PDA

View Full Version : 18A ODA turn over rate

engineered2win
11-07-2010, 20:49
Hi, I've been on this site for a few weeks and just finished GET SELECTED! and I have a few questions.

I understand that the turn over rate for 18A's on an ODA is between 1-3 years, with 3 years being extremely rare. It seems that you will spend as much time in the special forces pipeline as you will operating on an actual team. From what I've gathered if you want to be on an ODA you want to be an NCO, and if you want to be an officer that is a different career path.

1) Why is this so short?
2) Where do you typically go after being on an ODA? The turnover rate seems too high for everyone to be promoted to staff. In a company with 6 ODAs there would be an average of one new officer ever 4 months (assuming 24 month cycle).
3) In retrospect, would any of you 18A's have rather been a NCO than an officer so you could spend more time on a team?

Thanks in advance.

The Reaper
11-07-2010, 20:53
Hi, I've been on this site for a few weeks and just finished GET SELECTED! and I have a few questions.

I understand that the turn over rate for 18A's on an ODA is between 1-3 years, with 3 years being extremely rare. It seems that you will spend as much time in the special forces pipeline as you will operating on an actual team. From what I've gathered if you want to be on an ODA you want to be an NCO, and if you want to be an officer that is a different career path.

1) Why is this so short?
2) Where do you typically go after being on an ODA? The turnover rate seems too high for everyone to be promoted to staff. In a company with 6 ODAs there would be an average of one new officer ever 4 months (assuming 24 month cycle).
3) In retrospect, would any of you 18A's have rather been a NCO than an officer so you could spend more time on a team?

Thanks in advance.

Not to be rude, but have you done much research and reading here?

Most of these issues have been covered adequately before.

No need to start a new thread to discuss them again, is there?

Since you have not earned a commission or joined, why is this relevant to you?

How long do you think a Company Commander on the conventional side is in command?

Where do they go when they are finished with command?

I think you need to do some homework.

TR

Dozer523
11-08-2010, 00:05
Regarding that Captain-thing may I add,

On day one it looks like "FOR-effing-EVER" :eek:
On day 547 it feels like "I just got here" :(

And you spend the rest of your time in Group praying someone lets you do it again.:D

LongWire
11-08-2010, 09:38
Oh, and here I always thought it was to keep the O's fresh, since we all know that they do All the Work!!!! :D:p

Dozer523
11-08-2010, 11:51
Oh, and here I always thought it was to keep the O's fresh, since we all know that they do All the Work!!!! :D:p Oh yeah.

All 18A OER Support forms list just one goals:
Will walk on water.

A year later the accomplishment bullet will read (if his luck holds out):
"Did not drown."

Green Light
11-08-2010, 17:16
Oh yeah.

All 18A OER Support forms list just one goals:
Will walk on water.

A year later the accomplishment bullet will read (if his luck holds out):
"Did not drown."

:D

That's a keeper!

Pete
11-08-2010, 17:41
.... as you will operating on an actual team. From what I've gathered if you want to be on an ODA you want to be an NCO,....

"an actual team"

While everyone seems to focus on the A Team lets not forget the B Team is an actual Team in it's own darn self.

An 18A also has the chance to come back as the B Team Commander as do 18Zs as the Company SGM.

If I can't be on an A Team I'll settle for a B Team position.

Richard
11-08-2010, 20:32
"an actual team"

A, B, or C - it's all good...especially when compared to the alternatives. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Utah Bob
11-10-2010, 18:50

Boy that's for sure.:rolleyes:

fasteddie565
02-04-2011, 18:13
Only my second post here but I spent a little time on a team as an 18A (a trifle over 4 years or so, plus a school house detachment in Key West).

You have to understand that the journeyman of Special Forces are the NCO's. They make up the nucleus of the team.. These men, as you will soon see, deserve the finest leadership out there as well as the finest staff officers the Army can produce.

Its not really about what the team can do for you, its more about what you can do for the team.

Trust me, you spend 24 hrs a day for 24 months with 11 of the strongest willed cats you have ever met, a little break isn't all that bad.

Blueboy
02-04-2011, 20:39
Hey engineered2win,

Consider this: As a Special Forces officer, you will have the opportunity to command as a Captain (ODA and possibly a second ODA or Headquarters Company) and as a Major (SF Company/ODB)---if you're good enough, that is.
SF Bn command (LTC) and SF Group command (COL) are way too far down the road for you to consider right now, but you get the picture.

Like the other QP's are saying, focus on the 25 m target. First you have to prove that you have what it takes to be a member of our Regiment.

Best of luck.

Dozer523
02-04-2011, 21:34
Hey engineered2win,

Consider this: As a Special Forces officer, you will have the opportunity to command as a Captain (ODA and possibly a second ODA or Headquarters Company) and as a Major (SF Company/ODB)---if you're good enough, that is.
SF Bn command (LTC) and SF Group command (COL) are way too far down the road for you to consider right now, but you get the picture.

Like the other QP's are saying, focus on the 25 m target. First you have to prove that you have what it takes to be a member of our Regiment.

Best of luck. Well that's true . . . there is a career pyramid. but . . . you can see it ALL from the bottom (unlike all other branches). After ODA the slope get wicked steep.
Good advice from BB.
When you take your team enjoy it, because it is fleeting.

But, oh man what a ride!

wet dog
02-04-2011, 22:50
The worst "big suck fest - bad - shitty day" is SF is still better than any other good day, anywhere else.

That's all I'm going to say about it.

Pete
04-20-2011, 13:13
everything throwing the word team around.

Special Operations Team - Alpha.

Theres the mystery few outside of the SF world have heard of.

mpower - you do notice you are the only non SF type - other than the original poster - posting in this thread?

This forum is not your playground. Read more post less.

The Reaper
04-20-2011, 14:18
everything throwing the word team around.

Special Operations Team - Alpha.

Theres the mystery few outside of the SF world have heard of.

mpower:

You have had plenty of warnings.

You are not a peer here, you are a guest.

If you continue popping up in these threads, you are going to have a new user title, and you may be reading, but you will no longer be posting here.

I will not tell you this again.

TR

greenberetTFS
04-20-2011, 16:46

Exactly..............;)

Big Teddy :munchin