PDA

View Full Version : Rucking on a treadmill while deployed

Suivez Moi
12-06-2010, 02:22
I am currently in Iraq on a small FOB. I have been trying to find a battle buddy to ruck with me with no luck. Is ruck marching on a treadmill a good idea or is there a reason I should not do it?

I searched the forum and did not come up with any results.

Dusty
12-06-2010, 02:38
I am currently in Iraq on a small FOB. I have been trying to find a battle buddy to ruck with me with no luck. Is ruck marching on a treadmill a good idea or is there a reason I should not do it?

I searched the forum and did not come up with any results.

Do you ascertain a difference between rucking in sand (or on a road) and rucking on a treadmill that would cause physical damage?

Personally, I don't; if I were in your position, I'd ruck on a treadmill or up and down stairs or even "in place" if I had to do it to stay in condition in the event I needed to be in good enough shape to save my ass.

However, I'm not a Medic-there may indeed be a caveat of which I'm unaware.

Surgicalcric
12-06-2010, 06:30
...Is ruck marching on a treadmill a good idea or is there a reason I should not do it?

Drive on but understand that rucking on a treadmill is very different from rucking on the road or over rough terrain, just like running. While it is better than nothing I wouldn't show up to Camp McKall expecting to enjoy SFAS too much.

HTH,

Crip

Fatum Me Ducat
12-06-2010, 06:33
Not a medic, dr, etc...
You'll be fine unless you fall down (seen it happen... funny stuff:D). The only thing you really have to worry about is the normal wear and tear your body takes from rucking as in any other environment. The treadmill will take the worst of it. Most PFC's don't allow you to wear boots on the treadmill with rucksacks because it tears up the equipment quicker.

Suivez Moi
12-06-2010, 09:36
Not a medic, dr, etc...
You'll be fine unless you fall down (seen it happen... funny stuff:D). The only thing you really have to worry about is the normal wear and tear your body takes from rucking as in any other environment. The treadmill will take the worst of it. Most PFC's don't allow you to wear boots on the treadmill with rucksacks because it tears up the equipment quicker.

I didn't think of the gym not allowing it. That is definitely something to consider.

Surgicalcric: I understand and I wish there was a better way of doing it. I have been bugging everyone in my platoon since we got here to go run and ruck with me.

We don't have any stairs here on the FOB. Everything is one story.

Thank you for the responses.

Dusty
12-06-2010, 09:47
I have been bugging everyone in my platoon since we got here to go run and ruck with me.

Just outta curiosity, Bro-how does the rest of your platoon stay in shape?

Pete
12-06-2010, 10:06
Small is relative.

Even something with a walkable interior of a 100 meters per side gives you a 1/4 mile +/- track - and at least the view changes.

People might look at you funny but on a small FOB the word should get around pretty quick you're going out for SFAS.

If Plan A, the tread mill, falls through you can revert to Plan B walking the inside perimeter.

Suivez Moi
12-06-2010, 14:49
Just outta curiosity, Bro-how does the rest of your platoon stay in shape?

Most of them are either out of shape or all they do is lift weights. Some of them run on the treadmill but most of them don't. We spend a lot of time out on missions and most of them just sit around when we come back if there is nothing else to do.

I am the lowest ranking person in the platoon but I have been giving everyone crap about being out of shape. Two guys have started coming with me to the gym and my section sgt goes pretty often now. None of them want to ruck with me or run outside though.

Suivez Moi
12-06-2010, 14:59
Small is relative.

Even something with a walkable interior of a 100 meters per side gives you a 1/4 mile +/- track - and at least the view changes.

People might look at you funny but on a small FOB the word should get around pretty quick you're going out for SFAS.

If Plan A, the tread mill, falls through you can revert to Plan B walking the inside perimeter.

Small is relative is very true. I could just walk around the LSA that I live in. It would be a good workout since it is all deep gravel.

There are a lot of people that are going to SFAS so it is not a big deal. I have never seen anyone ruck marching though. Most of them are waiting until it gets close to the time we re-deploy. Doesn't make any sense to me.

The Reaper
12-06-2010, 15:42
Small is relative is very true. I could just walk around the LSA that I live in. It would be a good workout since it is all deep gravel.

There are a lot of people that are going to SFAS so it is not a big deal. I have never seen anyone ruck marching though. Most of them are waiting until it gets close to the time we re-deploy. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Trust me, the gravel is something you should get used to walking and running on.

Be careful with your ankles, though.

TR

Surgicalcric
12-06-2010, 17:53
Most of them are either out of shape...

Round is a shape...

Crip

Dusty
12-06-2010, 18:31
Most of them are either out of shape or all they do is lift weights. Some of them run on the treadmill but most of them don't. We spend a lot of time out on missions and most of them just sit around when we come back if there is nothing else to do.

I am the lowest ranking person in the platoon but I have been giving everyone crap about being out of shape. Two guys have started coming with me to the gym and my section sgt goes pretty often now. None of them want to ruck with me or run outside though.

That's a good start...

wet dog
12-06-2010, 19:33
None of them want to ruck with me or run outside though.

Don't sweat the small stuff, running and rucking, is well, kind of a individual task anyway. Put on the weight, try to stay injury free, do what your Plt Sgt, and Plt Ldr. say, stay safe, thanks for putting on the uniform and serving this great country.

Trust me, you will not always be the lowest ranking person.

Suivez Moi
12-07-2010, 10:03
Roger.

Thank you for the replies. You guys are a huge motivation to me.

Ronin3790
12-14-2010, 06:43
If I may make a suggestion, you may also try squats in differing variations. You could also combine that with rucking on the treadmill or around your small FOB. Also, as an added measure, you should fatigue the muscles involved in rucking from toe to head. An example would be something like this:

All exercise are performed w/80lb ruck and to failure(not being able to correctly perform the exercise any longer)

toe raises (heels planted on the ground and raise toes) can use a resistance band
calf raises (heels hanging off step/stool and dropping below the top level)
stiff legged deadlifts(use ruck or barbell w/weights for resistance)
upright rows
400 meter speed ruck(walking as fast you possibly can without running)

2 minute rest

toe raises
calf raises(from the ground)
good mornings
shoulder shrugs(use ruck or barbell w/weights for resistance)
400 meter speed ruck

This goes on for two more sets with differing exercises but finally ends with an 800m speed ruck. So far I have only measured the results on a three mile ruck course but in a matter of a month performing this twice a week i went from 44 minute three miler to a 42 minute three miler.....any opinions? Critique from those who have been there would be greatly appreciated to inform me as to rather or not my "outside the box" thinking is effective or way out in the hinterlands.

upright rows

Boomer-61
12-14-2010, 07:37
I am not a soldier any more. When I have a trip that I need to "get in shape for" and time and space are limited I wear my kit around the house from the time I get home until I go to bed. I know it's not sexy but what I'm looking for is time under load and for me, that is the only way I can get in some training before I go on a trip. Just a suggestion. Good luck with your training.

Richard
12-14-2010, 07:58
Joe Alderman wouldn't use gyms to train - said he'd never fought any wars in any gyms so we were gonna train in the equipment and environment in which we were expected to perform - hot, cold, rainy, dry, humid, snow...didn't matter.

https://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/Hall_of_fame/HallofFame4/master_sergeant_alderman.htm

Maybe I don't wholly understand the issue as I never had the privilege to deploy with a tread mill - guess things have changed some.

Richard :munchin

The Reaper
12-14-2010, 08:15
If I may make a suggestion, you may also try squats in differing variations. You could also combine that with rucking on the treadmill or around your small FOB. Also, as an added measure, you should fatigue the muscles involved in rucking from toe to head. An example would be something like this:

All exercise are performed w/80lb ruck and to failure(not being able to correctly perform the exercise any longer)

toe raises (heels planted on the ground and raise toes) can use a resistance band
calf raises (heels hanging off step/stool and dropping below the top level)
stiff legged deadlifts(use ruck or barbell w/weights for resistance)
upright rows
400 meter speed ruck(walking as fast you possibly can without running)

2 minute rest

toe raises
calf raises(from the ground)
good mornings
shoulder shrugs(use ruck or barbell w/weights for resistance)
400 meter speed ruck

This goes on for two more sets with differing exercises but finally ends with an 800m speed ruck. So far I have only measured the results on a three mile ruck course but in a matter of a month performing this twice a week i went from 44 minute three miler to a 42 minute three miler.....any opinions? Critique from those who have been there would be greatly appreciated to inform me as to rather or not my "outside the box" thinking is effective or way out in the hinterlands.

upright rows

You should probably read the rules again and comply before posting again.

TR

Richard
12-14-2010, 08:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBJXlnhcG14&feature=related

And so it goes...;)

Richard :munchin

Ronin3790
12-14-2010, 08:57

TR
You guys are brutal....I filed in my profile info. Didnt fill it out before because I never felt the urge to post. Been using that search function yall are so adamant about.

Ronin3790
12-14-2010, 09:00
Joe Alderman wouldn't use gyms to train - said he'd never fought any wars in any gyms so we were gonna train in the equipment and environment in which we were expected to perform - hot, cold, rainy, dry, humid, snow...didn't matter.

https://www.benning.army.mil/rtb/Hall_of_fame/HallofFame4/master_sergeant_alderman.htm

Maybe I don't wholly understand the issue as I never had the privilege to deploy with a tread mill - guess things have changed some.

Richard :munchinI totally agree but I thought the most important of unconventional warfare was to take advantage of all that u have available and make it work for you.

The Reaper
12-14-2010, 09:04
You guys are brutal....I filed in my profile info. Didnt fill it out before because I never felt the urge to post. Been using that search function yall are so adamant about.

Did you read the board rules?

You seem to be missing an introduction. Turn your SA on.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3452

You also seem to have missed the several times per week we point this out to a new member.

Less brutal than wanting to know who we are dealing with.

TR

Dusty
12-14-2010, 09:04

Following simple instructions is an art.

GreenSalsa
12-14-2010, 11:19
Before you start rucking on a treadmill think about your buddies--the weight we are talking about will most likely tear up your machine and then EVERYONE will be lacking a treadmill.

Don't screw up one of the only pieces of recreation "down range" for your personal benefit.