View Full Version : SF @ JFK Funeral
ODA CDR (RET)
12-03-2010, 07:38
Had an old CSM email me with this question. He watched a clip of the JFK funeral on TV last night and noticed a couple of SF NCO's walking with the casket. I found a clip on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiqrUMvxbbs&feature=related, at approx. 5.53 minutes into the video you can see them. Too fuzzy for me to be sure even. Does anyone know their names?
Had an old CSM email me with this question. He watched a clip of the JFK funeral on TV last night and noticed a couple of SF NCO's walking with the casket. I found a clip on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiqrUMvxbbs&feature=related, at approx. 5.53 minutes into the video you can see them. Too fuzzy for me to be sure even. Does anyone know their names?
I'm trying to load an old thread which ID's SGM Francis Ruddy as one of them. You can input "Ruddy" in search, and it will come up. I seem to be unable to load it at this time.
The second post on the following thread ID's SGM Francis Ruddy as the Soldier who placed the Beret at the funeral:
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18084&highlight=ruddy
There was a "Platoon" of SF sent for the JFK funeral - 38 in the march unit following the caisson bearing his flag draped casket - the SF contingent was in the 3rd marching unit.
Third march unit
US Air Force Band (91)
Representatives, 22 national veterans' organizations
Platoon, Special Forces, US Army (38)
Company, US Marine Corps (89)
http://www.history.army.mil/books/Last_Salute/Ch23.htm
Richard :munchin
ODA CDR (RET)
12-03-2010, 08:41
Thanks guys. Hey Dusty I remember you from C-2/7, glad your still kicking.
Thanks guys. Hey Dusty I remember you from C-2/7, glad your still kicking.
Roger, Sir-hope you're OK.
219seminole
12-03-2010, 19:44
One of the SF NCOs would be SFC Thomas Courtney. When I was with C/2/327 at Ft Campbell in 74-75, he was the 1SG. Hanging on the wall behind his desk was a photo of him marching next to the caisson. In late 75 he was promoted to CSM. He was a hell of a soldier.
Posting the following per email request:
SGM Francis Ruddy did place his beret on the grave at JFK funeral. The beret is now on permanent display at the JFK Library and Museum in Boston.
Bill Fanaras - sends
D4165L
Boston- Chapter 54