PDA

View Full Version : current info regarding NG to SFAS path?

jmc59
12-02-2010, 20:39
I swore I would never post in fear of not following the rules but I have spent a lot of time both on here and out on the world wide web trying to find some "hard facts" info. I found some answers on here however they are a bit dated and as I know the SF community is ever changing and adapting I was hoping for a little more current info.....Now for the question...

Joining the Guard SF units with hopes of selection, how does that work? I have been told that the best way is join the unit in a support job (MOS) in HHC. Then train with the "REC" company and when they/you feel your ready you work on getting a selection date. Then if successful it's off to the "Q" and then your dreams have come true! Does this seem correct? To be more specific it NG SF in Utah. Any help would be great, its probably a little late now as I have already joined the NG with a support job in 19th group, but some reassurance would be nice. Thanks again for your help/ answers!

The Reaper
12-02-2010, 20:41
Have you done any searching, reading, or spoken with a recruiter?

You have only been here for a month, have you read all of the Guard threads already?

TR

wet dog
12-02-2010, 20:45
I swore I would never post in fear of not following the rules but I have spent a lot of time both on here and out on the world wide web trying to find some "hard facts" info.

What has your Unit Readiness NCO or Unit Trainer told you? Have you reported to your first MUTA?

Why are you here?

jmc59
12-02-2010, 21:00
disregard, thanks for the help, should have known better.

Surgicalcric
12-02-2010, 21:01
The process hasn't changed since I joined in 2003.

The best way to get to SFAS in the NG is open to interpretation.

Go back and re/read the threads about NG SF and enlisting. You missed something...go find it.

Crip

Eagle5US
12-02-2010, 21:16
disregard, thanks for the help, should have known better.
Should have known better than what???:confused:

The more appropriate answer is should have searched better / done better / read better.

The folks here are all about helping...those who help themselves FIRST.

Think about it.

Eagle

kawaishi
12-06-2010, 10:12

reconscout
05-11-2011, 15:30
By far getting into SF in the National Guard has been the hardest thing I’ve done in my military career. I’ve done spoken with the unit and recruiter but all the steps in between have been nearly impossible. I have to raise GT score 5 points and to get a test done is like pulling teeth. Because the test administrator will be gone till august. I’ve been hitting the gym like crazy 4 hrs. a day and rucking twice a week. I’m walking about a ten minute mile now. All the Admin. Stuff is killing me with this lax National Guard. I made my mind up in 2003 to go SF but never got the chance because life always throws a curve ball your way and you hace to deal with it. Now I have all the time in the world to do it and I refuse to let admin crap get in the way.
If anyone has any tips or suggestions please help

The Reaper
05-11-2011, 19:13
By far getting into SF in the National Guard has been the hardest thing I’ve done in my military career. I’ve done spoken with the unit and recruiter but all the steps in between have been nearly impossible. I have to raise GT score 5 points and to get a test done is like pulling teeth. Because the test administrator will be gone till august. I’ve been hitting the gym like crazy 4 hrs. a day and rucking twice a week. I’m walking about a ten minute mile now. All the Admin. Stuff is killing me with this lax National Guard. I made my mind up in 2003 to go SF but never got the chance because life always throws a curve ball your way and you hace to deal with it. Now I have all the time in the world to do it and I refuse to let admin crap get in the way.

For starters, I would recommend a lot less gym time and a lot more rucking.

There is no student gym at Camp Mackall and you will not be required to do many gym exercises there.

Follow the SWCS pre-SFAS program to get into shape for SFAS, or whatever your cadre tells you.

TR

wet dog
05-11-2011, 20:39
All the admin. stuff is killing me with this lax National Guard.

I made my mind up in 2003 to go SF,...

Now I have all the time in the world to do it and I refuse to let admin crap get in the way.

Nothing lax about the National Guard:

* 90% are former AD soldiers
* National Guard makes up 1/3 of current Special Forces strength
* National Guard continues to deploy to others areas of the world in addition to OEF, GWOT commitments in order for AD SF soldiers to have some down time with families. National Guard has one mission, Obey Orders, period.

Now if you think they have not done thier part, I suggest you do your part. Find where the ASVAB test is being taken, maybe its three states away,. I suspect it is given twice a months in learning center in a city near you. Look for other avenues to locate, be creative. Take the test, obtain the results, deliver results to Admin office.

Maybe with a little luck, you too can be the Tm S1 before you make Team Sergeant. Maybe it will happen before another 10 years goes by, or other curve balls start heading your way.

Good luck.