PDA

View Full Version : CSM Ivan Ivanov

Odin
08-21-2004, 19:30
Gents,
I had the pleasure of briefly chatting with CSM Ivanov the other day down at range 74 here at Bragg. Anyways he was really a nice guy and offered me some good advice for selection and left a great overall impression of the quality of personel from your side of the fence. I felt like i was talking to somewhat of a legend so i have to ask, how is he regarded within the community? I hope in the next few years i come across more men like him.
have a good night.
odin

NousDefionsDoc
08-21-2004, 19:34
I told Odin it was ok to post the name, as the CSM isn't on AD anymore. If anybody disagrees, let me know and we'll edit the post.

NousDefionsDoc
08-21-2004, 19:37
NIGHTWACKERS ARISE!

LOL

Team Sergeant
08-21-2004, 20:02
Originally posted by Odin
Anyways he was really a nice guy

CSM Ivanov "nice"?

You sure it was Ivanov? :D

TS

Odin
08-21-2004, 20:21
i had a hard time believing he was a CSM. I realized i had stumbled on to somebody big when he told me he had designed SFAS.
odin

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-21-2004, 20:29
Originally posted by Odin
i had a hard time believing he was a CSM. I realized i had stumbled on to somebody big when he told me he had designed SFAS.
odin

Well Dick Potter will be glad to know that Ivan designed SFAS. His wife, Judy, was nice. You sure you're talking about the guy whose basic line was, "I've never been married but have five kids" Ivanov.

Odin
08-21-2004, 20:38
Originally posted by Jack Moroney
Well Dick Potter will be glad to know that Ivan designed SFAS. His wife, Judy, was nice. You sure you're talking about the guy whose basic line was, "I've never been married but have five kids" Ivanov.

I only spoke with him briefly so I dont really know anything about him. Besides, i figured that him being a retired CSM and that nothing bad had happened to me after 20 min meant i was tempting fate and that i better unass the AO.
odin

NousDefionsDoc
08-22-2004, 00:05
Originally posted by Jack Moroney
Well Dick Potter will be glad to know that Ivan designed SFAS.

The Night Wackers made him crazy sir, its not his fault.:D

Dan
08-22-2004, 08:36
As a young 18C I had caught a ride in his VW bug to a tasking and he seemed a likeable person. Other than that I never worked with him...he retired within a year of that (after 35 years I think).

I think those that knew him lost respect when his next job was a gate guard. My take was that after years as a CSM he was tired of the offices and wanted something outside.

NousDefionsDoc
08-22-2004, 09:21
I don't think the gate guard thing was a big deal for us, sure wasn't for me. Man can do whatever he wants after he retires.

The CSM had his own way of doing things. Better than some, probably not so good as others. I will say this, you didn't have to ask "Who's the Sergeant Major of this outfit?" when he was around.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-22-2004, 12:16
Folks have very strong opinions about CSM Ivanov some pro and others con. I never had any problems with him and when he wanted the troops to do something that was out of the ordinary I found him willing to do it with them. He put together a run to Raleigh for POW/MIA day. He ran his legs with me. That is the CSM in the front row, second from the right.

NousDefionsDoc
08-22-2004, 14:24
I see a couple of faces I know in that pic.:D

longrange1947
08-22-2004, 16:12
I'll just stay quiet on this one. :D

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-22-2004, 19:17
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I see a couple of faces I know in that pic.:D

Me too, but I won't tell if you won't.:D

Jack Moroney

Eagle5US
08-22-2004, 19:57
Did he have that fetchin POODLE with him when you talked to him :rolleyes:

Eagle

The Reaper
08-23-2004, 07:50
Ivan Ivanovitch, SF legend! Hahaha!

I have served with some better, and some worse, but it sounds like he is really stretching the truth a bit this time.

Wish he had some banana trees on his range.

Hey, JM, nice photo. I recognize quite a few people in it as well. It appears that was taken before Bronze Bruce was stolen.

TR

Max Power
08-23-2004, 10:50
Got to talk with him a while back as well out at Range 77. Good guy, didn't get too in depth, just shooting the shit (well, he was doing that, I was afraid as soon as he told me he was a retired CSM), watching all the O's walking around the bunker/trench complex.

longrange1947
08-23-2004, 16:37
TR - Now that was funny!

The Reaper
08-23-2004, 16:46
Originally posted by longrange1947
TR - Now that was funny!

If we keep this up, someone may have to explain the joke here.

TR

Kyobanim
08-23-2004, 18:18
Originally posted by The Reaper
If we keep this up, someone may have to explain the joke here.

TR

I'm waiting, it's probably pretty good coming from you guys.

Guy
08-23-2004, 18:34
I'm not getting involved. I got a serious "ass-chewing" from one of his proteges.

longrange1947
08-23-2004, 20:37
Originally posted by Guy
I'm not getting involved. I got a serious "ass-chewing" from one of his proteges.

So Guy, which one, Bone or Rambo? :D

BamBam
08-23-2004, 22:36
Ivan, legend as compared to what? I know the true identity the Bananna Whacker also the name of the Editor of the great underground news paper, THE BEND OVER DAILY, that circulated through 3/7 for a while. Anyone remember the Bn run to the ammo dump.

Guy
08-24-2004, 02:38
Originally posted by longrange1947
So Guy, which one, Bone or Rambo? :D

Damn! Why don't we just start a list...

Bone
Rambo
Horne
Ramirez
Weaver
and every E-9 on Ft. Gordon except the post CSM Holden who was in 5th Group in the early 80s.

longrange1947
08-24-2004, 05:31
Do i get the prize? :munchin

Guy
08-24-2004, 06:38
Those two had us guys confused. I try not to think about that time frame.:o

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-24-2004, 06:57
Originally posted by Guy

Well damn Guy, in some circles this would be considered a mark of distinction. In the case of some of those you listed that I have run into the only thing that they seemed capable of was pole vaulting over mouse turds. :D

Jack Moroney

NousDefionsDoc
08-24-2004, 07:20
Bone
Rambo
Horne (I assume you are talking about Bruce)

These are not in the same class as Ivan Ivanovitch. I didn't always agree with II, but he was an SF guy. These other three are not Brothers of mine. And in the immortal words of Forrest Gump, that's all I've got to say about that.

Guy
08-24-2004, 08:09
NDD:

I was talking about "Bruce" Horne, he was my first Co SGM. Horne and Tommy Batchelor use to go at it all the time.

TB was my first TS and every time Horne would tell me do something. TB would direct me to do opposite, that would set Horne off!:eek:

I would try not laugh while they were going at it but, I just couldn't hold it in.:D

NousDefionsDoc
08-24-2004, 08:15
I had that as a First Sergeant in SWC. I wasn't impressed.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
08-24-2004, 12:40
You know this is probably going to piss a whole bunch of folks off but what the hell I am out of range and deep in the woods. I can remember when I was but a wee 2LT that there were two ranks that I never really understood. One was warrants and the other was SGM. Warrants just seemed like a cranky old lot that worked in the motor pool or in supply and didn't want anyone to break their vehicles or mess up their supply displays. SGMs on the other hand seemed, and looked like, they spent their lives in the mess hall. As soon as I got into SF that perception changed, and real quick because those with whom I got to work were real folks with skills that I knew took years to hone. As I progressed thru the ranks and held different positions of responsibility when I saw a SGM (and specifically a CSM) that was an asshole so was the commander for which he worked. I never saw a piss poor CSM and a good CDR, but I have seen piss poor CDRs and good CSMs. Now I am sure each of you have your own observations on this, but there is no way in hell that I would tolerate some of those you all seem to hold in contempt as part of a unit for which I was responsible. So how do they survive?

Jack Moroney

kolchak27
07-01-2012, 18:25
CSM Ivan Ivanov was 1SG of HHC 1/75 ay Stewart in 78. I was a new Ranger Batt volunteer when assigned to HHC. I noticed his name on the company placard outside the orderky room and laughed to myself that the 1SG position must be vacant and as a joke they put a Russian name there. Imagine my chagrin when at my first formation the 1SG whose nametag I couldn't read said "Fallout. SP4 St.Clair I need to see you.". As I neared him I could now read his nametag "Ivanov"! Holy Shit! He drafted me to be his company clerk since I had college and could type. I was still a NAP and didn't figure I was in the position to argue with my new 1SG. Wise decision I made to hold my tongue as I got to intimately work with this SF Legend temporarily serving with 1st Ranger Batt. He was actually Romanian and was one of those early SF types who fled the Iron Curtain to fight communism. Later he became CSM of 7th SFGA and of JFKSWC.

Dusty
07-01-2012, 18:47
Later he became CSM of 7th SFGA and of JFKSWC.

...with an extreme hatred of black watchcaps. :D

kolchak27
07-01-2012, 20:13
Yeah, the man had his pet peeves as we all do. You know how everybody in a exhausting situation "man's up" and doesn't want to be the first one to admit he's tired? On my cherry blast with 1/75 - a mass tac/CE overload night jump in high winds into 29 Palms in the summer - it was fucking hot, okay? - i
I burned in rucksack attached. Then we started what must have been a 30 mile march in the sand, caterpillar all the way, with me and Ivanov at the rear. I was tired as shit but kept quiet especially as a newbie Ranger. Hours later 1SG Ivanov said quietly to me "St. Clair, I can't go any further" (I was like 21?, he was in his 40's). I kept quiet, really too tired to talk. We started marching again and went about 100 yards when the march ended. First one to say "I'm tired" loses, eh?

Paragrouper
07-01-2012, 20:14
Later he became CSM of 7th SFGA and of JFKSWC.

He visited us once at Camp Blanding when I was an instructor at SWC. I remember he asked me for directions to Macdill AFB. I reckon he found it--eventually.;)