PDA

View Full Version : A re-visit to Social Reform & Political Change we can all beleive in

wet dog
12-18-2010, 20:48
Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFNdy1rbeaw&feature=BF&list=PLCA39C4ECBCCD5486&index=1
Part 2 -
Part 3 -
Part 4 -
Part 5 -
Part 6 -
Part 7 -
Part 8 -
Part 9 -
Part 10 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoZXu-nlbzo&feature=BF&list=PLCA39C4ECBCCD5486&index=10
part 11 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRmcN1z_qOM
Part 12 -
Part 13 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Drq_-Fmwzc

Would be interested to reading what others might think, please enjoy.

tonyz
12-19-2010, 08:53
Enjoyed the film - thank you for posting - a young Barbara Stanwyck was a revelation to me.

As I understand it, Mr. Capra was a Sicilian immigrant - coming from a family with a somewhat similar background - I suspect that a distaste for big government was in his DNA.

I am continually reminded that the more things change the more they actually stay the same - on so many levels.

"...you're the one that was paid the 30 pieces of silver, have you forgotten that..."

Richard
12-19-2010, 09:13
"Mr Smith Goes To washington" was the film we always used in our Government classes with seniors.

On a similar note, we also used "Inherit The Wind", "To Kill A Mockingbird", and "Seabiscuit" in US History to foster similar discussion.

Such movies show that it isn't always necessary to pad a film with 'cool' CGI effects to tell a good story.

Richard :munchin

wet dog
12-20-2010, 23:40
Charlie Chaplin - 1940

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tz0gGgpSM8

Be sure to make popcorn, parts 1 thru 8.

Great film....

ZonieDiver
12-21-2010, 07:30
"Mr Smith Goes To washington" was the film we always used in our Government classes with seniors.

On a similar note, we also used "Inherit The Wind", "To Kill A Mockingbird", and "Seabiscuit" in US History to foster similar discussion.

Such movies show that it isn't always necessary to pad a film with 'cool' CGI effects to tell a good story.

Richard :munchin

Excellent thread. I love Meet John Doe and have used Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - when I used to teach government. I still use (parts of*) Seabiscuit in US History 2 and Tucker in economics. Kids aren't crazy about black and white movies, or think they aren't.

I also use Casablanca in US History 2. Many groan when it comes on... with the cheesy little model plane coming in for a landing. They are soon riveted, and most often, at the end when Ilsa gets on the plane with Victor, most of the girls in the class have tears in their eyes.

* We are not supposed to show movies in class, just "film clips" of 10-15 minutes.

Administrator: You should not show more than 15 minutes at a time.
Me: Why on earth not? Some parts must be seen completely and take longer.
Administrator: These kids don't have the attention span to allow them concentrate longer than that.
Me: Oh, pardon me. I thought we were in the "education business".

wet dog
12-21-2010, 07:36
We are not supposed to show movies in class, just "film clips" of 10-15 minutes.

Administrator: You should not show more than 15 minutes at a time.
Me: Why on earth not? Some parts must be seen completely and take longer.
Administrator: These kids don't have the attention span to allow them concentrate longer than that.
Me: Oh, pardon me. I thought we were in the "education business".

Use youtube, the clips run between 8 and 12 minutes each, allowing time for discussion unless we are teaching "longer attention span" courses in the instant point click era.

1stindoor
12-21-2010, 08:04
I loved that line...
Kids aren't crazy about black and white movies, or think they aren't.

I've watched quite a few "old" movies with my kids over the years...they discovered things called, "plots," "character development," "dialogue," and other gems that have been lost on the main stream Hollyweird movie.

ZonieDiver
12-21-2010, 11:14
Use youtube, the clips run between 8 and 12 minutes each, allowing time for discussion unless we are teaching "longer attention span" courses in the instant point click era.

I've made my own little VHS's from the full movies. I have lots of youtube links for a variety of things, but hate to depend on them. Youtube is always updating, and with our stupid IT rules, I cannot do the updates myself... I must put a request on the "helpdesk" and there is always at least a 24 hr turnaround!

(Our district started a new computerized attendance-online grade program this year. OF course, at the end of last year, due to budget cuts, we lost one of the three campus IT people... the "tech educator"... so everything takes longer now, and - of course - the online grading system does not work 'as advertised'!)

wet dog
12-21-2010, 11:59
I've made my own little VHS's from the full movies. I have lots of youtube links for a variety of things, but hate to depend on them. Youtube is always updating, and with our stupid IT rules, I cannot do the updates myself... I must put a request on the "helpdesk" and there is always at least a 24 hr turnaround!

(Our district started a new computerized attendance-online grade program this year. OF course, at the end of last year, due to budget cuts, we lost one of the three campus IT people... the "tech educator"... so everything takes longer now, and - of course - the online grading system does not work 'as advertised'!)

Brother, I'm actually afraid to ask what else is wrong with the "system".