PDA

View Full Version : Recognize this Bad Tölz coin?


Callsign
11-16-2010, 18:25
My father got this when he was stationed in Germany. On his behalf he wanted to see if anyone else had the same. And something about challenging for a beer?

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/303/coin1.jpg http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/2333/coin2.jpg

bost1751
11-16-2010, 18:40
Yep, I have one.

The Reaper
11-16-2010, 21:04
My father got this when he was stationed in Germany. On his behalf he wanted to see if anyone else had the same. And something about challenging for a beer?

Not unless you somehow earned that coin on your own.

TR

Callsign
11-16-2010, 21:25
Not unless you somehow earned that coin on your own.

TR

(Bad english points for me, I meant him* challenging for a beer not me.)

The only way I could get it is if I somehow passed the Q course he says.

Richard
11-16-2010, 21:29
SFDA(E) was a HQs/staff element subordinate to 7th Corps (US)/SOCEUR when I was there - the 2 companies which made up 1-10th were considered a different animal and had a bit more convoluted chain-of-command. We in 1-10th would rather buy the beer than brandish a DetEur coin. ;)

Richard :munchin

CSB
11-16-2010, 22:18
Ask your daddy if he recognizes anybody in these pictures: They are from SF Detachment Europe ready for a Hollywood jump into the snow in January 1981 from a CH-47 Chinook. Jumpmaster is wearing a HALO bunny helmet. (Pay no attention to the handsome young Captain on the right).
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11121

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11120

rdret1
11-17-2010, 04:44
Not unless you somehow earned that coin on your own.

TR

They work well at getting posers to shut up though. Back around '88 or so, my wife and I went to eat at one of the restaurants that were in Parkwood Mall. About 5 young guys sitting in a booth behind us were talking trash to the rather cute waitress. They had made a comment about being in Grp and when she asked what they did, one of them said "if I tell you, I have to kill you." When she came by I loaned her my coin and told her what to do with it. She threw it on their table and after some initial "oh shit, where did you get that?" She calmly told them "If I tell you, I have to kill you." My wife about fell out her chair. Made the waitresses' night too.

cszakolczai
11-17-2010, 13:43
They work well at getting posers to shut up though. Back around '88 or so, my wife and I went to eat at one of the restaurants that were in Parkwood Mall. About 5 young guys sitting in a booth behind us were talking trash to the rather cute waitress. They had made a comment about being in Grp and when she asked what they did, one of them said "if I tell you, I have to kill you." When she came by I loaned her my coin and told her what to do with it. She threw it on their table and after some initial "oh shit, where did you get that?" She calmly told them "If I tell you, I have to kill you." My wife about fell out her chair. Made the waitresses' night too.

Hopefully the waitress gave you a nice discount off your bill, especially for helping her out like that.

lksteve
11-17-2010, 14:32
Ask your daddy if he recognizes anybody in these pictures: They are from SF Detachment Europe ready for a Hollywood jump into the snow in January 1981 from a CH-47 Chinook. (Pay no attention to the handsome young Captain on the right). Hmmm...1st Battalion musta been up on the Brauneck for ski training...ah, the good old days...given a season ski pass and told to use it to the max...and I did...

Callsign
11-17-2010, 21:47
He said the one on the far left looks like Kenneth Garci(sp). As far as the captain, says he looks "familiar". He arrived in May 1981 from Ft. Devens and worked for CSM Morale. Also worked with Captain Dodd and MSG Gwenn at PCT.

lksteve
11-17-2010, 22:17
He said the one on the far left looks like Kenneth Garci(sp). As far as the captain, says he looks "familiar". He arrived in May 1981 from Ft. Devens and worked for CSM Morale. Also worked with Captain Dodd and MSG Gwenn at PCT.I don't think that's Garcy...and in 1981, Chuck Gwinnn was still the 1st Battalion Medic...I didn't know that Dodd went to PCT, he was in Det Europe Plans and Training at the time...the CSM was SMA Morrell...

Callsign
11-18-2010, 18:45
I don't think that's Garcy...and in 1981, Chuck Gwinnn was still the 1st Battalion Medic...I didn't know that Dodd went to PCT, he was in Det Europe Plans and Training at the time...the CSM was SMA Morrell...

Correction on my part, he said CPT Dodd became CDR of PCT in '82. And Gwinn was the 1SG. CSM Morrell went to recruiting command and then became CSM of the Army.

In 1995 he had talked to LTC Dodd who was commanding the Albany recruiting Battalion in New York. And stated he was up for Colonel. Anyone know if he did?

He stayed in touch with MSG Gwinn when stationed in Colorado where he retired.