PDA

View Full Version : G2G or waste of cash?

Clay
12-29-2010, 20:55
Does anyone out there have experience with these pieces of kit? Read up a little using that all consuming monster called Google, but wanted to see about the vast knowledge and experience on this site. My searches haven't yielded anything, but If i just missed it a link would be much appreciated. Even though the search on tacos did have some interesting ideas for defeating various enemies and several good meal ideas.........;)

HSGI Taco mag carriers- looks like a good deal that would take any caliber you could throw at it, but at the loss of holding the mag securely???

Diamondback Tactical SOF MOLLE Assault pack- looks to me that it has all the features I'm looking for in a medium sized pack, but was wondering how well it would stand next to the Camelbak BFM 500, Eagle AIII MOLLE or Kifaru Marauder.

Granite Tactical Gear Special Mission Patrol- Same deal as the DB SOF. Looking for a pack in the 3000-3500cc range with Molle attachment points for use as an 11B. Haven't had a chance to check out the new medium assault pack Big Army is issuing for OEF yet; may have to wait and see.....

Any help would greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Clay

cmts58
12-30-2010, 00:53
You mean "site", abbreviation for "website".:munchin

Clay
12-30-2010, 19:49
Thanks CM. EDIT!

Surgicalcric
12-30-2010, 20:30
...HSGI Taco mag carriers- looks like a good deal that would take any caliber you could throw at it, but at the loss of holding the mag securely???

Purchased a couple on the recommendation of another QP here.

I have had several pieces of HSGI gear and the TACO mag pouches are what I expected. In addition, they hold every mag I have placed in them as secure as any other quick/ready mag pouch on the market.

Diamondback Tactical SOF MOLLE Assault pack- looks to me that it has all the features I'm looking for in a medium sized pack, but was wondering how well it would stand next to the Camelbak BFM 500, Eagle AIII MOLLE or Kifaru Marauder.

Dont have the DBT SOF pack but know several people who do and they have spoken highly of it.

Comparing it to a Marauder is apples to oranges as they are both designed for different niches. I own two of the Marauders, use each for a different purpose and they have held up well. They are expensive though...comparatively speaking.

Have an Eagle III-A as well and like the Marauder it has held up to several years (since 2005) of abuse and is still going strong.

Granite Tactical Gear Special Mission Patrol- Same deal as the DB SOF. Looking for a pack in the 3000-3500cc range with Molle attachment points for use as an 11B. Haven't had a chance to check out the new medium assault pack Big Army is issuing for OEF yet; may have to wait and see.....

Any help would greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Clay

Granite gear is solidly built. I cant speak to the SMP specifically but their Recce ruck is designed and built well. The shoulder straps are too thick for my liking though, for wear on patrol either with or without armor.

If you are looking for a pack for wear with armor I would look at Mystery Ranch's offerings. If you are looking for something for patrolling without armor I would stick to the ALICE or a medium framed (Eagle IIIA size) pack.

HTH,

Crip

Clay
12-30-2010, 22:24
thank you for the feedback Crip,
even being a young gun I prefer my Alice to the new MOLLE ruck......:D

Koa18B
12-30-2010, 23:55
I have a quite few DBT pieces and all have held up and stood test of time. first pack i got back in 2004 and it was excellent. Still is used as a spare pack that holds some essentials in my SUV.

Clay
01-01-2011, 18:30
Thanks KOA; which pack is it?

Koa18B
01-03-2011, 19:58
I have the original 3Day assault pack. There is a few different packs they offer now. I had originally wanted a RAPTOR but after seeing it in person i was disappointed with BlackHawk.

Also might want to look at Tactical Tailor. Pricing wise they are a bit more affordable and everything is made in the USA as well. I have had good experience with both companies.

Clay
01-03-2011, 20:14
Thanks!
I'm still doing my research. Looks like it's going to be a Kifaru or the DBT.