PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a nice .22 Target Pistol

Team Sergeant
08-21-2004, 20:12
OK, I’m in search of a nice target pistol .22 I'd like to hear everyones ideas!

TS

Adam White
08-21-2004, 21:13
Now we're talking about something where I actually have some expertise and experience.

How much are you wanting to spend?

The Smith and Wesson Model 41 has a great reputation for accuracy and features for its price.

Moving cheaper, you can get a Ruger Mk II target pistol. There's not much to them, and many gripe about their ergonomics, but they will put the holes where you want them. Heck, I set the IL Junior free pistol record (which I doubt still stands this many years later) with a Mk II back in 1992 - against people shooting guns costing 3 times as much.

High end, I've always been partial to Hammerli and Pardini - both shoot like a dream and have been used by others to embarass me on many occasions. I am not aware of any American gun manufacturers in that category. There are also some good guns out of Russia. The differences in the models at this point are based on specific international pistol events, with features designed specifically with them in mind.

If you can find an old high standard target pistol - buy it. All of the old farts talk about them as a great cheap, accurate target pistol - kind of the benchmark for entry level guns in the sport.

I have never put it through its paces in a match - or seen it used in one - but I also own a Browning Buck Mark target pistol that is one helluva little gun, too.

-edited "back mark" to "buck mark" :eek: -

geronimo
08-21-2004, 22:31
I'll second both the browning buck mark or the ruger mark ll. Both are affordable, available and as accurate as you want them to be. They are also just plain fun to shoot!

Smokin Joe
08-22-2004, 00:14
TS,

I have this one, I love it, it shoots great! I highly recommend it, the Buck Mark, or the Ruger MKII

Team Sergeant
08-22-2004, 09:08
I forgot to mention I already own a Ruger Mk II, with a 6 7/8 heavy barrel. I consider this a little front heavy for beginners.

The Hammerli and the Smith & Wesson Model 41 look like they might fill the bill.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

TS

NousDefionsDoc
08-22-2004, 10:38
I believe in starting them out young as well, but TS, your girls are still babies.

You'll need two guns so they don't fight over them.:D

Ambush Master
08-22-2004, 11:04
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I believe in starting them out young as well, but TS, your girls are still babies.

When my kids were old enough to tell me when they needed to go to the bathroom, they got to go out into the mountains camping and deer hunting for 2 weeks. There they learned how to shoot pistols and learned what a gun would do when something got shot with it. I had Air.177 shooting Speed Plates when he was about 7 !!

My Colt New Frontier .22 is about the most favorite gun for the kids, with the Colt one bullet at a time unload and reload, I get more mileage out of the ammo. :D

NousDefionsDoc
08-22-2004, 11:08
I didn't mean they are too young to shoot, I meant they are probably too young to share one gun.:D

Adam White
08-22-2004, 20:39
I was surfing the web, curiously investigating Hammerli's current line-up, and came across this article: http://www.galleryofguns.com/shootingtimes/Articles/DisplayArticles.asp?ID=297 - just thought it might be of interest.

Roguish Lawyer
08-22-2004, 21:25
Yeah, I want one for Catwoman. Recommendations for a .22 for a novice female shooter, please.

Adam White
08-22-2004, 21:30
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Yeah, I want one for Catwoman. Recommendations for a .22 for a novice female shooter, please.

Chicks dig the Browning Buck Mark - its the only gun I own that I can honestly say has gotten me laid. Maybe that's why I'm so partial to it?

pulque
08-23-2004, 10:44
Can marksmanship with higher caliber pistols be improved from practice with a .22?

:o

NousDefionsDoc
08-23-2004, 10:50
TS have you considered just getting a .22 conversion kit for your master blaster?

Guy
08-23-2004, 11:03
TS have you considered just getting a .22 conversion kit for your master blaster?

Glock 17 though.

Ambush Master
08-23-2004, 11:04
My kids also like my Beretta 21.

http://www.berettausa.com/product/product_pistols_main.htm

Air.177
08-23-2004, 11:56
AM also has One of these that is a blast to shoot.

High Standard Supermatic Citation

Sacamuelas
Originally posted by Ambush Master
My kids also like my Beretta 21.
I have a Beretta 21 (.22LR)... It is very finicky concerning ammo brands. Otherwise, a great little pocket pistol - although I wouldn't use it for "target" practice.

Best thing about it, the barrel can be unlatched/pivoted and this allows for clearing/loading without having to rack the slide. This is a much safer and easier method than having to rack/clear a regular semi-auto. My wife enjoys this feature and I would recommend for new gun owners not familiar with semi-auto pistols/safety.

Nothing like the assurance of seeing the barrel hinged open and visually being able to confirm the chamber is empty/gun is not functional- especially with younger ones or less firearm familiar types.

Pulgue-
The answer is YES.

The Reaper
Originally posted by Guy
Glock 17 though.

Concur, get the Ciener .22 conversion.

I have 1911 .22LR match pistols, a Ruger, and the Cadillac, a Smith 41, and think you will find that the 41 is a match pistol, and weighs accordingly.

There are Ciener conversions for the Glock, 1911s (don't you still have at least one of those around?), the Beretta 92, the Browning Hi-Power, the AR15, AK, Mini-14, and Thompson SMG.

The conversions run from $199 to $250 in most cases, and swap out in seconds.

http://www.22lrconversions.com/

HTH.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
08-23-2004, 12:05
I would get the kit for whatever weapon will be the end item and go with that. One set of characteristics, one set of manipulation procedures, etc. One set of holsters, etc. Muscle memory should be considerably faster.

Just a thought.

Air.177
08-23-2004, 12:05
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
I have a Beretta 21 (.22LR)... It is very finicky concerning ammo brands. Otherwise, a great little pocket pistol - although I wouldn't use it for "target" practice plinking.

I Have had very few problems with the Beretta, Only when I fed it REALLY bad ammo did it hiccup. Thunderbolt, Wildcat, Viper, Yellowjacket, and Stinger have all worked just fine all of my life.

Air.177
08-23-2004, 12:15
Also, The SIG Trailside (http://www.sigarms.com/products/trailside.asp) line seem to be very nice pistols.

The Reaper
08-23-2004, 12:30
I would get the kit for whatever weapon will be the end item and go with that. One set of characteristics, one set of manipulation procedures, etc. One set of holsters, etc. Muscle memory should be considerably faster.

Just a thought.

Exactly. Makers for a great tactical trainer.

My M-16 .22 LR conversion kit stays in my ready bag. Runs like a top, and sounds like a suppressed weapon compared to the 5.56. I could dump an entire 30 round mag into the head of an E Target at 10 meters in one long burst. That cost less than three rounds of 5.56 Ball.

Once the AWB sunsets, and 30 round mags are available again, I may get a dedicated upper made for it.

Have you checked to see if H&K makes a conversion for your pistol? I know they have for several others.

TR

bberkley
08-23-2004, 13:43
You might consider a Marvel (http://www.marvelprecision.com/) conversion kit for 1911's, STI/SVI, or Para Ordnance.

Advantage Arms (www.advantagearms.com) makes the best .22 conversion for the Glock.

For a dedicated pistol I would probably choose the Ruger 22/45 4" bull in Stainless.

Adam White
08-23-2004, 13:58
Originally posted by The Reaper

There are Ciener conversions for the ...Beretta 92...

http://www.22lrconversions.com/

HTH.

TR

Sir, I'm not sure whether to curse you or thank you - looks like I'm out another $200. I had been blissfully ignorant of Ciener's Beretta conversions.

Adam White
08-23-2004, 14:00
Originally posted by Air.177
Also, The SIG Trailside (http://www.sigarms.com/products/trailside.asp) line seem to be very nice pistols.

Interesting - that seems to be the same pistol from my last link - but rebadged as a Sig.

Team Sergeant
08-23-2004, 14:03
Originally posted by pulque
Can marksmanship with higher caliber pistols be improved from practice with a .22?

:o

Very much so and much cheaper. Using a .22 during marksmanship practice will often show where the faults occur when firing larger caliber pistols. It’s hard to hide a “controlled jerk” when using a .22.

It’s also a step up from dry firing practice and a whole lot less boring.

TS

Team Sergeant
08-23-2004, 14:06
As you have astutely pointed out, it’s for another in my family.

TS

Air.177
08-23-2004, 14:09
Originally posted by Adam White
Interesting - that seems to be the same pistol from my last link - but rebadged as a Sig.
Sorry about that Man, same gun. I didn't check your Link. We have sold several of these guns in the past and they are every bit as nice as the Full house Hammerli guns that I have seen. I know that the ones we have had were marked as Sig with references to Hammerli throughout the included booklets. Nice pistols no matter who Posts them.

Sacamuelas
08-23-2004, 14:28
Originally posted by Team Sergeant

It’s also a step up from dry firing practice and a whole lot less boring.
TS

You just need to turn on CNN, ABC news, etc and it makes dry firing a WHOLE lot more fun. I can't tell you how many times I have dead centered James carville... Then dropped a mag and reloaded while tucker made a counter point. :p

Back to thread.....

Ambush Master
08-23-2004, 14:36
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
You just need to turn on CNN, ABC news, etc and it makes dry firing a WHOLE lot more fun. I can't tell you how many times I have dead centered James carville... Then dropped a mag and reloaded while tucker made a counter point. :p

Back to thread.....

Gotta be real careful doing that. I've got a friend that Center-Punched Johnny Carson on his Sony Trinitron with a Model 29 !!!!

Believe it or not, the Tube contained the 240gr 1/2 Jacketed HP !!

CrashBurnRepeat
09-13-2004, 22:08
I've got a whole collection of .22 LR's.

Starting at the top as far as accuracy goes,

Sig Trailside 6" barrel. GREAT PISTOL. Super trigger. Highly accurate. Downsides: The forward barrel weight slides off. The screw is plastic and strips out. Also the firing pin is susceptible, according to the manual if you dry fire it will break the pin.

Also the magazines are a pain in the ASS to load. The little plastic pull down pin is sharp, not rounded like ruger. Oh and it's not that hardy. My safety stuck and I pushed a little harder and SNAP, it broke off. So now I have to get it warrantied.

But super gun, I highly reccomend them.

Ruger 22/34 4" barrel
Great gun, highly accurate (as good as the Sig/Hammerli trailside), good magazines. Good balance.

Downsides: Trigger's not as good as the Hammerli, but a good gun. A lot less expensive than a hammerli. Definately the value leader.

Browning Buckmark - nice little gun, not as accurate as the others but a really fun gun. I think the accuracy come from the gritty, creeping trigger. (Sold this gun)

Ruger Single Action Six - Awesome gun, very fun, very accurate when shot well. Good trigger pull. Don't know why it's less accurate than the browning, it should beat it but doesn't. Probably a barrel issue.

Walther P22 - Fun gun, zero accuracy. Looks cool, feels good in the hand. Cannot hit the broad side of a barn with this one.

I'd get the Hammerli if you can swing it. They are spendy but nice.