PDA

View Full Version : Framing US Flag

airbornediver
11-27-2010, 11:24
I've got a US flag that was flown at the place where I was in Iraq that I want framed. I don't think its appropriate to frame it in a triangular flag case because I believe that to be used only for burial flags that are in memory of the fallen. I'd like to frame this flag up and hang it on my wall in my house, do any of you have any experience with this? Did you order a custom frame, build one, find one, or other option?

Thanks

Dusty
11-27-2010, 11:40
http://www.texasartdepot.com/p-7643-veteran-flag-frames.aspx

wet dog
11-27-2010, 12:16
It's your flag, do what you want with it.

The tri-frame is always appropiate, but I'd go big or go home. With a flag that flew over your camp down range, I'd have it framed to actual size, place it on my living room wall for all the world to see.

But that's just me.

WD

edited: Removing the flag from the ceiling.

x SF med
11-27-2010, 12:38
Ad-
Here's a link to the US Flag Code...

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html

Remember that the union (blue field with stars) needs to be to the flag's own right (your left when facing the flag, opposite) when flown or hung indoors. The Flag should not be used as a ceiling covering;
Title 36 USC, Chapter 10, Section 176(f)

There are no rules that I could find on framing, it actually appears to be a way to "display without dirtying or mutilating..."

lindy
11-27-2010, 15:31
I've got a US flag that was flown at the place where I was in Iraq that I want framed. I don't think its appropriate to frame it in a triangular flag case because I believe that to be used only for burial flags that are in memory of the fallen.

I think sometimes they look pretty good with the tri-fold. This one is hanging in a friend's house.

JJ_BPK
11-27-2010, 15:43
I have seen many flags displayed in the tri-fold case, most times with a small brass tag stating the event or a person being honored. To me the tir-fold case is much more refined and offers better protection for your flag.

I would suggest you sit down and type a short note with the details and circumstances surrounding the flag coming into your possession,, along with a copy of you orders for the deployment and tuck them into the display. That way the provenance will be passed on for future generation.

My $00.0002

:munchin

airbornediver
11-27-2010, 18:16
That's the plan, but with flag framed in its full size.

I have a flag thats in a tri-fold display, it honors my grandfather who is deceased. He was a career man, served in 5th Rangers in WWII. (one of the main reasons why I believe that the trifold display is for burial flags)

With my flag, I want to do the "go big" option. Framing store wants to charge me almost 400 bucks. I might end up going to Lowe's and building one myself and place it on my living room wall for all the world to see-which is what I want to do.

ZonieDiver
11-28-2010, 12:16
Framing store wants to charge me almost 400 bucks.

My recent experiences with framing stores would classify that figure as a bargain! :D

Dusty
11-28-2010, 12:40
Handy tips on this clip; you could size the frame to the Flag (+ background):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P9pAeti57Y

Buffalobob
11-28-2010, 14:15
Depending on your tastes and your home decor, old barn wood such as black gum can be made into a frame that is rough and that rough look tolerates a lot of "mistakes". Some 1/16 inch plywood can be used to make a back and that will eliminate the need for some of the fancy structural work. If you have a router, table saw or radial arm saw with dadoo blade you can inlet for a glass cover.

wet dog
11-28-2010, 17:26
My recent experiences with framing stores would classify that figure as a bargain! :D

Ain't that the truth.

Airbornediver, whatever you do, do it with pride. Take your time, do you reseach, make it perfect. Make it something worthy of family many years from now.

Good luck, good on you.

Wet Dog

airbornediver
11-30-2010, 13:06
I found a way to do, in fact, I found the exact way I was looking for.

Instructions are located at:

http://www.ronhazelton.com/archives/howto/flag_preservation_frame.shtm

The site includes instructions, pics, video, and materials & tools list to accomplish this task.

I'm excited about this find. I will be doing this project during my time off over Christmas. Once complete, I'll post pictures.

1stindoor
11-30-2010, 13:26
That looks good...a few helpful hints if I may.

If you don't have a router you can use a table saw or circular saw with a guide to cut your daddos. Go very slow and make shallow cuts.

If you own a router...get high quality blades...and start shallow.

Practice with some cheap pine first.

I've found that using whole stock works best as then you can cut your miters afterwards and know your grooves will line up.

And for my father...(may he smile knowing I'm passing this "gem" on)
Measure twice...throw away once and do it right the next time.

wet dog
11-30-2010, 13:33
That looks good...a few helpful hints if I may.

If you don't have a router you can use a table saw or circular saw with a guide to cut your daddos. Go very slow and make shallow cuts.

If you own a router...get high quality blades...and start shallow.

Practice with some cheap pine first.

I've found that using whole stock works best as then you can cut your miters afterwards and know your grooves will line up.

And for my father...(may he smile knowing I'm passing this "gem" on)
Measure twice...throw away once and do it right the next time.

I would add also, use the finest wood you can aford. Nothing quite like an exotic burl or other hardwood, lightly stained, not too distracting from the subject, but something that says, "Wow", or "Holy Cow, batman!".

Sigaba
11-30-2010, 13:43
I would suggest you sit down and type a short note with the details and circumstances surrounding the flag coming into your possession,, along with a copy of you orders for the deployment and tuck them into the display. That way the provenance will be passed on for future generation.ABD--

If you do take this piece of sound advice, please consider using archive-quality paper and ink so that the memorializing documents will last.

My $0.02.

Masochist
11-30-2010, 13:59
Please post pics when you are finished. After reading the Hazelton site, I'm excited for you.

Good luck.

Tree Potato
11-30-2010, 22:15
Another option: you could contact your local high school's wood shop teacher, explain what your end goal is, and see if a student or class needs a project. Students can do some pretty amazing work. They might also like to display it in the school for awhile...a good way to reinforce patriotism in our youth.

Buffalobob
12-01-2010, 06:30
The case may be pretty heavy, so you may want to do a little checking on where the studs are located on the wall you wish to hang it on before installing any type of hanging hardware on the case.

I also see none of us know how to correctly spell "dado". :D

1stindoor
12-01-2010, 08:41
I also see none of us know how to correctly spell "dado". :D

Darnit! I hate when I do that.

Roguish Lawyer
12-01-2010, 12:58
Here is one I have hanging in my office. Custom job with deep frame. Thanks again to my buddies in B/2/3!

wet dog
12-01-2010, 13:03
Darnit! I hate when I do that.

If you can't spell a word more than three ways, you have no imagination or failed O&I.

Pete
12-01-2010, 13:06
If you can't spell a word more than three ways, you have no imagination or failed O&I.

Back in the old days you just needed to know how to spell RFI.

airbornediver
03-01-2011, 11:38
Well I finally have my flag framed.

I ended up having it framed at the frame shop, for I did not have the proper tools to complete the job as per the site I originally posted. Maybe when I buy a house I'll get the tools and attempt that frame.

It does however, look pretty awesome, and the black frame matches all the other frames in my house. On each side of the flag are framed pics of my tours.

I'm pretty happy with the end result, and have received many complements from visitors. I find that it also tends to wow the ladies a little bit too ;)

cszakolczai
03-01-2011, 12:03
That does look pretty nice, I really like that. I have a couple of flags in my room along with my other displays. I usually do the tri fold because of space, but I do have a NVA flag hung up which a friend of mine gave me from 5th group.

Gypsy
03-01-2011, 18:31
Here is one I have hanging in my office. Custom job with deep frame. Thanks again to my buddies in B/2/3!

That's very nice. I have 3 large Flags from folks I wrote that were flown in combat missions with the certs...when I move into a larger place I'd like to frame all 3 like yours.

Unrelated, I currently have the Flag from the VA after my dad died, I bought a mahogany tri-frame at Hobby Lobby, they have two sizes...I got the large because it is a large flag. It was only $40.00, not too bad.

Well I finally have my flag framed.

Very nice!