PDA

View Full Version : Leader Books

Fonzy
12-02-2010, 18:23
Gentlemen,
This isn't my first deployment, but this is the first time I'm being given control of a squad. Kind of anxious, but I'm trying to get as much squared away pre-mob as possible.
I did a search for "leader books" and nothing came up. I've been looking around online and seen tons of high-speed examples, but I'm looking for a bare bones model I can get started on. A lot of the one's I've seen has had things like pages and pages on unit history, mottos, etc.
I was thinking along the lines of starting with:
Personal Data sheet (general data, wife/children/annivesary, clothing sizes)
PCC list (TA-50, medical/financial forms, etc)
Civillian / Military schooling, trade schools
Sensative equipment list
Weapons Qual / drivers liscences
APTF data
A place for initial and follow up counceling sheets
Alert Roster (both for company and for indivial soldiers).

I was wondering if there was anything I was overlooking or something else that you gentlemen found handy to have around. Trying to look to have all my data in one location so when Top says "hey we need you to go to your guys and get X and Y" I can pull out my leaderbook and say "Not a problem, already have it here".

Greatly appreciate any advice gentlemen.
SGT Fonzy.

NoRoadtrippin
12-02-2010, 21:01
As a PL and now as an XO, I know that I have found creating my own product as being the best way to go. I would recommend downloading/buying/copying as many as you can and then building what you want with elements from each. No need to reinvent the wheel, but find ways to make a better wheel.

You can use Excel, or the like, to create some excellent smart card type items to carry lots of PAX and equipment information. I built an entire CO task org the other day and then told Excel to print it the size of a 3x5 card. Fits right in with the other index cards I carry throughout the day to capture information.

Ranger Joe's carries some good sensitive item cards that they sell to the studs headed to school. We used them everyday. Again, IMHO, these have plenty of room for improvement as you could customize it to your unit needs once you see their current product as a template.

For tactical quick reference, the 3x5 card holder made by OSOE <http://www.originalsoegear.com/3x5.html> is awesome, IMHO. I wear it right on my vest and it gives me 4 cards worth of information at my finger tips.

Hope some of that is useful.

NoRoadtrippin
12-02-2010, 21:06
I have an alibi...

Check out DTMS as well. Depending on how much your unit makes use of this system, there might be a lot of room left for you to capture information in there. The Soldier profiles area has tabs for almost every single piece of information you are looking for. An issue I can't speak to would be the level of rights your CoC is willing to let you have. If your PSG or PL would let someone in there to capture the information, it could be a huge resource at your fingertips. From there, you could potentially cull it and print it in a usable format.

ksboi
12-03-2010, 00:56
Send me a PM with your email address and I will email one to you.

Masochist
12-03-2010, 15:15
As a PL and now as an XO, I know that I have found creating my own product as being the best way to go. I would recommend downloading/buying/copying as many as you can and then building what you want with elements from each. No need to reinvent the wheel, but find ways to make a better wheel.

x2

As a former SL and PL, I've found the same path the best way to tailor things to suit your own needs. The ones with unit history and all are cute, but searching for individual items and piecing them together seem to be a better route.

If you're looking for a specific thing (PT tracker, weapons tracker, soldier data sheets, etc.) feel free to PM me. I have various of each that I've culled from the web and other soldiers.