PDA

View Full Version : Look Familiar to Anyone?

Barbarian
12-09-2010, 07:42
I understand the desire to stick to designs that work well, but copying someone else's isn't very classy.:mad:

This is the SCHF3, manufactured by Schrade, designed by someone else.

mike-munich
12-09-2010, 09:00
A $40 copy of the awesome Reeves/Harsey GB knife...:rolleyes:

x SF med
12-09-2010, 10:06
A $40 copy of the awesome Reeves/Harsey GB knife...:rolleyes:

Not the faux-GB, the faux-Pacific, from the drop in th point on the spine, and the cuts in the handle.

It's sad that a well known and respected company like Schrade would stoop so low. I only have a couple of their knives, they may get traded off... Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but c'mon.

Barbarian
08-22-2013, 06:19
Bump.

Apparently, Taylor Brands (parent Co. of Schrade) has no shame. Looks like they're still doing this.

http://www.taylorbrandsllc.com/shop/schrade/fixed-blades/schf3/schf3-p-204.html

The_Mentalist
08-22-2013, 12:57
Boycott schrade. I will.

Irishsquid
08-23-2013, 01:58
As soon as I get my forge up and running this winter, I think I'm just going to stop buying knives from anyone, and only carry what I forge myself...

uspsmark
08-23-2013, 08:24
Taylor Knives is very close to where I live. I have a close, personal friend that works in their Marketing Dept. (specifically for Shrade). Is the original knife patented? If so, I'd like to let my friend know. I do know that Taylor only bought the Schrade name, no tooling, plans, etc. I have several prototype knives of theirs. If it comes down to it, I'll boycott them as well.

Barbarian
08-23-2013, 09:36
I do know that Taylor only bought the Schrade name, no tooling, plans, etc.

Yep. The old Schrade is long gone. The current Schrade's knife products are now made overseas, along with Smith and Wesson, Old Timer, Uncle Henry, and Imperial.

Oldrotorhead
08-23-2013, 10:00
USPSMark
"Is the original knife patented?"

Maybe not, but that isn't really the point. the point is that this knife company that is very large can't even make the effort to look at someone's work and make changes to improve it or at least make changes.
When ever possible and I can afford it I buy good quality from a US manufacturer or at least made in a friendly country.
On a little bit of a rant. Buying anything made in China when there is any option is short sighted, it damages America and is as bad as killing puppies for fun.

If you can't afford LaRue or Daniel Defense or another top tier manufacturer you can at least buy quality like Colt or S&W. Do the same with knives. If you can only afford $50 look in pawn shops or shop on line for something better. End rant.

orion5
08-23-2013, 12:37
Mr Harsey's words:

"I have the design rights to the Pacific and this right has not been sold or transferred to anyone as it remains with Chris Reeve. Chris Reeve has not sold any rights to his knives."

I'd recommend, uspsmark, you're careful how you question him on this.

Guymullins
08-23-2013, 13:03
USPSMark
"Is the original knife patented?"

Maybe not, but that isn't really the point. the point is that this knife company that is very large can't even make the effort to look at someone's work and make changes to improve it or at least make changes.
When ever possible and I can afford it I buy good quality from a US manufacturer or at least made in a friendly country.
On a little bit of a rant. Buying anything made in China when there is any option is short sighted, it damages America and is as bad as killing puppies for fun.

If you can't afford LaRue or Daniel Defense or another top tier manufacturer you can at least buy quality like Colt or S&W. Do the same with knives. If you can only afford $50 look in pawn shops or shop on line for something better. End rant.

It is very unlikely that a knife can be patented in any meaningful way, however a design can be registered and one can sue for copy write infringement or for "passing off" a product as someone else's. The big Shrade logotype would probably protect them from a passing off suite.

The Reaper
08-23-2013, 13:05
Taylor Knives is very close to where I live. I have a close, personal friend that works in their Marketing Dept. (specifically for Shrade). Is the original knife patented? If so, I'd like to let my friend know. I do know that Taylor only bought the Schrade name, no tooling, plans, etc. I have several prototype knives of theirs. If it comes down to it, I'll boycott them as well.

http://chrisreeve.com/#Pacific

Why don't you ask him if he has seen this, and why the Taylor knife is using so much of another designer's intellectual property?

Their conduct and theft of intellectual property is reprehensible, even if it is not technically illegal.

Frankly, the fact that the CRK Pacific is made in the USA and the Taylor is from Taiwan is a pretty big clue to me.

Count me in on the boycott, and let's get that word out to every military website out there. Maybe a hit to the wallet will change their minds.

TR

uspsmark
08-23-2013, 13:37
http://chrisreeve.com/#Pacific

Why don't you ask him if he has seen this, and why the Taylor knife is using so much of another designer's intellectual property?

Their conduct and theft of intellectual property is reprehensible, even if it is not technically illegal.

Frankly, the fact that the CRK Pacific is made in the USA and the Taylor is from Taiwan is a pretty big clue to me.

Count me in on the boycott, and let's get that word out to every military website out there. Maybe a hit to the wallet will change their minds.

TR

TR and the rest that have commented,

I only asked about the patent to see if that was a possible legal avenue that Mr. Harsey and Mr. Reeve could undertake. I agree that it is pretty low down and shameful to take another person's or company's design and throw your big logo on it and call it "your own". I certainly am a fan of Mr. Harsey and Mr. Reeve's edged weapons (which I found out about from this site), and their support of our Special Forces soldiers. I'm sure that I can do little to affect Shrade's business and manufacturing process, but I am going to voice my disapproval to them and to my friend that works there in a fairly high position in the company. I have some of their old line that was US made, but I don't support copying something that was designed by another and passing it off as your "own design". The fact that it is made in China/Taiwan doesn't bother me nearly as much as the fact that intellectual and artistic property was stolen. I, like the rest of you , would love to buy only American made items, but we know that's not always possible. One voice can become many, and I agree that we should boycott the company for what has transpired.

Barbarian
08-23-2013, 13:47
It is very unlikely that a knife can be patented in any meaningful way, however a design can be registered and one can sue for copy write infringement or for "passing off" a product as someone else's. The big Shrade logotype would probably protect them from a passing off suite.

In the States, knifemakers can take such claims to court, when their designs are registered. It rarely goes that far, though, as those accused of infringement typically concede to the designer, when contacted by an attorney.

However this turns out, though, it doesn't change the fact that Bill's design was stolen. Taylor will get none of my money, and I'm going to continue to spread word of this, so long as it's okay with Bill.

uspsmark
08-23-2013, 13:56
I just sent Schrade a message with links to both designs, asking them point blank if they copied the Chris Reeve design. Posted it on their Twitter account as well. Only way they can remove the comment is to block me, and if that happens then it's on with them for sure.

Bill Harsey
08-23-2013, 14:42
I just sent Schrade a message with links to both designs, asking them point blank if they copied the Chris Reeve design. Posted it on their Twitter account as well. Only way they can remove the comment is to block me, and if that happens then it's on with them for sure.

It's a copy, they stole the concept. We are engaging this legally and will take it to the mat.

The Reaper
08-24-2013, 13:45
Hmm.

I think the pics speak for themselves.

Since the Chris Reeve-Bill Harsey design came first, who is copying / stealing their work?

Schrade / Taylor, stealing intellectual property and knocking off blatant copies in Taiwan.

Schrade / Taylor should be put out of business. I will never buy another one of Schrade's / Taylor's knives again, and I own a few older Schrades.

TR

Papa Zero Three
08-24-2013, 14:50
I hate to say it, but I will bet you a beer that Schrades lawyers come back and say its different because the serrations and the handle are slightly different. I hope Bill's lawyers unload both barrels on Schrade for pulling this crap.

Bill Harsey
08-24-2013, 19:17
I hate to say it, but I will bet you a beer that Schrades lawyers come back and say its different because the serrations and the handle are slightly different. I hope Bill's lawyers unload both barrels on Schrade for pulling this crap.

It's a Trade Dress Issue for an overall concept which is unique in the knife industry. The little finger grooves don't matter.

I'm not looking for a problem, but when a unique design such as this one we did for 1st Special Forces Group Airborne is stolen, Chris Reeve and myself see this as theft.
The same kind of theft as someone breaking into your home and stealing your valued possessions that you worked long and hard to earn the money to be able to own... and then also stealing your bank account to keep using your money.

rubberneck
08-24-2013, 19:19
It's a Trade Dress Issue for an overall concept which is unique in the knife industry. The little finger grooves don't matter.

I'm not looking for a problem, but when a unique design such as this one we did for 1st Special Forces Group Airborne is stolen, Chris Reeve and myself see this as theft.
The same kind of theft as someone breaking into your home and stealing your valued possessions that you worked long and hard to earn the money to be able to own... and then also stealing your bank account to keep using your money.

Give 'em hell.

MK262MOD1
08-24-2013, 22:23

Bill,

I am damn proud to have one of your knives. It really means something to me. Give em hell.

mdpatterson
08-25-2013, 04:51
I'm sure there are those who don't know any better that will buy this blatant ripoff.......too bad they probably will never know the junk that they bought Vs. the real thing. I waited months to finally get my Pacific and it is by far one of my favorite knives. I would love to see one of those YouTube clowns that enjoy doing the to ridiculous torture tests put the real deal up against the fakes.

Mike

uspsmark
08-27-2013, 11:28
It's a copy, they stole the concept. We are engaging this legally and will take it to the mat.

Mr. Harsey,

Sorry I haven't been on in the past few days. I just received a message from Shrade/Taylor's today. "We did not copy this pattern and can discuss in full detail by phone or email." As you have already started legal proceedings, I feel that I shouldn't discuss my opinions or those on this board with my friend that works for them or with anyone else from Schrade/Taylor's. Please keep us updated as this goes forward. Thank you and Mr. Reeve for your support of our military in general and these dedicated QP's in particular. Your work is superb and your dedication to your craft is beyond reproach.

Team Sergeant
08-27-2013, 12:20
Mr. Harsey,

Sorry I haven't been on in the past few days. I just received a message from Shrade/Taylor's today. "We did not copy this pattern and can discuss in full detail by phone or email." As you have already started legal proceedings, I feel that I shouldn't discuss my opinions or those on this board with my friend that works for them or with anyone else from Schrade/Taylor's. Please keep us updated as this goes forward. Thank you and Mr. Reeve for your support of our military in general and these dedicated QP's in particular. Your work is superb and your dedication to your craft is beyond reproach.

That's nice, did you inform Shrade that they stole Mr. Harsey's design?

You will not be able to comment on here again because:

a. You are bothering women on this website.
b. You have lied about your "Special Forces" background
c. You are an idiot.

Bye Bye.

Do not contact me or anyone on this website again or I will post your real name, email address, IP address and all the messages, posts, twitter etc about you.

Have a very SF Day.

Team Sergeant