PDA

View Full Version : Small unit dominance

JSMosby
12-07-2010, 16:41
Interesting article here, especially when comparing this officer's experiences in Vietnam to current action in AFG.

http://www.armedforcesjournal.com/2010/10/4757970

"In July, I watched the Afghanistan war documentary “Restrepo” play out on the screen and compared it to my experience decades ago: same type of unit (airborne light infantry), same lousy rifle (M16/M4), same helicopter (CH-47), same machine gun (M2), same young men trying to deal with the fear of violent death. Seared in my brain is the image of a young soldier at Fire Base Restrepo hacking away at hard clay and granite trying frantically to dig a fighting position. The U.S. is spending more than $300 billion on a new fighter plane. We haven’t lost a fighter pilot to enemy action since 1972. Why after nine years of war can’t we give a close-combat soldier a better way to dig a hole? For that matter, why do soldiers exiting fire bases not have some means of looking over the next hill? Why doesn’t every soldier have his own means to talk to his comrades by radio? Why can’t soldiers on a remote fire base detect an approaching enemy using sensors? Why can’t soldiers rely on robots to carry heavy loads and accomplish particularly dangerous tasks? I could go on, but you get the point."

mark46th
12-07-2010, 17:42
JMos- Couldn't agree more about the foxhole . A grenade sized shaped charge? I thought they were working on something like that back in the 1970's.

Did you mean losing an aircraft in air to air combat? We have lost aircraft to groundfire...The big one was the F-17 in Kosovo...