PDA

View Full Version : Buying an AR

Huff9337
11-20-2010, 10:26
I am thinking about buying an AR. I have not kept up with the market. My last experenience was with the M16A2. So you know how far behind I am. I should probuley do some research, but want to ask. I do not want a 5.56, But do not know if I want a 6.8 or 308. Any help or sujestions would be appreciated.

The Reaper
11-20-2010, 10:28
I am thinking about buying an AR. I have not kept up with the market. My last experenience was with the M16A2. So you know how far behind I am. I should probuley do some research, but want to ask. I do not want a 5.56, But do not know if I want a 6.8 or 308. Any help or sujestions would be appreciated.

How much searching and reading have you done here first?

Have you read the sticky at the top of this forum?

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12917

TR

JJ_BPK
11-20-2010, 10:48
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

I use the AR15.com,, AR15 sub-fora as a reading point.

Those guys are not mil-spec but they live & breath anything CIVILIAN AR-xx related.

Additionally there are several sub-sub-fora specifically for the commercial vendors. Mark LaRue actually answers questions about his products..

There is a sub-sub-fora for just about all the various breeds.

My view is the 6.5 - 6.8 conundrum is far from resolved. The ammo is still to expensive, unless you reload. But either make good mid range deer rifles.

Personally, I would like to see more effort in developing a 35 cal round, something like the old 35 Rem or 358 Win that would operate using the 5.56 length action AND magazine. It would be a good CQB round, similar to the Ruski VSS 9x39..

My $00.0002

;)

Ambush Master
11-20-2010, 11:03

Take a look at the LaRue .308!! They're up in Leander, Texas!!

Huff9337
11-20-2010, 11:05
Thanks Reaper When back and started the stickie. when finished will then ask questions.

Gene Econ
11-20-2010, 16:22

H93:

As you read the stickies IAW TRSOP -- you need to do some serious thinking concerning your uses for the AR. Look at it as if you had a distinct requirement for a vehicle of some sort or a specialty tool and now you want to look at features that meet your needs.

Although there are many features one can argue over, I doubt anyone will argue over barrel quality. AR's that are made to mil spec standards are pretty much parts guns so if you don't like a trigger for example, you buy a better trigger and install it yourself using simple tools. Barrels on the other hand will mean something no matter how much one denies their marksmanship ability or purpose.

Get a quality barrel made by a reputable barrel maker or all the high speed parts in the world won't make the rifle shoot consistently well, day in and day out, no matter the conditions. Others can advise barrel makers but Krieger, Lilja, Hart, Shilen, Satern are a few of the better ones.

Gene

C0B2A
11-20-2010, 17:50
I use the AR15.com,, AR15 sub-fora as a reading point.

Those guys are not mil-spec but they live & breath anything CIVILIAN AR-xx related.

;)
ar15.com is the very last place I would recommend for educated reading when it comes to accurate good information on the AR market. That place is filled with a bunch of mall ninja wanna be's.

m4carbine.net is a great place filled with people who know what they are talking about and is closely moderated (like this place) in order to keep the disinformation at a minimum.

6.8 is a great option but unfortunately very few companies offer that as an option, LWRC is one of the best options there as far as I am concerned.. 7.62 for SPR have some of the absolute best companies making them. Check out the Larue OBR.
It all depends on intended use and funds.

HisDisciple
11-20-2010, 18:33
ar15.com is the very last place I would recommend for educated reading when it comes to accurate good information on the AR market. That place is filled with a bunch of mall ninja wanna be's.

m4carbine.net is a great place filled with people who know what they are talking about and is closely moderated (like this place) in order to keep the disinformation at a minimum.
It all depends on intended use and funds.

You couldn't get any more on target.
Funny, because I already sent him a pm with "The Chart" from M4carbine.net and mentioned the 3 main AR style 308s worth their salt.(Besides Knights)

LMT MWS:D-This one's great because you don't need to send the barrel into Knights to change barrel. 5R stainless barrel. $2,300 at mil. discount pricing too!
LARUE OBR- Hell of a man, anything he makes is GTG
SCAR-H-It's not a m14, nor an AR just a turkey.

Ramirez
11-21-2010, 10:51
I like M4C over ARFCOM, but feel both sites could use some manners.

zauber1
11-21-2010, 11:09
Would the general consensus of opinion be to BUY or to BUILD if one had a general budget of say $1500.00 US? I am also in the market for a weapon for general purpose usage and may want to go into the 3 gun match in the area (if they have a Senior category).

After having read the stickie at the heading of this category, I wish to retract this inane post and humbly offer my apologize for my lack of SA and my waste of bandwidth. Please Ignore all after "Would".

The Reaper
11-21-2010, 11:28
Would the general consensus of opinion be to BUY or to BUILD if one had a general budget of say $1500.00 US? I am also in the market for a weapon for general purpose usage and may want to go into the 3 gun match in the area (if they have a Senior category).

Unless you are really good at gunsmithing, I would take a completed rifle from a quality maker over a Frankengun every day.

That is not to say that a quality complete upper and a complete lower cannot be an option, if you cannot find the combo you want from a single manufacturer.

TR

koz
11-21-2010, 14:15
I'd look at Bravo Co USA -

They make very quality complete upper assemblies. They also are selling complete rifles now.

Ramirez
11-21-2010, 16:12
I'd look at Bravo Co USA -

They make very quality complete upper assemblies. They also are selling complete rifles now.

I like BCM and DD. They seem to really be listening to what people want and MAKING IT!!!

I put 300 rounds down my DDM4 V1 yesterday and another 100 on wednesday.

HisDisciple
11-21-2010, 16:39
I've already been PM over, "The Chart" so here it is; Paslode posted it already on another thread:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

It is why most people prefer Military TDP quality ARs over commercial junk.

Might as well by the right rifle the first time, and know you have a quality fighting gun. +1 for BCM, just ask Pat Rodgers.:D

Gene Econ
11-22-2010, 07:44
It is why most people prefer Military TDP quality ARs over commercial junk.

Might as well by the right rifle the first time, and know you have a quality fighting gun. +1 for BCM, just ask Pat Rodgers.:D

HD:

So, aside from the automatic features -- you would opt for an M-4 coming off the assembly line for issue as opposed to selecting the type of upper and parts you want from a reputable manufacturer?

Gene

HisDisciple
11-22-2010, 10:40
HD:

So, aside from the automatic features -- you would opt for an M-4 coming off the assembly line for issue as opposed to selecting the type of upper and parts you want from a reputable manufacturer?

Gene
Sir,

For a work gun I would every time, only to build upon the foundation. Then I would install a Crane O-ring, enhanced buffer spring, and H buffer or H2 buffer. If they were old GI mags I would insert a Magpul follower. As well as a LMT SOPMOD for cheek weld.:D

If I were concerned with an accuracy requirement such as DMR role, I would give Monty from Centurion Arms a call and order a MK12 barrel cut to whatever length I want. I would not forget about John Noveske or Mark Larue's barrels though.

P.S. It's hard to beat FailZeroe's EXO coating.

Is Mike Pannone on here? This thread is perfect for him.

Iraqgunz
11-23-2010, 07:21
Personally most of what you said is incorrect. If you have an AR that needs a Crane ring to function something is wrong. In most all AR's there is no need. Even many SBR's do not need them. If you are using an auto gun then I would possibly consider it.

Dicking around with buffer springs and buffers can also cause your weapon to malfunction. Most 16" guns will cycle and operate fine with a standard buffer or an H buffer. If your gun is overgassed or you are running suppressed as I do with my 11.5" gun then I would look at different buffers and springs.

As far as accuracy goes, define accuracy. I can hit a 12x16" steel plate all day long with my SBR using an ACOG and 55gr. ammo. That is more than accurate enough for anti-social purposes. So unless you are shooting competition or you are using it in some type of DDM role, the average quality barrel will be more than adequate.

I also do not need an O-ring for gun to reliably extract. I use an H3 and a Springco spring. I also run it suppressed 99% of the time. To date I have had one malfunction with well over 3000 rounds through it and it was ammo related (dead primer).

Sir,

For a work gun I would every time, only to build upon the foundation. Then I would install a Crane O-ring, enhanced buffer spring, and H buffer or H2 buffer. If they were old GI mags I would insert a Magpul follower. As well as a LMT SOPMOD for cheek weld.:D

If I were concerned with an accuracy requirement such as DMR role, I would give Monty from Centurion Arms a call and order a MK12 barrel cut to whatever length I want. I would not forget about John Noveske or Mark Larue's barrels though.

P.S. It's hard to beat FailZeroe's EXO coating.

Is Mike Pannone on here? This thread is perfect for him.

TrapLine
11-23-2010, 13:37
Thanks for the information. The post pregnancy hormones have had the strange effect of changing my wife's gun buying signal from red to yellow so I am in the early phase of AR fact finding. This will be my first AR type purchase so I have been studying the Primer thread trying to decide on the right weapon. The purpose will be primarily range work and secondarily for a SHTF type situation. At some point, when time permits, I would also like to do some training with one of the instructors recommended here. I am enjoying the input on the different configurations as I try to decide. I know that once I make the purchase there will be many additions I will want to make, such as optics, a light, a sling, etc. so I would at least like to get the basics right. Thanks again to all those making suggestions, they are appreciated.

perdurabo
11-29-2010, 14:34
For a work gun

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm curious. You mention your "work guns" and "work tools" often. I was curious about what kind of work you do?

I run into your posts on a lot of gun and SOF-related forums and you're always eager to post your advice and opinions on firearms and tactics.

I also ran across a post from TR stating that you've never served in the military. Is this correct? Are you civilian LE? You may want to post a bit more in your profile detailing your experience ("previous SOF generations" in your profile implies SOF experience to me, but I don't dare question TR :D ).

-- Jake

TrapLine
12-28-2010, 16:41
After doing some reading and shopping, I think I am going to go with a Daniel Defense upper for a first attempt on the AR platform. From what I have found, there is a pretty good deal going on right now on them in a variety of configurations. Now, the difficult part of deciding on the right set up. Does one go with a 14.5" or 16" barrel, light weight or M4 profile, a fsp or a low profile gas block, and which rail system? Time to do some more reading. Thanks in advance for any feedback from those who have preferences.

Iraqgunz
01-07-2011, 15:25
If your state allows SBR's then I would go with a 14.5". Personally the fixed FSB isn't bad and unless there is a real dislike of it, then leave it in place. One other is option is what I did to my SBR. I cut the FSB down and shaved it so it would fit under the DD rail system I installed. I did this because I am running a suppressor and wanted it to blend into the rail (concentric look). I am also using an ACOG along with fold down front and rear fold down sights.

Daniel Defense rail systems are rock solid, albeit not terribly cheap. Other options are Troy and MI. Or you could go simple with a Magpul MOE like I did for my wifes gun.

Daniel Defense makes a solid gun and I am sure that you will be more than satisfied with them.

After doing some reading and shopping, I think I am going to go with a Daniel Defense upper for a first attempt on the AR platform. From what I have found, there is a pretty good deal going on right now on them in a variety of configurations. Now, the difficult part of deciding on the right set up. Does one go with a 14.5" or 16" barrel, light weight or M4 profile, a fsp or a low profile gas block, and which rail system? Time to do some more reading. Thanks in advance for any feedback from those who have preferences.

TrapLine
01-08-2011, 09:31
If your state allows SBR's then I would go with a 14.5". Personally the fixed FSB isn't bad and unless there is a real dislike of it, then leave it in place. One other is option is what I did to my SBR. I cut the FSB down and shaved it so it would fit under the DD rail system I installed. I did this because I am running a suppressor and wanted it to blend into the rail (concentric look). I am also using an ACOG along with fold down front and rear fold down sights.

Daniel Defense rail systems are rock solid, albeit not terribly cheap. Other options are Troy and MI. Or you could go simple with a Magpul MOE like I did for my wifes gun.

Daniel Defense makes a solid gun and I am sure that you will be more than satisfied with them.

Thanks for the reply, Iraqgunz. After doing some more reading here, especially the Primer, I went with a DD CHF 16" lightweight with a mid length gas system, fixed FSB, with the 9.0 AR15 Lite Rail and the Phantom flash hider. I wanted to keep things basic and learn how to shoot it reliably with irons before thinking about optics. I also felt that basic would be sound given it will be my only AR for a while, most likely. Thanks to all who have supplied hard earned experience here. Back to reading on lowers.

cszakolczai
01-08-2011, 10:43
Thanks for the reply, Iraqgunz. After doing some more reading here, especially the Primer, I went with a DD CHF 16" lightweight with a mid length gas system, fixed FSB, with the 9.0 AR15 Lite Rail and the Phantom flash hider. I wanted to keep things basic and learn how to shoot it reliably with irons before thinking about optics. I also felt that basic would be sound given it will be my only AR for a while, most likely. Thanks to all who have supplied hard earned experience here. Back to reading on lowers.

Nice choice, that will be a really nice shooter. Is the rail a free float or non?

I would check out gunbroker or any local gun shows for a good deal on a lower. I picked up my lower brand new stripped for 90 bucks. Its DTI and its great. Just assembled it myself and saved a lot of money.