PDA

View Full Version : Student, need help with contigency plan

Martin
08-19-2004, 04:45
Question: Should I read another course of math that teaches logaritms, derivate and polynom (a few more things, and I guess these might be called differently in english)?

Goal: Enlist in the US Army, serve as an airborne soldier to become proficient with the tools and if still alive, apply for SF.

I've got primary and alternate plans for acquiring the I-551, but they are very shaky.

The contingency plan is to study at college or university, preferably in the US, but that might be problematic (economically, unless I lose all moral).

But still, if applying to college or university, a. internationally or b. in the US, how necessary or useful would the above math course be? I'm thinking history, international relations, military history or alike. In Sweden you need that math course even for many things unrelated to math.

Currently planned courses for this, last, year:
Short courses in:
International relations
Philosophy
Psychology ("step two")
Swedish (step two and then three)

Normal sized courses in:
Geography (step one)
French (step five)
Spanish (step three)
Russian (step two and three)

I'm going to be reading step three of russian on my own with only very elementary support of the teacher.

Workout and training:
Running and weight lifting (resting right now and will soon dress off to become a naked warrior ;) ), and will soon start with Tsu Shin Gen again.

Additional reading is also active and planned (Understanding Terror Networks, Street Without Joy, HFCUI, etc).

Reasoning:
I want to become as good as possible at everything, but putting a clear priority on the physical to become a good fighter, and the language studies. These are also things you cannot really train too much (though I managed that with the weights...), so the question is if the math is necessary in regards to the contingency plan stated above?

Thank you very much. I appreciate any advice you might have.

PS. Yes, there's an emergency plan too... DS.

Tuukka
08-19-2004, 08:49
Already completed your conscript service in the Swedish Army?

Martin
08-19-2004, 12:08
Originally posted by Tuukka
Already completed your conscript service in the Swedish Army?

They didn't want me. I scored pretty well, top 7%* nationally, in both tests - didn't get to do the third-, but was turned down after a long chat with the psychologist. A retest request was also rejected, stating that it was too early after the decision was taken. Though the time limit to submit was within three weeks of the decision, or wait another year...

We talked about a few a little rough years. He didn't comprehend devotion to overcome.

*Said 12% to TR & Solid, turns out it was 7%.
-----

I have grades in two math courses already, but I don't know if these two covers the demands internationally/USA in general.
It just crossed my mind that this is half in half a dumb question, since the actual convertion of grades has a great affect on this.
Maybe a better formulation is: In the USA or internationally in general, how do you they look at the grades when applying, specifically for foreign attendees?

The primary plan is the US Diversity Lottery. If you have any ideas what to do in the interim, please speak up! I'm open to suggestions.

Martin

Tuukka
08-19-2004, 12:39
Exactly what is the percentage, they draft of the age class yearly?

Martin
08-19-2004, 12:52
Originally posted by Tuukka
Exactly what is the percentage, they draft of the age class yearly?

They draft the age class yearly, but some are postponed if they are not doing their final year in school yet.

The points you receive are set according to certain percentages which correlate to the amount of people nationally to perform at that level. I don't know if they measure against the previous year or an average over several years, but I suppose so since it would otherwise reveal weird results.

I've not read up on it, just heard what friends have said.

The scores are issues on a scale of 1-9. 9 is 4%, 8 is 7%, and so on.

Like I said, didn't really care, but some friends mentioned it. I, obviously, got 8's. Thought the percentage would be easier to grasp.