PDA

View Full Version : Instep Pain

RockSolid
12-01-2010, 11:47
Ive been really trying to focus on increasing my speed of my ruck marches. It seems anything over 4.1 mile an hour pace kills my instep. The pain is similar to a cramp that literally occurs within a minute of cranking the pace up to 4.2 miles per hour +.

Ive did some Google'ing and searched this site as to solutions. I haven't found anything that seemed to apply.

The pain is bearable but starts to get like a cramp and therefore slows me down.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced something along the same lines. Let it be known I'm training in motion control cross-training / running shoes, and I do have slightly flat feet.

Thanks,
RS

mils
12-01-2010, 11:54
Get some ninja vibram five fingers and strengthen your feet. I know a lot of guys don't want to put em on, but the overall strengthening benefits to your feet and ankles in addition to helping correct gait and posture is too much to overlook.

You can achieve the same thing by walking barefooted in the grass, and moving up to running short intervals barefooted. I've been doing this since my freshman year of high school cross country.

I know I make it sound like a panacea, but the extent of my injuries in the military have all been from my low back and up, and I attribute this to the methods above.

Masochist
12-01-2010, 12:19
If you decide to go the Five Fingers route, be sure to use the search button on here about them and heed the many warnings about starting slow. Last thing you need is busting everything because you were impatient and end up with six or more months of no running.

Make sure you're stretching your arches just like anything else you work out. Without proper stretching, muscles and tendons get tighter and shorter over time. Push them back to their original length by ramping up the speed, and it's going to hurt.

Finally, you can try some of these exercises to strengthen the feet as well as movement barefoot or with toe shoes. Click on Shoeless Strength Training. It's from this month's Runner's World (the print issue has actual written descriptions), and I've used all except the "one-foot hops with a twist" with success.

http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,,s6-241-0-0-0,00.html

Masochist
12-01-2010, 12:23
Another good thing to have in your freezer is a medium-sized (about the diameter of a Coke can) bottle of water. After runs/rucks where your arch ends up hurting, you can place the bottle on the floor and roll your foot over it. Concentrating on the arch helps bring the inflamation down, stretch it and the cold just makes tired feet feel good.

RockSolid
12-01-2010, 12:37
I was looking at some of the five fingers kso's, but I was a little hestiant, as I see so many people wearing them and was weary of the hokum. Ill pick them up and see what they can do with this instep issue. Ill try the stretching and icing also.

Thanks,

RS

The Reaper
12-01-2010, 13:14
I was looking at some of the five fingers kso's, but I was a little hestiant, as I see so many people wearing them and was weary of the hokum. Ill pick them up and see what they can do with this instep issue. Ill try the stretching and icing also.

Thanks,

RS

You won't be wearing them at SFAS or in the SFQC.

TR

RockSolid
12-01-2010, 13:31
You won't be wearing them at SFAS or in the SFQC.

TR

Understood. I will be prepared for both.

-RS

Boomer-61
12-09-2010, 11:55
Rocksolid,
Before you jump up and buy some expensive shoes to train in find out if there are any issues with your feet first. If you have an anatomical issue with your feet like flat feet or high arches or tight achilles; you may need orthotic supports. If your feet are "normal" then go on and increase your training little by little. Vibram shoes may be good for running and training your feet but anyone who carries a combat size load for distance may get into trouble. You need to protect your feet and as the Reaper has indicated you will be wearing boots in training and boots you must accomodate to.
Good luck sorting this out.

RockSolid
12-09-2010, 12:04
Heeded.

Im currently taking a break with rucking for speed. When I start training for it again and if the issue persists, I will seek a medical opinion first.

Thanks,
RS