PDA

View Full Version : Walter Brend?

orko
11-07-2010, 09:30
anyone have any knives made by walter brend? I have been thinking of adding a fixed blade to my collection.

The Reaper
11-07-2010, 10:32
anyone have any knives made by walter brend? I have been thinking of adding a fixed blade to my collection.

I do.

TR

orko
11-09-2010, 09:45
which model did you go with? Does the quality justify the price?

The Reaper
11-09-2010, 10:17
which model did you go with? Does the quality justify the price?

Bought a used one a buddy had. 6.5" Fighter, serrated.

His knives are outstanding quality, wicked feeling, and command art work prices.

He is semi-retired and is not making much new these days. The secondary market is the primary source for his knives.

Bill has handled them, maybe he can provide a professional opinion.

TR

Bill Harsey
11-09-2010, 10:48
Mr. Brend makes an exceptional knife.

What you pay for a knife is up to you.

How much is spent on firearms, optics or ammo?
How much did you pay for your pickup or car?
It's all a matter of choice.

On another note, It is the high end custom makers that lead the way for the modern knife industry. You win when you get about any knife on the market now.

The Reaper
11-09-2010, 10:53
Bill:

I think there are exceptional values across the full price range nowdays, as well as some bad deals.

Would you agree that there are some very good knives for the price in many manufacturers' lines, to include Spyderco, CRKT, etc., and that it is possible to get a decent knife with great "bang for the buck"?

TR

Bill Harsey
11-09-2010, 13:30
Bill:

I think there are exceptional values across the full price range nowdays, as well as some bad deals.

Would you agree that there are some very good knives for the price in many manufacturers' lines, to include Spyderco, CRKT, etc., and that it is possible to get a decent knife with great "bang for the buck"?

TR

Yes, I fully agree that many production knives are not just good but because of the alloys, knowledge of heat treat and blade grinding are better than any ever produced before.

Sal,
You around? Your thoughts are always appreciated and respected.

TazKristi
11-10-2010, 16:12
Yes, I fully agree that many production knives are not just good but because of the alloys, knowledge of heat treat and blade grinding are better than any ever produced before.

Sal,
You around? Your thoughts are always appreciated and respected.

I'm not Sal, but I can certainly get a message to him to come by for a visit. ;) Sal and I have been on the road (separately) more often than not for the past couple of months. I'm afraid neither of us has had much forum time. I'm in The Reaper's neighborhood right now (thank you for your words of wisdom and for letting me know about this thread).

Stay safe ya'll.

Kristi

sal
11-10-2010, 18:09
Hi Bill,

I'm on-the-road, less forum time, sorry. (Thanx Kristi).

Modern Production knives can easily rival custom knives in basics. Quality, materials and fit and finish of production knives have come a long way in the past 20 years.

It's the design that carries a model across time. Walter Brend made his name not only from his quality knives, but for his well thought out designs. There are a few production variations of his designs available at this time.

Today's production offerings are exceptional in quality and materials and there are some really well designed knives out there. I would say that unles you are particularly set on owning an "original" had made Walter Brend knife, more for personal or market "art" value, you could find a less expensive production offering for using.

sal