PDA

View Full Version : OPENED FOR INSPECTION BY USPS

Pete
12-21-2010, 13:32
OPENED FOR INSPECTION BY USPS

My monthly newsletter from The American Legion Post I'm a member of showed up today. It's only an 8 x 10 single sheet of paper folded to envelope size and held shut with two little stickies.

You can see where the two stickies were torn and new tape applied and then it was stamped "OPENED FOR INSPECTION BY USPS"

Hmmm, I feel safer already.

Masochist
12-21-2010, 13:39
At least you received it in original form, save a broken seal. Last package sent to me thru USPS was melted into a ball, encased in a USPS plastic bag stating "Sorry, your package has been damaged" (really?!?!) and kicked under my front stairs. When I finally found it and contacted the post office, they said there was nothing I could do because the package wasn't insured. :mad:

dr. mabuse
12-21-2010, 13:50

PR31C
12-21-2010, 13:58
there was nothing I could do because the package wasn't insured. :mad:

I know a little late for a shipping tip but, the USPS almost never pays even when the package is insured. The requirements to get paid are unreal. Check them out before shipping next time. Fedex, on the other hand, will pay with little problems for amounts under $500.00.

Disclaimer, I am a Fedex contractor.

mojaveman
12-21-2010, 14:02
I ordered some Match bullets via UPS from Sierra a few months ago and received a package that had been opened and then taped shut. It was missing one complete box of 100 bullets. I was a little upset so I called them and also went to one of the local offices. They didn't seem too concerned about what happened and told me there was nothing that they could do. I then contacted Sierra and they sent another box. I didn't get any notice that the parcel was inspected so just figured that someone at UPS was also a shooter. :mad: :p

JJ_BPK
12-21-2010, 14:09
OPENED FOR INSPECTION BY USPS

Hmmm, I feel safer already.

I think I'd go voice my displeasure and ask for a written explanation from the USPS Inspector General as to how a one page news letter from the American Legion warranted such stupid gestapo tactics...

I would also forward copies of the envelope to the American Legion Headquarters (local & National) and your elected representatives, asking for their input.

After I sent additional copies to the local news papers, TV stations, Breitbart's, and Matt Drudge news organizations..

All with cross indexed attachments and distribution list.

Big SIS and her goons have to be stopped.

:mad:

Ret10Echo
12-21-2010, 14:11
I know a little late for a shipping tip but, the USPS almost never pays even when the package is insured. The requirements to get paid are unreal. Check them out before shipping next time. Fedex, on the other hand, will pay with little problems for amounts under $500.00.

Disclaimer, I am a Fedex contractor.

Had an electronic device go missing during shipment through USPS. Tracking had it depart a shipping center in WV. It never arrived at my local P.O. Discussions with the Postmaster ensued...I was informed that packages are bulk loaded under a single barcode when moved from the distribution center (1-barcode = 65 packages). If anything is missing they don't know what it is, just that there is something not there. I was told that I would have take it up with the contracted shipping firm as it was THEIR responsibility. Fortunately, the company I ordered from understood and sent me a replacement FEDEX which arrived on-time and unscathed.

Oldrotorhead
12-21-2010, 14:44
I hate to pile on, but I will. I went to the PO to mail an over weight first class letter. PO person behind the counter weighs the letter and told me is was $.61. I paid them and left. This was on 14 Nov. this year. On 9Dec. the letter was returned to me for insufficient postage. Returned to the PO, was told the cost was $1.22 which I paid it is on it's way again. They just do a great job sometimes.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Paslode
12-21-2010, 14:45
None of the shipping services are perfect. Early this month UPS destroyed (2) electric fire place inserts, during the summer they delivered a box that looked like it went through a war. Today someone emailed me about their item being demolished by USPS and I packed it really well. Fedex picked up and lost USPS labeled packages.

My biggest complaint with USPS has been their lax tracking of packages, this year however they have done extremely well in respect to tracking.

The insurance claims as stated can be a bit dicey, but I find that with all the carriers.

But if they start doing this I'll quit mailing...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/18/opinion/18ravnitzky.html?_r=3

busa
12-21-2010, 17:23
And now for some good news, I was leaving Baghdad in June of 05 and used DHL to ship all of my cool guy stuff home. The gorilla box showed up about two months later, sands all cool guy stuff, I called DHL, they said send us an inventory and we will pay you for your missing property.

Surprise they did!! No questions, no problems. I was very impressed.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with DHL:D

mangler
12-21-2010, 17:59
Back in 2000 we were coming home from Kuwait. We hit Carson to de-mob and get on the charter flight to head home. Now we're sitting there on the plane and watch them take about 20 duffles off the plane and drive away with them. Get to home station and Top tells us that if our bags aren't in the pile then they'll be here tomorrow. Long story short- two days after I get a check to cover all the missing items UPS finds them in some back corner warehouse in Mexico City. Almost two years after that plane trip.

alelks
12-21-2010, 21:21
Darn it. Posted in the wrong thread.

Sorry!

SF18C
12-22-2010, 01:17
I will give props to my local USPS crew. The wife loves to shop online and while it may take a little longer I can’t recall damage or missing stuff. I live at the end of an APO with no UPS/FedEx options (custom taxes & fees...no way!)

USPS = United States Postal Service (the govies)
UPS = United Parcel Service (the brown truck guys)
FedEx = Federal Express
DHL = (D)alsey, (H)illblom and (L)ynn…the founders names

kgoerz
12-22-2010, 06:42
Ill have to side with USPS on this one. I shipped and received hundreds of packages. Only had one bad experience. Box was ripped open and several items were missing. Like a dumb ass, I put firearms parts as the contents of the box. The insurance is a scam. They would not pay because they could not prove what exactly was in the box. But you got to figure it would be impossible for them to pay out for missing boxes. If they did, people would just lie and say they never received my package.
Also if you receive a damaged box. Do not open it. The insurance is no good once the box is opened. Never had a package come up missing so I cant say how that works.

Buffalobob
12-22-2010, 07:00
Same here. USPS guy has been on this route for at least a decade and is really nice. Rings your doorbell if he thinks something is valuable so thieves don't come and get it off your porch. UPS delivery man bought my old Mustang as a project car for his son. Don't know the FedEx guy by name but he does a good job.

I will say that packages with bullets in them really get abused because cardboard just doesn't hold up well with that much weight.

1stindoor
12-22-2010, 09:04
We almost always try and go with UPS...the driver has been working our neighborhood for over 10 years. Always puts the box on the porch, rings the bell, calls if no one's home, and occasionally will write a "hello" on the box.

Ret10Echo
12-22-2010, 10:38
We almost always try and go with UPS...the driver has been working our neighborhood for over 10 years. Always puts the box on the porch, rings the bell, calls if no one's home, and occasionally will write a "hello" on the box.

The carrier has been great...it's the process by which it gets to my local Office that I have repeated issues with.

There is also that one annoying aspect of the neighborhood where each street begins the same numbering sequence over again, so for 120 homes there are about 10 other houses with the same house number....and similar street names. (That's not too smart from a 911-response persepctive)