PDA

View Full Version : Way of the Warrior

rdret1
11-11-2010, 21:39
I just happened on a PBS broadcast called "The Way of the Warrior." It is a brief history of Native Americans serving as soldiers in the U.S. military. It spans from WWI to today. Even though PBS often has a liberal view of things, this is an excellent program.

Snaquebite
11-12-2010, 06:49
Watched it last night. Very well done and informative.

Pete
11-12-2010, 07:59
Joe Medicine Crow is the last War Chief of the Crow Nation - from WW II.

I thought somebody qualified as a War Chief from the Gulf War or WoT.

The first three requirements seem pretty standard - it's getting the horse that seems to be the problem now days.

Edited to add - Wonder how that would go over "Sir, I need to steal a horse from the enemy."

Buffalobob
11-12-2010, 14:48
They could substitute a camel or goat for the horse requirement! :D

mojaveman
11-12-2010, 14:59
The movie "Windtalkers" about the Navajo communicators in the Pacific during WWII that came out a few years ago was pretty good. Those guys waited a long time to get recognition for what they did.

LibraryLady
10-29-2015, 10:01
Joe Medicine Crow is the last War Chief of the Crow Nation - from WW II.

I thought somebody qualified as a War Chief from the Gulf War or WoT.

The first three requirements seem pretty standard - it's getting the horse that seems to be the problem now days.

Edited to add - Wonder how that would go over "Sir, I need to steal a horse from the enemy."

Dr. Joe just turnd 102 this week. I've listened to him tell his stories and they are truly amazing. His actual capture of the enemy horses was not from orders on high, rather from hs own inititative.

I know of another Crow who achieved the other 3 also in Vietnam but never managed the horse requirement.

LL

Sohei
10-29-2015, 10:55
He is a walking encyclopedia of history. I can only imagine the history that he has witnessed and experienced.

That would be some interesting conversations.

Pete
04-07-2016, 07:38
Crow tribe war chief, WWII veteran Joe Medicine Crow is laid to rest

http://www.fayobserver.com/military/crow-tribe-war-chief-wwii-veteran-joe-medicine-crow-is/article_b1eba662-c01b-566e-9114-68b7a32e7979.html

"BILLINGS, Mont. - Montana officials and tribal leaders in ceremonial headdresses laid to rest a revered warrior and keeper of Crow Indian traditions Wednesday, 102-year-old Joe Medicine Crow.

He was the last in a long line of Crow Tribe war chiefs, and later successfully assimilated into the modern world to gain widespread acclaim as a Native American historian. More than 700 mourners, including Gov. Steve Bullock and other state officials, gathered to bid Medicine Crow farewell at a service marked by military pomp and traditional regalia...."

RIP

Sohei
04-08-2016, 21:28
Rest In Peace, Chief and thank you for your service!