FNM0157

"Thermal-actuated transition between closed-bolt and open-bolt operation without operator intervention in both semi-auto and full-auto modes"

I've never seen a cookoff first hand. I've done multiple mag dumps to appease certain ACP practices after a long range day with an M4A1. I took precautions in the event of a cookoff, however it never happened. Is the danger of a cookoff real enough to warrant a 11 pound weapon? The standard MK16 weighs 7.24 lbs., long barrel model is 7.74lbs.

Granted, this weapon is for the "Infantry Automatic Rifle" role. However, for six more pounds one may carry an M249 SAW with belt feed capability. I have never used a drum magazine for the STANAG platform, so I cannot say as to whether that may be a viable option.

I personally see the HAMR being marketed as a "safe assault rifle", where for a 4lb. increase in weight, the danger of a cookoff is absolved.

What is your opinion on the IAR role?
What are the circumstances for a M4 platform to have a cookoff?
How might the "thermal actuated transition" mechanism function?

One thing I brought from the advertisment is that after firing enough rounds to warrant transition to open bolt fire, when the weapon has cooled to a predetermined temperature it will automatically revert to closed bolt thereby chambering a round without operator input.

Peregrino
01-05-2011, 18:29
Another solution in search of a problem. I can imagine the conversation in the marketing department went something like: "we couldn't persuade them to buy the SCAR because it wasn't "innovative" enough, let's change a few features and try again; if we make it sexy enough for the operators, somebody will be willing to pay and we can recoup the R&D costs (the taxpayer paid for)".

The Reaper
01-05-2011, 18:51
Given the number of times that the OICW or a component thereof has risen from the grave, I expect to see SCAR on a recurring semi-annual basis for many years to come.

TR

cmts58
01-05-2011, 18:53
Priorities of work for Gucci gear developers-

1. Must be sexy, preferably in Coyote Tan or Multicam.
2. Must be ridiculously expensive.
3. Must be featured in a video game.
4. Must work as well as the product it is intended to replace.

Improvement is not neccesary.

:D

Edited to add:

I can't wait for the belt fed, .50 BMG, and rocket launcher variations of the SCAR platform.

Dusty
01-05-2011, 21:24
http://www.fnhusa.com/mil/products/firearms/model.asp?fid=FNF064&gid=FNG020&mid=FNM0157

"Thermal-actuated transition between closed-bolt and open-bolt operation without operator intervention in both semi-auto and full-auto modes"

I've never seen a cookoff first hand. I've done multiple mag dumps to appease certain ACP practices after a long range day with an M4A1. I took precautions in the event of a cookoff, however it never happened. Is the danger of a cookoff real enough to warrant a 11 pound weapon? The standard MK16 weighs 7.24 lbs., long barrel model is 7.74lbs.

Granted, this weapon is for the "Infantry Automatic Rifle" role. However, for six more pounds one may carry an M249 SAW with belt feed capability. I have never used a drum magazine for the STANAG platform, so I cannot say as to whether that may be a viable option.

I personally see the HAMR being marketed as a "safe assault rifle", where for a 4lb. increase in weight, the danger of a cookoff is absolved.

What is your opinion on the IAR role?
What are the circumstances for a M4 platform to have a cookoff?
How might the "thermal actuated transition" mechanism function?

One thing I brought from the advertisment is that after firing enough rounds to warrant transition to open bolt fire, when the weapon has cooled to a predetermined temperature it will automatically revert to closed bolt thereby chambering a round without operator input.

The problem is that it's 5.56 mm.

alelks
01-05-2011, 22:02
Cookoffs are definitely a reality although the only weapon I personally saw cook off on quite a few occasions was the M16. Of course that was after firing multiple mags through it rather quickly.

cmts58
01-05-2011, 22:06
The problem is that it's 5.56 mm.

That the caliber is insufficient for the particular role, or that the caliber is insufficient overall?

Regardless, I wouldn't want 5.56mm coming my way.

Edited to add-

Alelks, Sir, did the cookoff happen after the weapon was used more for a suppressive type fire? I personally do not think that an M16 series weapon would cookoff after well aimed precision fire, even after multiple mags. If I am wrong, I feel lucky to have my toes after doing transition drills.