PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Man Kills 104-Pound 'Unusually Large' Coyote

Paslode
12-14-2010, 09:44
Hunter Kills 104-Pound 'Unusually Large' Coyote
Coyote About 3 Years Old

POSTED: 4:56 pm CST December 13, 2010
UPDATED: 8:30 am CST December 14, 2010
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. -- DNA testing has confirmed that a large animal shot and killed by a hunter a month ago was an "unusually large" coyote, the Missouri Department of Conservation announced Monday.

The hunter killed the animal on the opening day of Missouri's November firearms deer season on Nov. 13.

Coyotes are legal game during deer season, so the hunter shot and killed it, the department said. But when the hunter got a closer look at the animal, he wondered if he had mistakenly shot and killed a wolf, which is a protected species in Missouri, the department said.

The hunter contacted the MDC, which tested the animal's DNA and determined it was in fact a coyote.

The MDC said the 104-pound coyote was about 3 years old.

To see a picture of the coyote, click here (http://mdc.mo.gov/newsroom/hunter-shoots-unusually-large-coyote-northwest-missouri).

http://www.kmbc.com/news/26121874/detail.html

mark46th
12-14-2010, 09:57
That's a big dog.

Richard
12-14-2010, 10:25
Wow - I've seen/shot a few coyotes in my time - closest to anything that big I ever saw was around 35-40 lbs. That one may be a hybrid - sure would've made my Australian Shepherds nervous.

I sent the link to a friend who is a coyote guru - Wyman Meinzer. I'll post what he has to say about it.

Richard :munchin

Dusty
12-14-2010, 10:53
That's a big dog.

When they have terminal mange and a couple days to dry out in the sun, they call 'em chupacabras.

Buffalobob
12-14-2010, 11:54
I wonder how good of a job they did on the DNA testing. The red wolf, as well as domestic dogs, can hybridize with the coyote.

The hunter did the right thing by contacting MDC even though it could have caused him a lot of grief.

Irishsquid
12-14-2010, 12:18
When they have terminal mange and a couple days to dry out in the sun, they call 'em chupacabras.

You sure you ain't from Texas? All that went down not too far from here...I could never believe they tried to pass those animals off as anything other than a dog or coyote.

Dusty
12-14-2010, 12:46
You sure you ain't from Texas? All that went down not too far from here...I could never believe they tried to pass those animals off as anything other than a dog or coyote.

Yep, I was born and raised north o' Big D where the jackrabbits were as big as chupacabras back in the day.

wet dog
12-14-2010, 13:22
Another explanation in seeing such a large animal is in investigating it's access to larger protein sources, (ie., other dogs, cats, garbage cans, Mcdonalds, Burger King, etc.). Larger human population of the midwest and west coast have produced larger predator.

Coyotes under most normal conditions eat mice, rabbits, other small animals, in short, not alot of enriched protiens with extra tasty fat.

mark46th
12-14-2010, 21:18
We shot one in Nevada while chukar hunting that went 60-70 pounds...

Ambush Master
12-14-2010, 21:33
NE Ft Worth area, with a HARD cool spell over the last few days!! We had a rather large Pack of 'yotes just on the other side of my fence several times!! They start off "Barking" like dogs trying to lure the Domestics out. After a while they start doing a "Pack Sing"!!

When I get them close enough to my fence, I launch a few "Bird Bombs" out amongst them!!!:D THEY GO NUTS...........and you can hear them running into the fence and the trees out there trying to get away!! They usually stay away for a month or so after that!!!:D:munchin

Later
Martin

PSM
12-14-2010, 22:38
Another explanation in seeing such a large animal is in investigating it's access to larger protein sources, (ie., other dogs, cats, garbage cans, Mcdonalds, Burger King, etc.). Larger human population of the midwest and west coast have produced larger predator.

Coyotes under most normal conditions eat mice, rabbits, other small animals, in short, not alot of enriched protiens with extra tasty fat.

I agree. Spring of this year we saw a 50-60 pound coyote in the Anza-Borrego desert. He pranced past our camp site, our dog watching, as if he owned the place (I suppose he did)...not at all wary like most. I figure he was well fed by the snow-birds. It's his nature and ours. Unfortunately, he will probably be the one that suffers.

Pat

Richard
12-15-2010, 18:12
Having grown up in NorCal where we actually used to shoot such varmints, this story reminds me of this old bit of wisdom.

The Sierra Club and the California Department of Fish and Game were presenting an alternative to the Sacramento and San Joaquin Valley ranchers for controlling the coyote population. It seems that after years of the ranchers using the tried and true method of shooting or trapping them, the Sierra Club from over in the San Francisco Bay area had come up with a "more humane" solution to this issue and wanted the ranchers to adopt it.

What they were proposing was for the animals to be captured alive. The males would then be castrated and let loose again.

The ranchers looked at each other in amazement for a couple of minutes...until finally...an old rancher in the back of the conference room stood up, tipped his hat back and said, "Son, I don't think you understand our problem here . . . these here coyotes we're talkin' about ain't f**kin' our sheep . . . they're eatin' 'em!"

Jgood
12-15-2010, 18:50
Thats some funny shit right there

What they were proposing was for the animals to be captured alive. The males would then be castrated and let loose again.

The ranchers looked at each other in amazement for a couple of minutes...until finally...an old rancher in the back of the conference room stood up, tipped his hat back and said, "Son, I don't think you understand our problem here . . . these here coyotes we're talkin' about ain't f**kin' our sheep . . . they're eatin' 'em!"

wet dog
12-15-2010, 20:55
Q: Why are there no bears in Africa?

A: Bears are Omnivores. They can do well eating either berries, herbs, friut or meat, small to large games. Bears can out dig the best badger, skunk or hog. In north America, they can take down large game - they hunt elk, deer, moose, mountain lion, and feed seasonally on fatty fish. They can run in burst of speed equal to a horse, damn near a quarter mile.

(Note to self: do not try to out run a bear uphill or down - on horse back or otherwise. Better to dismount, take careful aim, do not miss).

But I digress...

CA. OR, WA, NV, CO, WY, ID, UT, MT, AK, Russia - big food source, big bears.

In Africa, they could not compete with lions, hyenas and such as carnivores, nor could they compete with elephants, hippos, giraffes as herbivores. They lost on both accounts. Bears must be the dominate consumer of energy in either herb or meat. They never do well in second place. When you see bears, you are in wild places, unless of course, they are in your dumpster, which brings us to coyotes. When you have wolves around, coyotes populations stay manageable. In Wyoming, we lose maybe 1 piece of livestock to a wolf, we lose 10-12 by coyote. We like wolves.

500 Proof
12-16-2010, 14:54
The eastern coyote is noticeably larger than the western coyote because of it's interbreeding with wolves.

http://blogs.wvgazette.com/johnmccoy/2010/10/01/study-finds-wolf-dna-in-eastern-coyotes/

wet dog
12-16-2010, 16:30
The eastern coyote is noticeably larger than the western coyote because of it's interbreeding with wolves.

http://blogs.wvgazette.com/johnmccoy/2010/10/01/study-finds-wolf-dna-in-eastern-coyotes/

No surprises there.

A dog is a dog, is a dog, is a dog, and while any dog species can mate with another dog species. A wolf is more likely to eat a coyote than have sex with it. But wild things are by their nature, wild, and I'm sure the dog/coyote/wolf will be around long after mankind has, well,....

PedOncoDoc
12-16-2010, 16:36
A wolf is more likely to eat a coyote than have sex with it.

I can now add one more thing onto my, "list of things I have in common with wolves." :D

ETA: Although, in my case, both options are highly unlikely at this time.

Richard
12-16-2010, 17:24
I can now add one more thing onto my, "list of things I have in common with wolves."

Wellllll...there are some women I have met that if one of them was the last woman on the planet and I was the last man, they would be in the stew pot and I'd be attempting to establish conjugal relations with some coyote. ;)

And so it goes...

PedOncoDoc
12-16-2010, 18:36
Wellllll...there are some women I have met that if one of them was the last woman on the planet and I was the last man, they would be in the stew pot and I'd be attempting to establish conjugal relations with some coyote. ;)

And so it goes...

Hence my addition at the bottom of the post, and adding a new definition for, "coyote ugly." ;)

ETA: Although, in my case, both options are highly unlikely at this time.

Dusty
12-16-2010, 18:55
Q: Why are there no bears in Africa?

A: Bears are Omnivores. They can do well eating either berries, herbs, friut or meat, small to large games. Bears can out dig the best badger, skunk or hog. In north America, they can take down large game - they hunt elk, deer, moose, mountain lion, and feed seasonally on fatty fish. They can run in burst of speed equal to a horse, damn near a quarter mile.

(Note to self: do not try to out run a bear uphill or down - on horse back or otherwise. Better to dismount, take careful aim, do not miss).

But I digress...

CA. OR, WA, NV, CO, WY, ID, UT, MT, AK, Russia - big food source, big bears.

In Africa, they could not compete with lions, hyenas and such as carnivores, nor could they compete with elephants, hippos, giraffes as herbivores. They lost on both accounts. Bears must be the dominate consumer of energy in either herb or meat. They never do well in second place. When you see bears, you are in wild places, unless of course, they are in your dumpster, which brings us to coyotes. When you have wolves around, coyotes populations stay manageable. In Wyoming, we lose maybe 1 piece of livestock to a wolf, we lose 10-12 by coyote. We like wolves.

Never thought of it that way. Interesting, WD. :cool:

akv
12-16-2010, 19:28
The bear stuff is very interesting, but they have large carnivora lions, tigers, leopards etc, as well as elephants, buffalo and other large herbivores in India. I was pretty much read all the Jim Corbett books as a kid, and they often mention Indian bears?

wet dog
12-17-2010, 00:15
The bear stuff is very interesting, but they have large carnivora lions, tigers, leopards etc, as well as elephants, buffalo and other large herbivores in India. I was pretty much read all the Jim Corbett books as a kid, and they often mention Indian bears?

That would be the Himalayan Black Bear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himalayan_Black_Bear

Axe
12-17-2010, 06:48

I am no expert on bears. That said, I do sell some less-lethal products to the Bear Management folks with a couple of National Parks and in the course of business have of course talked about bears with them.

FWIW, I have been told that you are best off staying on the horse than dismounting when you have a bear as a threat. What reading I have done has supported that. The thinking is that you are perceived as a very big predator when on a horse-the horses mass makes you seem like a much bigger threat than the bear really wants to take on.

The folks I talk to say your odds of actually being attacked are much lower when on horseback. You may get bluff charged, but most likely will not get attacked.

Dusty
12-17-2010, 07:02
I am no expert on bears. That said, I do sell some less-lethal products to the Bear Management folks with a couple of National Parks and in the course of business have of course talked about bears with them.

The folks I talk to say your odds of actually being attacked are much lower when on horseback. You may get bluff charged, but most likely will not get attacked.

The least-legal product I'm gonna cavort with on bear turf is a Ruger Blackhawk .44 Mag.

The only think I'll count on the nag to do is alert me to Smokey's presence early.

Irishsquid
12-17-2010, 08:37
The least-legal product I'm gonna cavort with on bear turf is a Ruger Blackhawk .44 Mag.

The only think I'll count on the nag to do is alert me to Smokey's presence early.

Nothing says "I don't want to be lunch," like 1600 ft-lbs of force, huh? Maybe a .500 S&W, or a .45-70 (I'm a big-bore fanatic, can ya tell?)

Dusty
12-17-2010, 09:00
Nothing says "I don't want to be lunch," like 1600 ft-lbs of force, huh? Maybe a .500 S&W, or a .45-70 (I'm a big-bore fanatic, can ya tell?)

One caveat: A brown bear can outrun a .45-70 uphill.

;)

Richard
12-17-2010, 09:05

Concur - I like my Super Blackhawk .44 Mag w/7.5" barrel and Super X soft hollow points. I've had that pistol since 1973 and never had any sort of problem with it...other than my wife thinks it's too heavy and loud for her. ;)

Irishsquid
12-17-2010, 09:32
One caveat: A brown bear can outrun a .45-70 uphill.

;)

touche

wet dog
12-17-2010, 15:30
No bear expert, but I am on most accounts a horse expert.

Yes, a man on horse is preceived as larger, but I can see a train wreck happening long before is arrives.

One, horse jumps nervously wanting to leave area. Horse leaving in a hurry may result in me flat on my ass, a child thrown or worse, stepped on by horse leaving me or child injured, hurt and unable to do anything.

Two, shooting from horse = a good chance of a miss and another nervous horse scenario.

Three, pepper spray, loud horn, whistle, will result in me srapying my horse in the eyes making him a more of a liability then asset. Horn or whistle not much better. Spraying myself in the eyes, (wind change), resulting in me being bear food, after horse steps on me breaking my leg.

Four, a child running home on the only horse worth a damn, only to tell stories of dad shooting at a bear resulting in shooting his horse in the ear, being bucked off, landing on his ass, horse stepping on leg, dad pulls pepper spray, wind change, dad fought well, but not well enough. Horse returned home shaken, but un-injured, his .44 mag is for sale, cheap, used once in a bear fight.

All things being equal, I've instructed my boys to dismount upon seeing a bear, leave horse to do what any horse might do. Draw weapons from saddle, "Aim small, miss small".

Bear hide on cabin wall, great stories to tell others, of course we change the story each time we retell it.

I like wolves....., they keep the coyotes away.

Richard
12-17-2010, 15:37
...of course we change the story each time we retell it.

Ah - the SF way...with the aid of a dram or two of Macallan's Fine Oak 21 Year Highland Single Malt and the promise of a little female companionship, of course. :p :D

Irishsquid
12-17-2010, 21:22
Ah - the SF way...with the aid of a dram or two of Macallan's Fine Oak 21 Year Highland Single Malt and the promise of a little female companionship, of course. :p :D

Damn Sir...I love some Macallan, but who can afford the 21 year? Hell...I'm too cheap for the 12 year most days...and the 18 is only for special occasions...

Dusty
12-18-2010, 01:17
Damn Sir...I love some Macallan, but who can afford the 21 year? Hell...I'm too cheap for the 12 year most days...and the 18 is only for special occasions...

You could buy a stash of 12 today and hold on to it until for 9 years or until you get a better job-whichever comes first...

:)

Irishsquid
12-18-2010, 01:27
You could buy a stash of 12 today and hold on to it until for 9 years or until you get a better job-whichever comes first...

:)

Wouldn't be the same as cask-aging, though. It's not really a problem of income...just a problem of paying off all the wife's student loans.

Dusty
12-18-2010, 02:56
Wouldn't be the same as cask-aging, though. It's not really a problem of income...just a problem of paying off all the wife's student loans.

:D

BTDT

Buffalobob
01-03-2011, 18:15
Interesting companion article about a four foot long fox in England and the causes of it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20027038-501465.html?tag=latest

the giant fox is a possible indication of many scientists' fears that, as wild animals get better access to the easy food pickings found in human garbage, they will get larger in size,