PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Cycloplegic

11Ber
12-08-2010, 20:55
While completing my SOC-T rotation in OK, I had an ER Dr. who was mentoring/allowing me full run under his observation/teaching an a#$load bring up the topic of properly performing a funduscopic exam. He brought up a great point that IOT fully view the retina and landmarks inside the eye, one needs to dilate the pupil. He then asked my counterpart and I what agent to use. Both of us quickly said atropine. He agreed but made us try to relate to our future jobs as 18D. We both gave the slack jaw look. He then explained long lasting cycloplegic properties of atropine and how that would very negatively, possibly, effect our mission to have guys with blown pupils. Great if a night mission :rolleyes:. Anyway, he mentioned an alternative drug that causes temporary dilation, enough to complete an exam.
Fast forward to a week or so ago and I am doing a funduscope exam on one of my guys for a WOC packet and I laughed to myself. However, I have not been able to remember the drug. I am thinking it was benadryl but I just can't remember for sure. I am hoping some Dr or fellow 18D can point me in the right direction. I just like being thorough with my exams. And it's bugging the living hell out of me. Oh, and I was going to email the Dr in OK but I can't find his email for the life of me.

farcefiasco
12-08-2010, 21:34