PDA

View Full Version : Douglas Allen Smith Jr. is (Legally) Awesome

Masochist
12-12-2010, 18:33
Not trying to celebrate those who make changes like this, but the article briefly touches on the security aspects of things like this (notably his new signature).

FOR THIS MAN, BEING CALLED AWESOME IS NO JOKE
By Karen McCowan
The Register-Guard

Published: Monday, Dec 6, 2010 05:00AM

Eugene-Springfield, meet Captain Awesome.

Not that the former Douglas Allen Smith Jr. is a newcomer to Lane County.

He was born here in 1983. He graduated from Willamette High School in 2002.

But he officially became Captain Awesome only last month, when a Lane County Circuit Court judge approved his name change petition.

And his new first name is no title, he made clear in a recent interview.

“Hi! I’m Captain,” he said, making this story even more fun to write. Journalists refer to subjects by last name only on second and subsequent references. So, that’s Awesome!

Any reader who — like Awesome — watches the television show “Chuck” will not be surprised to know how he chose his new moniker. It was, indeed, inspired by a character on the NBC action/drama series: Dr. Devon “Captain Awesome” Woodcomb.

“I just thought it was really funny that Devon’s father always called him Captain Awesome because ‘a poor nickname builds good character,’ ” said the local Awesome, an out-of-work cabinet installer.

Awesome said he had to jump through an extra hoop to legally change his name. Most such requests are approved in informal “ex-parte” hearings with Lane County judges. In Awesome’s case, however, the judge who considered his name change in that setting balked at granting it.

That judge — whose name Awesome cannot remember and who is not identified in Awesome’s court records — questioned his seriousness. The judge also advised him to hire an attorney to represent him in a formal oral argument for the change.

But Awesome decided to go it alone. He felt confident after researching name change precedents at the University of Oregon Law School library.

He hadn’t counted on Lane County Circuit Judge Douglas Mitchell hearing his case, however.

“The first thing he said to me was that he thought Douglas was a perfectly honorable first name,” said Awesome (nee Douglas Smith). “I thought, ‘Oh my goodness — I’m screwed.’ ”

But Mitchell simply made him raise his right hand, swear that he wasn’t changing his name for fraudulent reasons, and proclaimed him Captain Awesome.

Mitchell also allowed Awesome to change his official signature to a right-pointing arrow, a smiley face and a left-pointing arrow. The state Department of Motor Vehicles actually accepted the cheerful new signature. But alas, his bank refused to honor it, Awesome said.

“They said it was too easily forgeable,” he explained.

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/updates/25594703-55/awesome-captain-douglas-judge-county.csp

1stindoor
12-13-2010, 13:57
Captain Awesome?...Nice...17 + years ago I had a long discussion with my wife. I told her (jokingly...'though she didn't know it) that I wanted to name my son Richard Edward...so when I was yelling, I could just say...

wait for it....

wait for it....

Dick Ed...for short.

Masochist
12-13-2010, 14:10
I'll have to make sure my future wife doesn't see this post. ;)

"But honey, no one in your family is named Richard OR Ed."

mangler
12-13-2010, 14:58
Only in Eugene does something like this happen. It truly amazes me that the Ducks made it to the national championship when 90% of the local populace acts like Captain Awesome.

Masochist
12-13-2010, 15:03
Only in Eugene does something like this happen. It truly amazes me that the Ducks made it to the national championship when 90% of the local populace acts like Captain Awesome.

Student-athletes are transient. It's those that stick around you should be worried about.

rubberneck
12-13-2010, 15:12

You need to get out more if you think they only live in Eugene. They're everywhere and reproducing at a rate greater than the rest of the population.

mangler
12-13-2010, 16:18
You need to get out more if you think they only live in Eugene. They're everywhere and reproducing at a rate greater than the rest of the population.

I know it. I grew up about 20 miles outside of Eugene and currently live just outside of Lane county (county Eugene is in) due to taxes and local liberal politicians. Unfortunately I have to go into Eugene just about daily as that is the closest place with a good Catholic school for my kids to attend.

rdret1
12-16-2010, 19:54
Thats almost as good as a candidate we had come through SFAS (twice), back in '89 or '90, who had his name changed to "Y". No first, no last, just "Y". He made SGM Hobson VERY angry one day when the SGM asked him what his name was. We laughed for a good 20 minutes before we could tell SGM that that actually was his name.