PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy Bear Suit?

Scotty
11-08-2010, 14:54
Earlier this year I was at a get together with some vetted folks from another forum and one was a former SF troop (now DOJ) who had on an issued fleece jacket. It was shaggier than your average fleece and brown. He told me who made it (after about a case of beer) and I have since forgotten (since I sobered up the next AM).

Anyone know the company that makes these and where I can get one? I froze all night in my tent that night while he slept on the ground under a woobie and was toasty. Yes, I want to keep up with the Jones's out of sheer jealousy.

Thanks,

Scotty

The Reaper
11-08-2010, 15:07
Scottay!

There used to be tons of them in the pawn shops and surplus stores around Bragg.

Next time you are in town , take a look around.

Ugliest garment ever issued, IMHO.

TR

Pete
11-08-2010, 15:12
We called the exterior jacket issued with the poly pro and Gortex system in the 80's the Wooly Bear jacket.

Kinda' looked like a black/dark brown sheep skin you could stick your finger down in. While warm as heck on it's own it worked best with the Gortex jacket to cut the wind.

Sounds like something similar.

There are lots and lots of warmies on the market today in many, many styles, weights and man made materials.

Most call the heavy ones "SpecOp weight" .

bubba
11-08-2010, 17:48
If it's the PCU (Protective Combat Uniform) Level 3 fleece, then it's made by Serki (at least the 2 I have are). Parts of that system have been made by patagonia in the past though, and they may make / have made it also.

ZonieDiver
11-08-2010, 18:18
Does it look like this????

Peregrino
11-08-2010, 18:54
The problem with the bear suits was/is bulk. Bulk does translate to warmth; however, non-compressible bulk is a PITA when you have limited cubage in the ruck. That's why the new stuff doesn't use pile - and it compresses to a fraction of it's original volume. The surplus stores around here have a large selection.

Scotty
11-08-2010, 21:55
Thanks guys, I'll have to see if I can't get to Bragg sooner than later. With a new daughter, it's hard to get away.

Zonie, that is almost exactly like it but it seemed less annoying. :)

TR, Zulu is supposed to be up there soon (if he didn't come by and not tell me) so I will see if I can make a visit soon. Need to see Paul H too.

Scotty

PS - if anyone has or finds one in XL, I'll pay for them to grab it and send it.

incarcerated
11-08-2010, 23:27
More pile than fleece, a variation on early ‘80s kayaking sweaters:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=160279
WX2-55432 - New U.S. Mil. Fleece Bear Jacket, Brown
$19.97
Club Price $17.97

And yes, they are warm.
And ugly.

Masochist
11-09-2010, 00:08
You talking about these?

I have two sets (top/bottom) in black, one slightly used and the other new with tags, packed away in a ruck somewhere. I believe they're a L/R if that would fit you.

Scotty
11-09-2010, 07:36
Masochist, yes that looks like it. Let me know and we'll work something out.

I'm not sure how they size, but I'm 6'3 and 225. I typically wear XL on most things, though some larges fit me too.

Thanks all for the responses!

Scotty

Masochist
11-09-2010, 10:16
Masochist, yes that looks like it. Let me know and we'll work something out.

I'm not sure how they size, but I'm 6'3 and 225. I typically wear XL on most things, though some larges fit me too.

Thanks all for the responses!

Scotty

Scotty,

I'll go digging around tonight and see what I can find for you.

Masochist
11-10-2010, 17:44
PM inbound.